[PIC_THREAD] Landscapes, Architecture, Seascapes

Associate
Crackerman, perfect timing - I'm heading down that way in two weeks and was after some suggestions for decent locations. So far we've come up with Croyde and Lee Bay - anywhere else you'd recommend within reasonable distance of Barnstable/Ilfracombe?

Soldato
I like the long road shot and the turbine shot has potential too but I assume these were taken around midday since the light seems rather bright/harsh.

A quick change in Lightroom which could help is a bit less highlight and a bit more contrast but ultimately, there's only so much you can do against midday sunlight! Polarised filter might have helped if you like landscapes a lot.

Associate
I like the long road shot and the turbine shot has potential too but I assume these were taken around midday since the light seems rather bright/harsh.

A quick change in Lightroom which could help is a bit less highlight and a bit more contrast but ultimately, there's only so much you can do against midday sunlight! Polarised filter might have helped if you like landscapes a lot.

Thanks for your pointers. Unfortunately the long road shot which is the one I like the most was shot in the middle of the day as I was just driving through on the way to somewhere else, I may visit it again one day when the lighting is better. The wind turbine shot was actually taken approaching sunset. I was a long way from Barnstaple and the turbines so would using quite a long focal length have this effect on the lighting?

Crackerman, perfect timing - I'm heading down that way in two weeks and was after some suggestions for decent locations. So far we've come up with Croyde and Lee Bay - anywhere else you'd recommend within reasonable distance of Barnstable/Ilfracombe?

You can make your way onto Exmoor, I would defiantly recommend Heddons mouth which has high cliffs and fantastic coastal and moorland views. At the moment the colour of the moorland around there is a brilliant shade of purple. Lynton and Lynmouth is also very scenic, and Combe Martin is a lovely village with some nice walks around there. Near Cryode there is also the Braunton Burrows with Crow point, which is a favored spot with photographers. Further down the coast there are some nice views to be had around the Hartland area. But there are so many places along the coast you really cant go wrong.

Soldato
Thanks for your pointers. Unfortunately the long road shot which is the one I like the most was shot in the middle of the day as I was just driving through on the way to somewhere else, I may visit it again one day when the lighting is better. The wind turbine shot was actually taken approaching sunset. I was a long way from Barnstaple and the turbines so would using quite a long focal length have this effect on the lighting?

Sometimes it's just atmospheric conditions that make it look more sunny than it is, like when you start to get a bit of haze/mist looking stuff at long distances. It's very hard to combat that :/ the only thing I've found is selecting those areas and boosting contrast there a bit but it's far from perfect.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the kind words. :p

It's called The Scallop, and it's on the beach at Aldeburgh. It's 12 feet tall, and dedicated to Benjamin Britten, who apparently used to walk the beaches there. The words on it are taken from one of his operas.

Apparently the locals want rid of it, but it's actually pretty cool. It does stand-out somewhat though, on otherwise totally unspoilt beaches.

I didn't even notice the seagull on the right, hence it's not there. A quick daub of the heal brush and that little boy will be gone. :p

Soldato
A couple of shots from my recent Wildlife trip to Skye....and yes....I saw **** all Wildlife :D

skye-1-2.jpg

skye-2.jpg

skye-4.jpg

Soldato
I know its just the clouds but the sun looks like a nuke going off in the distance !.....seriously nice pic tho, with some amazing colours in that sky

hah thanks :) no nukes in Canada! The colours always come out more in a HDR since the sky can be exposed much better. Sometimes it looks a bit over the top but I guess it definitely stands out :)

Associate
Back
Top Bottom