Had an accident :(

Soldato
Yeah the other driver admitted liability and I'm dealing with his insurer. I don't want the hassle of repairing the car and I don't want it back to sell which knowing my luck I won't be able to shift it.

I was under the impression that if it was a write off they would take ownership of the car and offer me a figure.

What do you actually want? Would you prefer the car repaired, and delivered back to you? Would you rather have a cheque and buy something new?

Think about what you'd like, and we can then suggest some advise.

If you like the car, and want it back, then ask them what the repair estimate was, and if it's not way over the car's value, you can probably force them to repair it.

If you don't want the car back as you think the car won't be the same again, then tell them you don't want the car back, so they need to bump their offer up, and they keep the car. Also, get them to confirm in advance that they won't take the courtesy car back (they have given you one, right?) as soon as they give you the cheque (as it might take a couple of weeks to buy the new car).
Your insurer will have a clause that as soon as they give you the cheque, they take the courtesy car back, but as it's their insurer, you can insist on keeping it longer to give you time to buy the car, get the tax sorted e.t.c.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I just want a cheque for the value of the car so I can buy something else. I'll give em a call and see what they say.

Ok gave them a call and they've said the reason I'm getting it back is cause they don't deal with third party salvage. So whatever happens I'm gonna be the owner of a Cat C write off that I have to sell for £700+ to be relatively happy. Anyway bloke said it's been sent back to the engineer to double check it, they better not lower the offer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, no, no! As the innocent party in the accident you are entitled to be placed in the same position that you were in before the accident. That is a car similar in age, condition and price to your car or compensation to allow you to purchase one. I have no idea what their insurance company is up to but it doesn't sound right at all!

Man of Honour
I just want a cheque for the value of the car so I can buy something else. I'll give em a call and see what they say.

Ok gave them a call and they've said the reason I'm getting it back is cause they don't deal with third party salvage. So whatever happens I'm gonna be the owner of a Cat C write off that I have to sell for £700+ to be relatively happy. Anyway bloke said it's been sent back to the engineer to double check it, they better not lower the offer.

Tell them you don't deal with third party salvage either and expect full payment and removal of the vehicle.

Soldato
Tell them you don't deal with third party salvage either and expect full payment and removal of the vehicle.

Exactly this. Stick to your guns here. Point out to the other insurer that you are the injured party here, and through no fault of your own, you're in this situation. Their responsibility as the insurer is to put you back into the position you were in before the crash, and this also includes inconveniencing you as little as possible.

This is why they collect the car from your house, deliver the courtesy car to your house and so on.

So, from your point of view, you absolutely do not want a car returned to you. if it's a write off, then it's a write off - they give you a cheque, and continued use of the courtesy car while you find a new vehicle and you don't want the hassle of any salvage. If they don't deal with salvage, then they should pay a company that does to collect the car from wherever it currently is (presumably their bodyshop/assessor). If they are going to return a hunk of metal to you, then point out that they will need to authorise paying you for all your costs in disposing of the vehicle (which will most likely involve paying a company to take it away).

Which car is it by the way?

Soldato
I dunno it didn't sound like I have any choice in the matter.

Forgot to reply to this point. You have all the choice in the world. You've signed no terms and conditions with this insurer. You don't have to follow any of their policies. They are simply a company who is required to put you back in the position you were in before the crash.

This means any expenses you incur (such as the time dealing with them) can and should be claimed for. I would suggest reminding them that their actions are begininng to inconvenience you and are starting to cause you stress. They should be dealing with everything to make your life as easy as possible.

Associate
OP
Oh well Bloke at Eldon insurance said cheque is on it's way, courtesy car will be returned in 7 days and I now have to sort out getting back and getting rid of my wrecked car. Really ****** process imho.

Associate
That is absolutely unacceptable in my eyes! I wouldn't be standing for that at all, complain and ask to speak to a manager at the insurance company. You shouldn't have to sort out your wrecked car, that's their job and they are trying to palm it off to you!

Associate
Oh well Bloke at Eldon insurance said cheque is on it's way, courtesy car will be returned in 7 days and I now have to sort out getting back and getting rid of my wrecked car. Really ****** process imho.

Am I reading that right? You've not fought them over the wreck and they are making you sort it out?!? I'd be straight on the phone to them demanding they put you back in the position you were in before their client drove into you. Including them delaing with your now written off car. That's disgusting behaviour from them.

Soldato

Tell them it's not on, and refuse to accept the salvage. Unfortunately it seems to be SOP for insurance companies to try it on at every single opportunity, as most people just give in and accept it.

Soldato
I just phoned up my own insurance company to put it on hold until I get a new car and asked them if this is normal & they said it is.

So you chaps are saying phone them back and kick up a fuss?

Yes, it's "normal" for them to give you a lowball offer, however I don't think I've ever heard of someone being forced to take back the salvage. What would they do if you don't have somewhere off the road to store it until you dispose of it? Would they expect you to keep it taxed and insured during that time?

If they've written it off, then effectively what happens is they "buy" the salvage off you for it's market value before it was crashed. They can't then force you to buy it back from them.

Associate
OP
Phoned them and I'm getting it back, nowt I can do about that and It'll be stuck on the road cause I don't have somewhere off road to store it. The only thing I've managed to do was get them to make up for the difference between their valuation and the salvagers.

Back
Top Bottom