Quick question replacing eurocylinders

Soldato
I'm replacing my non snap resistant double cylinders with abs mk3s and I have a question about the length.

On my patio door the old locks I have are 40mm internal and 45mm external but they look way too long to me. On the external side there is an extra 15mm and internal 10mm.

Would I have any issues getting 30 internal 35 external instead?

The other lock is perfect with 5mm extra each side.

Soldato
You don't want any of the cylinder sticking out on the external side.

My patio door cylinder size is 30/30 with nothing sticking out but I hear the 30/30mm ABS lock is not as secure as the longer ones.

My old Yale cylinder was sticking out on both sides but I guess lock snapping was unheard of back in the 90s when these doors were fitted.

Soldato
OP
ok so to get it flush on the external side would mean I should go for 30/30 for the patio and 40/40 for the other door I have

They are identical locks which I wouldn't be surprised have been in there since it was built in the 90s.

Soldato
Yes should go for 30mm. I went for 35mm as my doors are actually a little bit wider than 30mm but too short for 35mm so mine do stick out a little bit but as it's an ABS lock I still doubt anyone can get in. My old Yale cylinder stuck out way more though.

Man of Honour
You'll be lucky to have them fit flush externally. Up to 5mm is fine. I replaced all of ours (three doors, four locks, same key throughout, two doors with internal thumbturn) with ABS from Mighton. They appear to have stopped supplying locks as the only ones I can find are on their end of line page. Some great prices there - if your size(s) are available.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I bottled it and went 35 because it looked like it would have been a mm or two short with 30.

I've just found my garage has a half euro cylinder which I can replace with a key alike lock. 3 keys down to 1 :)

Shame I can't do that with the timber front door :(

Wish I'd seen your link earlier, would have saved myself £15 on one of the locks.

Soldato
Just had one of my old wooden doors replaced today for uPVC. The installers used this cheap euro cylinder worth £6!

They rave on about high security doors with multipoint locking systems and all that buzz, then they go and fit the cheapest cylinder they could find. :(

Off to to order another ABS lock me thinks.

Soldato
I wouldn't mind ordering another ABS cheap from Mighton's end of line range (I bought my last ones from them when they were full price) but it won't be keyed-alike nor can you choose a different colour key. Would play havoc having to try different keys to unlock the door.

Man of Honour
Just had one of my old wooden doors replaced today for uPVC. The installers used this cheap euro cylinder worth £6!

They rave on about high security doors with multipoint locking systems and all that buzz, then they go and fit the cheapest cylinder they could find. :(

Off to to order another ABS lock me thinks.

To be fair on them, almost no actual burglars try to pick or force locks. They either kick in a door panel, smash a window, or (most common because it's toughened glass) break the patio door pane(s).

Soldato
Go for a 30/30

You don't want any overhang, euro cylinders are bloody easy to snap if you've got an overhang. I've had to do it before after locking my keys out of a house and didn't really realise how easy it would be.

I prefer the coded key ones which can't be cut by anyone except the manufacturer.

Associate
ok so to get it flush on the external side would mean I should go for 30/30 for the patio and 40/40 for the other door I have

They are identical locks which I wouldn't be surprised have been in there since it was built in the 90s.

Defiantly as flush as you can on the outside, with it sticking out makes it easy for scum to break in. You can get cylinders that are designed to snap before the weak point leaving some of the lock intact.

Associate
if you get anti snap locks like the avocet abs, then doesn't matter if protruding a little as even if snapped then they are secure.

Soldato
I'm having trouble removing my Euro cylinders from the second hand Conservatory I'm currently rebuilding. I've taken both handle plates off and removed the screw securing the bottom of the barrel to the frame, there is vertical and horizontal movement (it rattles about) but still the buggers wont pull free! any advice chaps? Oh and I dont have the keys :( Door is unlocked though if that makes it any easier??

Last edited:
Associate
You need the keys to get them out - there is a lug in the middle of the lock that rotates with cylinder, you have to rotate it with the key so you can pull it out.

Soldato
I'm having trouble removing my Euro cylinders from the second hand Conservatory I'm currently rebuilding. I've taken both handle plates off and removed the screw securing the bottom of the barrel to the frame, there is vertical and horizontal movement (it rattles about) but still the buggers wont pull free! any advice chaps? Oh and I dont have the keys :( Door is unlocked though if that makes it any easier??

Just snap the lock that's why your changing them:p

Back
Top Bottom