Is there a good Helicopter Sim out there ??

Associate
OP
X55 Rhino, TrackIR5 and once I get it setup, VoiceAttack.

LOL so I am looking at your reply again and notice "TrackIR5" I had no idea what this is so off I went to find out .... and OMG I am so far out of touch its untrue....

I had no idea that you could get a head tracking unit for looking around this making my 3 screen setup look more and more worth while... Another thing added to the shopping list this place is costing me a fortune.

Beans on toast it is then :)

Soldato
Track IR is absolutely incredible, amazing, fantastic, wonderful etc for flight sims. If you 're making a coice between £155 joystick and £40 joystick (MSFF2 ;)) and the rest for track IR - second option is so much better its unreal. Track ir is one of the great inventions for gaming and really makes flying in virtual cockpit come alive, in a completely natural way too.

Soldato
AAAnd you'll regret it as soon as you fire up a helicopter, a WW2 bird... hell even A10 has nice Force feedback that lets you feel a stall approaching and turn hard enough to turn fast but not stall - without FF you just loose that. ;)

Get the Hotas by all means, but dont discard the classic MSFF2 too quickly ;)

Soldato
I'm watching a MSFF2 on Ebay, worth a try if I can get cheap, will be getting a CH Throttle to go with it. This is the last resort before going for the CH Fighterstick Pro having been let down by Saitek. Warthog looks quite nice but I'm mainly getting it for Elite and the stick just looks way too tall to be mounted on a desk.

Soldato
CH throttle seems to be lacking in rotaries (uselful for WW2 trim), I was thinking about it myself, but now I'm thinking about x52pro throttle. Still not sure about it though, Ive got enough gaming gear as it is- with G27 knocking about as well :)

Soldato
Watching it with interest, but with these graphics being imminent in DCS

chappers will get a new breath of life, plus Belsimtek's DCS AH-1 Cobra is confirmed in the works http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3744849/Belsimtek_AH_1. But we'll see :)

Agreed mate, hopefully will be the W version, so we can use tow missiles, and a must have is 2 player mode..

The X52 throttle is a weird one, the hat switches aren't that great and I am having bother getting another couple of sims working well with it. Plus the software is a pain if you use that..

I'm watching a MSFF2 on Ebay, worth a try if I can get cheap, will be getting a CH Throttle to go with it. This is the last resort before going for the CH Fighterstick Pro having been let down by Saitek. Warthog looks quite nice but I'm mainly getting it for Elite and the stick just looks way too tall to be mounted on a desk.

I was searching and trying to buy one for ages, lost about 10 bids on ebay. Eventually got one from the MM on here, from a guy who lived 5 miles away fro £25 I think it was.. :)

Worth going to £40 max I think mate.

Last edited:
Associate
If the AH-64 is your thing then no. Not until Combat Helo comes out.

gowknom.jpg

I really hope it comes with some of the period synth pop music featured in this video because I want to fly around to it :cool:

Soldato
I was searching and trying to buy one for ages, lost about 10 bids on ebay. Eventually got one from the MM on here, from a guy who lived 5 miles away fro £25 I think it was.. :)

Worth going to £40 max I think mate.

That I believe is what one classes as a result.

Soldato
IIRC, I picked up Take On from Humble for a couple of quid.
It's not the most amazing graphically, but from my limited number of hours flying a real helicopter almost two decades ago... it's bloody good fun and pretty realistic.
For that price, I don't think you can go very wrong.

Associate
If the AH-64 is your thing then no. Not until Combat Helo comes out.

gowknom.jpg

I really hope it comes with some of the period synth pop music featured in this video because I want to fly around to it :cool:

Wow never heard of this till now, gonna check it out. I remember playing Microprose Gunship, classic sims !

Last edited:
Soldato
I have purchased Take On Helicopters with the hinds pack so ill be giving that a spin as well :)

Its alright, very buggy and hasnt got any form of VRS implemented at all..

In fact the handling is very far off a true sim such as the huey, MI8, black shark etc..

Back
Top Bottom