*** The Official Microsoft Surface Thread ***

Soldato
I received my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 yesterday, and while it is truly a superb device, I am very disappointed with the battery life. Simply browsing the web, with brightness set to 50%, I am only getting roughly 4 hours of usage. :(

How are other people finding the battery on the Surface Pro 3? Also, if it's not too much trouble to ask, is there any chance you could post your battery stats by typing the following command into a command prompt:

Code:
powercfg /batteryreport

The report will be saved to your user profile folder.

That would be most appreciated. Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the i5 will be harder to get hold of than the i7 version as its the lowest spec one with 8Gb so IMHO will be the best seller.

I've not really had any batterylife issues with mine so far, I am still cycling it from 100>0 and then charging it fully.

Has anyone else had a play with the Intel XTU?
I've got mine set to the below so far, certainly doesnt get as warm or spin the fan sup as much.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/adfg4cv3rz8xxgz/Capture.JPG?dl=0

I had one over heat yesterday where the unit flashed the overheat screen for a second then powered off, it did however power straight back up again, I had used XTU to run CPU/Mem/GPU tests back to back for 5 minutes each and it failed on the GPU test with about 2 minutes to go so had been flat out for over 12 minutes before it failed.

On the accesory side, I ordered mine with the keyboard, spare PSU and a dock, just waiting for the dock to arrive.
I also got one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snugg-Micro...409440519&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=snugg+pro+3
Because I like the Pro 2 version...

Anyone had a non-glare screen protector yet?

Soldato
Dunno yet, not had to change them...

My dock has just arrived so going to get that plugged in shortly.

However, just had a random reset, was typing an email and it just rebooted into recovery...

Soldato
I received my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 yesterday, and while it is truly a superb device, I am very disappointed with the battery life. Simply browsing the web, with brightness set to 50%, I am only getting roughly 4 hours of usage. :(

How are other people finding the battery on the Surface Pro 3? Also, if it's not too much trouble to ask, is there any chance you could post your battery stats by typing the following command into a command prompt:

Code:
powercfg /batteryreport

The report will be saved to your user profile folder.

That would be most appreciated. Thank you. :)

Probably not much help but here is a Pro2 report.

Link

Permabanned
Was really excited and saving money up for a 8gb i5/i7 one of these but after hearing about the throttling issue I'm kind of put off =/

I assume theres still no word from Microsoft about what they're doing about it?

I just wanted to play Dota2, Hearthstone and maybe WoW on it. Nothing too intense.

Soldato
Its just the i7 that has throttling issues, there is an update coming early this month, think I read the 6th somewhere that is aimed at that.
The only things that I have issues with are the pen not clipping to the device, battery life, fan noise and when you press on the screen hard you get lcd press swirls as per any other screen you push, not something I want on this kinda priced device...

Permabanned
Will have to pop back in here after the update comes and see if anyone can test Dota 2 for me.

Need that to be atleast playable for it to be worth buying.

Permabanned
I'd assume that D3 is more demanding. I heard throttling was bad on all models.

What res and settings generally do you have to run to get 60fps?

Man of Honour
Depends what apps you want
Bing news
Bing weather
The built In email app
Package tracker if you do a lot of internet shopping
Netflix
Audible
Metro tube
One note
Bing maps preview - new maps with 3d cities and other nifty things.

Soldato
I'm looking at Microsoft services again as I want to give MS a second chance.

Just installed Windows 8.1 again on my PC (ex Mavericks) and I have just been given a work Nokia phone. The surface pro 3 also looks pretty good.

I know Microsoft want this whole ecosystems tied in together. Can someone answer me a question about messaging though.

Currently I can send messages via my mac / iphone and ipad. How does this work in the Microsoft world? (ie, how can i send a text from the nokia, and then carry on from my PC)

Thanks!!

Soldato
Thats one thing that I wouldnt mind a proper answer for as well, a cross platform (MS, so RT/WP/Win81) app that does it would be awesome, perhaps tie it in with OneDrive somehow so it syncs chat history and allows you to send messages out via the phone from the Surface would be sweet, pretty sure Nokia have had something similar before on the old Nokia Suite so its not exactly a new idea..

Soldato
Thats one thing that I wouldnt mind a proper answer for as well, a cross platform (MS, so RT/WP/Win81) app that does it would be awesome, perhaps tie it in with OneDrive somehow so it syncs chat history and allows you to send messages out via the phone from the Surface would be sweet, pretty sure Nokia have had something similar before on the old Nokia Suite so its not exactly a new idea..

The only reason I asked is that I can't find a messaging app on windows 8....and I'm sure I used to have one :confused:

Back
Top Bottom