How is your insurance this year?

Soldato
Time is coming up for me to renew my insurance. I paid £300 last year for Comprehensive cover with Hastings Direct, this year my best quote with comparethemarket is £273 again with Hastings Direct. Tried Aviva again and with returning customer bonus and 10% web discount they come at £311 and the policy is worse over all.

Anyone recommend other places to try?

And how is your insurance renewal, less or more money?

Last year was £500, this year, same company want £900 with nothing negative happening, and car value decreasing etc.

Quotes are variable - if I get them to start tomorrow, they are about £80 cheaper than if I get the insurance to start in 30 days time. On the whole, the damage is around £400.

I've noticed no difference with turning 30, or reaching 7yr NCB in the premiums.

Associate
I was with A&A until they put up my insurance by 51% due to moving house (to a nicer area where the car would be sat on a driveway) It was my first car (W reg Fiesta) and they put me up from £1007 to £1550. Once my year was up they sent me a letter thanking me for renewing with them (even though I hadn't agreed to anything) and quoted me £1300.

I called Elephant and they quoted me £559, I called A&A and told them I was leaving and they said "bye" and hung up on me.

I added another car this year and oh a multicar policy I am now paying about 600 for both cars.

Soldato
£331 for my Clio 172.

Was £570 something untill i asked to have my wife added to the policy then it plummeted.

I asked why and direct line said i get massive discounts for wife having her car with them, Our house with them, and other discounts which i cant think of that only applied when i added her.

I also had my 5 years NAMED DRIVER no claims changed to normal no claims as i racked them up with them in the first place :O

Oh and im 25

Soldato
Moved recently from an Admiral 'Multicar' policy to two separate policies for me and the wife...

My Car 2013 (13) Fabia Greenline II Estate - Average mileage per year 24,000, Personal and Commuting - 22 Years 'Protected' No Claims
Wife's Car 2009 (59) Fabia 1 Hatchback - Average mileage per year 12,000, Personal, Business and Commuting, Plus Carrying Oxygen Tanks (Red Cross) - 15 Years 'Protected' No Claims.

Admiral Insurance -
£82/month with a £220 Mandatory Excess :eek:

After looking around:

Tesco's Insurance -
£20/month with £0 Excess for me, :cool:
£16/month with £0 Excess for the Wife :cool:

Exactly the same coverage as Admiral, including Courtesy Car(s), a Hire Car for my Wife if a prolonged repair (She's a Nanny and needs her car daily!) plus Continental 'Greencard' coverage for 60 day's a year (any longer you need to pay extra)... Also a Sergei for me and Oleg for the Wife! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty good this year, just renewed my Smart (20k a year w/ business, Birmingham postcode, no accidents/points) - £380. Similar to last year tbh.

My 350Z is due in a few months but looking like shouldn't be much more (8k, social only, Birmingham postcode, few light mods - exhaust etc.) - looking like around the £450-500 bracket. Which for a 27 year old with what is regarded as a horrific postcode is pretty good. Given when I owned a Lexus IS in Birmingham when I was 21 it was costing me north of £2k!

Soldato
For the first time ever, my renewal came in at £130 less than the cheapest quote I got online.

Brokers like Sky Insurance want me to install a tracker and their quote was more than double my renewal :eek:

Just checked what my premium jumped to after I changed my car in June, and it was £540. My renewal quote is £107 cheaper even after I increased my annual mileage. Win :)

Associate
Elephant did what Admiral did to me the year prior, it went up by over 50%
I even gave them 2 attempts to match Aviva's quote and they were almost £250 more.

Soldato
OP
Hehe, I got no clue how these insurers work. I just put into comparethemarket that my 2001 Rover 25 is worth £3000 and my best quote is now £260.

Now it's worth £6000, wonder what my quote will be now...

Permabanned
£448 for a multicar policy on a 2012 Audi A6 and a 2014 Seat Ibiza for the wife (36) and I (44)...with European Cover, Breakdown and a few other add ons with Aviva. (9 years no claims mirrored).

That was cheaper than insuring both separately or staying with Hastings Direct who wanted to charge almost £300 for the Ibiza in addition to £340 for the Audi due to a change in the main driver..it was cheaper to pay the cancellation charge on the Hastings policy and go with Aviva. Admiral was slightly cheaper but the cover wasn't as good overall as Aviva will grant the second car with equal no claims if you stay with them for two years, so long term that is the best deal.

Soldato
Wish mine was as cheap as everyone else's :(
27 4yrs no claims went from paying £880 on my focus to £1100 on my St220 and my dad's has risen every year despite the fact he is 59 20 yrs no claims and retired his renewal come through at £550 :mad:

Retired people rarely pay less than when they were working. If you are in work you aren't driving so risk is considered lower.

Personally, after being with Tesco for a few years and having renewal quotes close enough to the competition to not make it worth switching they quoted about 30% more than last year and about 45% more than the best quote I got elsewhere. They won't budge on price on the phone so....buh bye.

Back
Top Bottom