ideas? workhorse car for business use

Soldato
Nor are any of the other cars going to do much better than 30mpg either then...

I used to the ST for business use back when I worked for the NHS and got 45p per mile, I just about broke even on fuel costs. But I never considered getting a second car for that kind of mileage. False economy

In that case you need to talk some sense into the woman! Sell MX-5 and upgrade if necessary to something that meets both needs of work and pleasure.

You surely did more than break even on 45p/mile?

45p/mile on petrol would be about 12mpg

Soldato
It might be boring but I would suggest that a focus fits the bill perfectly. £5k will get you a nice example, it's easy to drive and practical with lots of space for her kit.

Just don't ruin another car with a silly rear wing!

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
What makes the cube a good choice?

a top spec cube is 5k and the Kaizen model has a huge list of things that pretty much no other car for that price point has.

they are fairly economical, look cool and are unique.
plus both the cubes posted above look mental. not that she would be doing that sort of thing with hers.

you never know though. she might want a big spoiler on it, and I am fantastic at picking spoilers that nobody likes.

Caporegime
Think i'd rather pick a good all round car, i.e. Fiesta.

The cube might have a bigger spec, which is a plus, however the interior belongs to a 90's Daewoo, and whilst looks are subjective, i'd wager that most people in the UK think the Cube is ugly, so will be a very hard car to sell in the future.

Associate
Getting a second car is a waste of money. The 10mpg or so saving she'll get over the Mx-5 over 15k miles equates to about £1000 and from that she'll have to pay additional VED, insurance, maintenance & depreciation as well as the opportunity cost lost from the money paid for the car.
It's worth mentioning that a MX-5 with 30k miles will sell for far more than a MX-5 with 80k miles. The mileages stated were just an example.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
had a fair old conversation about it. She is going to run the MX5 until 2015 and then reassess the costs.

thanks for your input though guys :)

Associate
I was about to add a real left field option of the Clio Estate they did - Small ish, but lots of room for luggin camera gear about etc, little dci is great on fuel, very easy to drive and 2nd hand privalidge spec with all the toys 'should' be in budget

but waititng till 2015 would mean clubman etc are in price range then aswell - or a chelsa tractor RRS etc

Back
Top Bottom