*** Tado Mini Review ***

Associate
How you guys getting on with this system?

I am thinkng of renting it to give it a go... I seem to have problems heating my home at present and my Gas bills are through the roof... i think part comes down to how un controllable my system currently is..

I currently have a combi boiler with seperate water and heating controls on the front and a wireless thermostat in the living room.. the RF box next to the boiler is wired into the same powered line that the boiler runs from so am I right in thinking i just replace the RF box and those wires connect to the Tado box? then i just use the wireless temp sensor in the living room..

Also does the temp sensor actually show or have any display on it or is it all shown through the app?

I am thinking maybe its the wrong time to invest in this type of device based on the fact its getting warmer and in the summer i rarly have the heating on at all as my house gets full exposure to what sunshine we have and gets pretty warm on its own.

Soldato
It's working great for us and looking at the reports of the heat in the house you learn when you need to have the heating programmed for.

Tado has no external display so it's all app/web to see and set the temperature.

I would hold off now until nearer the winter, our heating is rarely on at the moment and it's only going to get warmer the nearer to summer we get (hopefully!!!)

Associate
Thanks Mate.

I am also thinking by time colder weather comes round these things will have advanced some what..

One thing that is bugging me about their rental options though... whats stopping anyone getting it and then cancelling and keeping the equipment and getting it for a lot less than the full price?

I understand from reading that if you cancel you get unused months refunded + you keep the equipment and the only thing that stops working is the Geo location based stuff?

or do you loose some major feature that I am not seeing.

Soldato
Weather is really turning now so mine is hardly kicking in. Did you see that they've launched a kickstarter for a cooling version. Love the display on the unit, obviously no real use in the UK but snazzy non the less - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tado/tado-cooling-intelligent-a-c-control

I hope that they move into wireless TRV's so that we can get room by room control next!

Associate
Really tempted to get one of these, though with the current weather there's not much point just yet! :cool::cool:

I've read on a few reviews that you can't currently set different temps for different times of day or different users. As somebody who works from home a lot, it feels a little counter-intuitive to always have the heating on when I am in. Or am I just being old fashioned?

:confused:

Associate
Just received mine today and set it up. Yes I know the heating isnt on at the mo but the temps will soon start dropping lol. Very well built and a doddle to install.

I went the rental option due to the summer sale they have on meaning a full year inc delivery was only about £40 with the 10% code (yup still works). I was going to buy it but for a rental of that price I thought I would give it a bash first. Also as they develop this box of tricks no doubt a bigger and better one will come out, so renting for me made the most sense.

We shall see how it goes over the good old winter.

Associate
I recieved my tado last week and installed it myself in around 30 mins. The guides online are very good, and the instructions have been made to be soo easy to perform. it's all up and running now. I took out the rental option to see how things go over winter, and if all goes well will buy in 6 mnths time.

Soldato
I ordered mine this week and I'm hoping it will show up tomorrow, but it's not likely.

I have to say; Tado support / customer service has been great. They really helped me work out if my boiler was compatible or not and actually emailed me directly when they figured out I was having trouble finding it on the list of compatible boilers. That contact opened up a conversation by email which was great - talking to humans in a human way over email instead of just a stream of stock answers!

Looking forward to getting it as the weather is starting to turn now.

Associate
On self installs do you just leave your programmer in, and set it to always be on for heating? Do you then still use programmer for hot water schedules cheers!

Soldato
On self installs do you just leave your programmer in, and set it to always be on for heating? Do you then still use programmer for hot water schedules cheers!

I would like to know this too.

I've studied my heating system and had a whale of issues with Nest because my programmer is dual-zoned so there is only one call to heat wire. If Tado just replaces the thermostats and you leave the programmer on constant then this would make more sense.

Tado told me I have to wait until their new model in September before my system will be compatible. They're honouring the £50 off though.

Soldato
These are available to rent for just £2.80 (minus 5%) a month before the end of August. Really tempted to get one!

Back
Top Bottom