*** The Official HTC One M8 Thread ***

Associate
The HTC One M8's camera is very good. It deals with low light photos well, it takes photos near instantly with no lag, it captures good detail, has sensible file sizes etc. The only thing that it doesn't do as well as the 13MP offerings is capture large landscape photos which is only really evident when put on a large screen. If you're planning on taking a photo of anything other than a large landscape, or it will be only viewed on phones/tablets/Facebook/it will be scaled down - the HTC One M8's camera is fantastic.

The camera is nowhere near "not great" and i'd suggest it's probably the camera operator that's "not great" rather than the camera itself.

I have no issues admitting I SUCK as a photographer. I really, really suck at it. The fact is though, I'm taking photos in the same situations as my S4 and it is nowhere close to comparable. There is noise, artifacts, and god help your retinas if you try and zoom in on a photo.

Either this camera needs to be used differently (what happened to point and shoot?) or it just sucks. Luckily I'm getting a reasonable dedicated camera soon but I'd be ****ed if I had to rely on this like I did my S4.

Besides, you can't tell me 4MP is as good as 13MP. I know MP is not even close to 'everything', but those NINE missing ones have got to make a difference. :confused:

Soldato
and god help your retinas if you try and zoom in on a photo.

Besides, you can't tell me 4MP is as good as 13MP. I know MP is not even close to 'everything', but those NINE missing ones have got to make a difference. :confused:

You said it yourself.

To be honest I've not had any problems with the camera. I've taken some fairly decent shots with it, but I'm not expecting amazing results from a phone. I've got a DSLR for that.

Associate
You said it yourself.

To be honest I've not had any problems with the camera. I've taken some fairly decent shots with it, but I'm not expecting amazing results from a phone. I've got a DSLR for that.

I'm not to be honest, but when my lazy eyes can see a difference it's gotta be a reasonable one. Might wipe it and swap it for an S5 tomorrow, they're all the same with Cyanogen on anyway.

Anyone know if you can return an online order to CPW high street store or does it need to be snail mail? :confused:

Associate
Has anyone ever had any trouble launching the camera app and just getting a black screen? I have my back/home/recents button, but otherwise it's just a black screen. It's so annoying as I can't figure out what exactly causes it. I just have to randomly kill the camera app till it shows up properly.

Associate
I'm using cyanogen, it's going well so far other than a few install issues.

Any tips for actually using the camera in low light? If i get close enough to actually get the item in focus, the flash washes out the whole image because of the larger sensors. If I turn flash off, obviously I can't see anything. The tiny MP count means I can't take it from far away and just zoom, either. Really hating the camera, the rest of the pone is excellent. It's making it hard to decide whether to bother keeping it or not.

Soldato
Hmmmm ... nice had a large system update come down the other day updating my M8 to 2.22.401.5. One of the things it did do was install HTC File Manager application which seems to handle reading/writing/deleting on the SD Card with no monkeying around which things like ES File Explorer wouldn't do (on the deleting/moving side at least)

Last edited:
Associate
Is it the done thing to ask whether anyone has any suggestions for where to find a UK supplier of a SIM free one? Not so keen on getting one from one of those companies that ships from outside the EU, giving rise to customs and import duties together with tenuous delays in the case of warranty issues!

Associate
Is it the done thing to ask whether anyone has any suggestions for where to find a UK supplier of a SIM free one? Not so keen on getting one from one of those companies that ships from outside the EU, giving rise to customs and import duties together with tenuous delays in the case of warranty issues!

Carphone Warehouse are good at supplying unlocked handsets, I'm not sure I've ever had a locked one from them even on a contract. My M8 from them is unlocked and it came on an Orange contract.

Associate

Handtec, I've bought a lot of SIM free phones from them

Associate
I just have to write this in here.

I've come from years of iPhone abuse, I tried a Galaxy S3 and a Galaxy S4 but always went back to iPhones (5S being the latest). Picked one of these up at the beginning of the week though as a last ditch android attempt and it really is a stunning device. Fast, fluid, well built and rather than the android skin becoming tiresome and hard work (aka touchwiz) sense is actually a joy to use and doesn't seem to add any lag or slowdowns (as far as I can tell).

Dropbox is taking care of the syncing to my OSX devices but I just need to get my head around the google sync serves as so it seems the same service is spread accross multiple apps, the most annoying of which if google+.

Not quite sure why I didn't get one of these devices sooner. :D

Last edited:
Associate
I just have to write this in here.

I've come from years of iPhone abuse, I tried a Galaxy S3 and a Galaxy S4 but always went back to iPhones (5S being the latest). Picked one of these up at the beginning of the week though as a last ditch android attempt and it really is a stunning device. Fast, fluid, well built and rather than the android skin becoming tiresome and hard work (aka touchwiz) sense is actually a joy to use and doesn't seem to add any lag or slowdowns (as far as I can tell).

Dropbox is taking care of the syncing to my OSX devices but I just need to get my head around the google sync serves as so it seems the same service is spread accross multiple apps, the most annoying of which if google+.

Not quite sure why I didn't get one of these devices sooner. :D

How is G+ annoying you? I don't use it so have never even opened the app. :p

Edit: Genuine question, it sounds sarcastic as hell, my bad!

Soldato
How hard is it to root this phone but keep it as stock? After the 4.4.3 update through Vodafone there is an app called RCS trying to install that Vodafone are pushing to their customers, although only on the M8 it seems, which takes over the stock messaging to make it more like how the iPhone handles messaging.

Plus, there are a few junk apps that cannot be uninstalled that I don't want or need.

Associate
How hard is it to root this phone but keep it as stock? After the 4.4.3 update through Vodafone there is an app called RCS trying to install that Vodafone are pushing to their customers, although only on the M8 it seems, which takes over the stock messaging to make it more like how the iPhone handles messaging.

Plus, there are a few junk apps that cannot be uninstalled that I don't want or need.

That's insane, I wouldn't have that either. They're literally gimping features of the device, can you not set another app as default?

Anyway, it's easy enough to root and stay stock. Look up CF-root if you don't know a load about android, you'll manage with ADB if you do. :)

Associate
I'm not a big social media type person, facebook, twitter and all that.. Its just figuring out what's what with it all really.. I kept getting hassled to create the G+ profile which i did in the end because I wanted to try to get google drive to sync photos that I take (so they are on my desktop). This seems to be handled by G+ and the photo's app and not google drive. I'm just trying to figure it all out but have disabled the G+ app (which has got rid of the photo app too) right now and just have dropbox...

I'll get my head around it eventually because I'd like to stick to google apps as much as possible but for now while i figure it our, dropbox will do.

The keyboards also really good and I have paid for both swype and swiftkey previously too.

How is G+ annoying you? I don't use it so have never even opened the app. :p

Edit: Genuine question, it sounds sarcastic as hell, my bad!

Associate
I'm not a big social media type person, facebook, twitter and all that.. Its just figuring out what's what with it all really.. I kept getting hassled to create the G+ profile which i did in the end because I wanted to try to get google drive to sync photos that I take (so they are on my desktop). This seems to be handled by G+ and the photo's app and not google drive. I'm just trying to figure it all out but have disabled the G+ app (which has got rid of the photo app too) right now and just have dropbox...

I'll get my head around it eventually because I'd like to stick to google apps as much as possible but for now while i figure it our, dropbox will do.

The keyboards also really good and I have paid for both swype and swiftkey previously too.

Can't help you there, I'm stuck in the Dark Ages when it comes to media management and social networking. I only joined FB this August, I should probably be less paranoid of the internet. 'They' already have all they need anyway! :eek::D

I'm sure that the G+ thing only hassles you when you first set it up, I've had multiple android phones and never heard a peep from it.

Soldato
The Google+ app uploads your photos to your Google+ Photos page (https://plus.google.com/photos). There isn't a way to auto-upload your photos to Google Drive without the use of a third party app like FolderSync.

What's annoying is you can't see your Google+ Photos in Google Drive, but you can see your Google Drive photos in Google+ Photos.

I just upload everything to Drive and don't bother with Google+ at all :p

Back
Top Bottom