Failing drive or laptop?

Associate
My mac has two SSDs in it - the system drive (OCZ vertex 2) is in the optical bay and the main bay has another SSD (Samsung 830) where I keep documents, music etc.

A couple days ago I lost access to the Samsung. OS X error said that I had read only access and the drive needs to be formatted. While I could see all my files none of them would open. Cloning the drive with carbon copy cloner failed.

I bought Data Rescue 3 and it informed me that read speeds were slow and the drive was about to fail. A DR3 clone would not mount and while I could recover some files my most important files could not be recovered.

I took the drive out, put it in an enclosure and it worked fine.

Question is - is there a problem with the drive or the SATA controller in the mac and how do I find out?

TL;DR Samsung 830 stopped working in mac after 1.5yrs but works from external. Is drive the problem or is it the mac?

Soldato
Had you recently opened the case and moved the sata connector that connects to the main bay. These cables are notoriously flimsy, I had to order a replacement even though I'm so careful when working on computers. It might not be this though and could be the sata controller.

Have you got another drive you could put in?

Associate
Had you recently opened the case and moved the sata connector that connects to the main bay. These cables are notoriously flimsy, I had to order a replacement even though I'm so careful when working on computers. It might not be this though and could be the sata controller.

Have you got another drive you could put in?

As he said, what model Mac is it?

Associate
OP
I haven't opened the case in over a year but I'll try a new cable. It's a late 2012 MacBook pro.

Any suggestions where to get the cable from?

Thanks fur the help!

Back
Top Bottom