How do they block wifi

Associate
So on London Underground you can now get free wifi, whoopee. It is available on the platforms. What i want to know is this, I work from a portacabin, maybe about 10-20M below and the same distance away from one of these wifi enabled platforms/stations but i cannot pick up the virgin wifi signal from the cabin. I can pick it up on my phone no problem at all when on the platform. How are they preventing it from being accessible over a larger range? Is there some dirty tricks going on?

Associate
I'd guess that you being 20+ meters away, underground and in a metal box will be reducing the chances of you picking up a signal. Also - as dalepearson suggested - if they are using directional antenna that will make it even harder to pick up as you would be way off their desired axis.

Caporegime
It's an incredibly challenging RF environment, hence the external antennas and the sheer quantity of access points. You've said nothing about what is in between you and the access point.

Associate
OP
It's an incredibly challenging RF environment, hence the external antennas and the sheer quantity of access points. You've said nothing about what is in between you and the access point.

Shrubs.
The portacabin lol, i would hardly call it metal, more like chocolate.
It must be to prevent staff having access to it me reckons - which i am.

Associate
OP
How are there underground shrubs?

theres a lot of thin 'shrubbery' between me and the platforms. the platforms are above me at an angle of about 45degs and 20m ish distance. i can hear passenger chatter on the platforms from where i am. Im not sure where the antenna is though, i will have to observe this next time.

Caporegime
Well then the reason you can't get Wi-Fi is a simple range issue. The power on the APs will be turned down to prevent interference from other units, and considering they often use 3 or 4 APs to cover an 80-100m platform why are you surprised that you can't pick a signal up through 20m of shrubs and a portakabin wall?

Soldato
Well then the reason you can't get Wi-Fi is a simple range issue. The power on the APs will be turned down to prevent interference from other units, and considering they often use 3 or 4 APs to cover an 80-100m platform why are you surprised that you can't pick a signal up through 20m of shrubs and a portakabin wall?

Because a conspiracy is easier to understand than the underlying technology.

Back
Top Bottom