TV marketing ploys - it's only nine nine nine!

Soldato
It's a physiological thing, by not saying the word pound it's supposed to make us more likely to spend our money.
I read an article about it the other week, it also explained why restaurant menus are set out the way they are and a lot of them are starting to leave out the pound sign.

Associate
I don't like that the suffix has been dropped from film release dates. They always say things like "OUT ON SEPTEMBER ONE!!" instead of "OUT ON SEPTEMBER FIRST".

I'm old. It sounds stupid.

And it's not 'September 1st'! It's the 1st of September!

Soldato
They say nine nine nine because nine hundred and ninety nine pounds sterling sounds a lot more expensive. Marketing trick. Same reason they don't say £1000. Isn't this fairly obvious?

Man of Honour
I think taking a cue from photoshop threads is the best way - creatively misinterpret it.

If something is "nine nine nine", then it costs £27. "Obviously", 9+9+9 = 27.

In reality, it's an attempt to use psychological manipulation to mislead the target in order to extract money from them, i.e. selling.

Soldato
It's originated in America, it's also why you don't see things for sale for £700 or £800 but rather £699 and £799.

Your brain only sees the first part of the price, so you are more likely to buy the 699 over the 700 because you sub consciously think the 699 is substantially cheaper than the 700.

It's also why a lot of companies list extortionate prices as list prices but let you negotiate substantial "discounts" so you convince yourself you are getting a great deal.

When in fact, you are paying exactly what they wanted you to pay.

Soldato
Mentioning pounds makes things sound more expensive. If you leave the currency out more people will buy it.

You'll see it a lot in restaurant menus. They will quite often not list anything other than 20.00, or even just 20 for a price for an item as doing so makes more people buy it.

Although restaurants use a load of dirty tricks like that on menus. Put a really expensive item at the top so everything else looks reasonable by comparison, centre align the menu so prices don't line up so it's hard to compare the price of everything, all tricks to make you spend more money.

Associate
It's originated in America, it's also why you don't see things for sale for £700 or £800 but rather £699 and £799.

Your brain only sees the first part of the price, so you are more likely to buy the 699 over the 700 because you sub consciously think the 699 is substantially cheaper than the 700.

It's also why a lot of companies list extortionate prices as list prices but let you negotiate substantial "discounts" so you convince yourself you are getting a great deal.

When in fact, you are paying exactly what they wanted you to pay.

I can't speak for anyone elses brain but when I see 699, it gets rounded to 700 :cool:.

Soldato
I can't speak for anyone elses brain but when I see 699, it gets rounded to 700 :cool:.

Yes you may well do but as said, you are not American.

It started off in the American car trade, along with the high list price big discount tactic, rebates "dealer contributions" etc.
FedEx DHL and UPS do the same things on the invoices, huge "standard" charges then massive discounts to make you feel like a really important customer.
Believe me, there are people out there who fall for that one hook line and sinker.

Back
Top Bottom