Switching to a Road bike

Associate
So I'm thinking of making the jump from my hybrid to a proper road bike, but to help spread the cost I'm thinking of buying in parts and building over time. Not too daunted by the idea of putting it together.

However...I know nothing of what are the good brands etc. Some US friends have suggest the likes of BMC but they are perhaps a little on the expensive side for me. I'm pretty made up that I want carbon though. Any stores you can recommend I go look at?

Soldato
Building a bike yourself is much more expensive than buying a full bike.

Either save the money you would use to buy parts until you have enough for a bike or buy it on a credit card and pay off over the same time.

Caporegime
Every now and then I look at the cost of building a bike and every time it looks more expensive than just buying one. I imagine one day I'll do it, but it'll be for the sake of doing it, not with any illusions of saving money.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got to agree that building a bike for financial reasons isn't going to help at all.

What is your current bike and what sort of budget do you have? I found some nice road bikes at several price points when I was looking to make the same jump from hybrid to road.

Associate
OP
I have a hyrbid at the moment. I wasn't expecting to save money, but as part of spreading cost out I could also get the bike I want rather than compromising on a pre-built. That said, I haven't looked too hard at pre-built so don't know what's out there. I also kinda like the idea of building it myself.

Soldato
Unlike with PCs, manufacturers are able to make and sell bikes for a lot less than it would cost to buy equivalent parts. And that's not even counting the tools you would have to buy. It's really only viable in three situations, i'd say. One, if you have the money to throw away and want to do it. Two, if you're at the higher end of things and could benefit from using more Chinese parts. And three, if you're rebuilding an older bike and already have spares/tools.

There are some pretty good deals on pre built road bikes, i would wait and save to give yourself time to figure out what you want.

Soldato
I wasn't expecting to save money, but as part of spreading cost out I could also get the bike I want rather than compromising on a pre-built.

If your doing it to get a bike exactly to the spec you want, go for it!
Just be aware that it'll cost 20-30% more than an equivalent pre-built bike.

Associate
OP
Sorry to the question of what I have, it's a carrera subway 2. Nothing special but does the job.

Ok so I hear that building isn't maybe the way to go then. So what sites/stores would you recommend looking round? Good brands or ones to avoid would be good to know.

Soldato
Actually... it sounds like you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty and get stuck into a project so you might do well to go second hand. Pick up something that has a decent frame and go from there.

If you don't mind going with mid level components you may be able to pick up some barely used bargains. I was reading just the other day on a forum with a guy stating that the Sora groupset on his bike lasted 3 days before he upgraded to Ultegra. Those Sora components would make a damn good buy for someone! Claris would be even cheaper.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've built countless bikes and buy second hand high end bits off ebay or discounted new bits, enables me to build up a very high end bike at reasonable cost.

My advice would be to to research the chinese gear and checkout aliexpress. You can get decent carbon stems, seats, handlebars, seatposts, wheels, cages etc for next to nothing. Also frames and the goods ones are very good, and are exactly what you will get with a planetx or a ribble bike.

Latest bike I built: http://imgur.com/a/pUDTB full sram red and whatnot and way lighter than any bike you can buy off the peg. Cost me about £1500 but you can aim for lower spec and build a decent low weight bike for much less.

Basically drive train bits I get second hand on ebay, everything else is carbon I buy from aliexpress (some of it ebay).

Last edited:
Associate
Wait till November time.

Buy an End Of Line 2014 bike when the 2015 colours come out.

You will get the end of line price with a winter discount on. You can get some very very good bikes around that time for £400 or so, far better than you could build for a similar price.

Soldato
Although not strictly 'spreading the cost', this is what I've done/doing.

Like you I have a Carrera Subway and wanted to switch to a road bike. I was happy with the Carrera and Halfrauds was the only way I'd get a road bike for within my really low budget... I hadn't got more than £350/400 to throw at it!

So after reading some reviews I picked up the Carrera Virtuoso, if you read around you'll soon come across a guy who's done 4000+ miles on the bike and the list of things he's replaced. But basically you'll probably change everything except the frame on this bike (in the long term/high miles) with tyres and possibly wheels in the short term.

Not strictly 'spreading the cost' but a cheap road bike to start on! Picked up mine for less than £300 ;)

Caporegime
Although not strictly 'spreading the cost', this is what I've done/doing.

Like you I have a Carrera Subway and wanted to switch to a road bike. I was happy with the Carrera and Halfrauds was the only way I'd get a road bike for within my really low budget... I hadn't got more than £350/400 to throw at it!

So after reading some reviews I picked up the Carrera Virtuoso, if you read around you'll soon come across a guy who's done 4000+ miles on the bike and the list of things he's replaced. But basically you'll probably change everything except the frame on this bike (in the long term/high miles) with tyres and possibly wheels in the short term.

Not strictly 'spreading the cost' but a cheap road bike to start on! Picked up mine for less than £300 ;)

I've got a Carrera TDF, and the only stock parts left on it are...

• Frame
  • Stem
  • Handlebars
  • Brakes
  • Seatpost and clamp
  • Mech hangers

Everything else has been replaced - saddle, shifters, the entire drivetrain, wheels, you name it.

Associate
I've got a Carrera TDF, and the only stock parts left on it are...

• Frame
  • Stem
  • Handlebars
  • Brakes
  • Seatpost and clamp
  • Mech hangers

Everything else has been replaced - saddle, shifters, the entire drivetrain, wheels, you name it.

That is not too bad.

Most bikes will require you to change the saddle unless you are lucky with your arse shape. Derailleurs shouldn't really need to be changed though can wear out. Chain, chainrings and rear cassette are consumables and will wear out, as are wheels.

How long was you riding it that they needed to be changed?

Back
Top Bottom