Enlighten me : The Lotus Exige

Soldato
It's a mid engined, RWD, lightweight weapon with barely any internal luxuries.

What information are you looking to find out about them? They're awesome cars but probably not a daily driver if you're covering a decent distance.

*edit* - Wikipedia has pretty much everything you need to know about stats etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Exige

Soldato
Which version? The Exige name has evolved a fair bit during it's time.

The original Exige was basically a hardcore S1 Elise with a fixed roof and some Aero add-ons all based on the "Motorsport Elise" race car. The S2 version followed in a similar vein although it softened a little, however the Elise/Exige ranges have diverged somewhat now. The Elise name is used on the 4 cylinder cars whereas the Exige name is used on the 6 cylinder ones (Using the Toyota 2GR-FE as used in the Evora).

The current Exige's are basically an Elise at the front with an Evora subframe at the back to accommodate the larger engine and subsequently a restyled rear end. They're also now available with a plusher interior and a soft top.

Soldato
The Top Gear episode probably tells you all you need to know.
I saw that segment on YouTube the other day, coincidentally.

Always liked Elans and Elises.

Associate
yep, also the s1 engine/chassis combination is the lightest, the ultimate OEM model being the 340r.

Mine s1 elise with exige bodywork is 710kg, without my bigger than standard wheels, an N/A engine and no aero it would be about 620kg which is catching up to kit car 7 weights

Associate
Got taken out in one at Silverstone with a racing driver at the helm (one of those pay x amount for a passenger ride deals). It was an amazing car. Either had the choice of an exige or a GTR, which set off after us. The GTR never overtook us, which says a lot about the performance on offer! I wish I could be in your shoes and seriously considering one as my own car :)

Associate
My dad has an exige. 2006 with the touring pack and an exhaust pack (I think). It has an MP3 CD player/radio but it has not once been used as it's so loud. Build quality is um iffy, it does get moisture inside and you have to be careful when washing it as it gets in around the windows! Also from what I can remember, bills are a bit $$$. We had a mouse nibble through some rubber gaiters or something in each corner which will fail the MOT apparently and it was over £1k to fix (not sure on the specifics though)

Now on to the good bits!! Performance/noise is just awesome, especially when the variable valve timing kicks in! Practicality wise it's obviously not what you buy it for, but you can get some lugs fitted (which my dad has done) so that you can fit a soft roof, which fits in the boot with a weekends worth of clothes. Plus it does 40mpg as it is so light! Just wish I could be insured to drive it!

Just realised that you are looking for supercharged versions, which ours isn't but it is still fantastic

Soldato
If your interest develops into ownership, i'd recommend taking some driving training courses - 'Walshy Days' are the coined term for a highly skilled driver, 'Walshy' to take you to your limit, and then show you the actual limit of the car and how to handle tricky situations which can happen in the Lotus.

Exige is known for being very unforgiving especially in damp/moist/wet/snow/diesel conditions as it had A048 tyres which are semi-slick.

Elises/Europas/Evoras have normal tyres on, which are a lot more grippier in the damper conditions than the Exige.

Back
Top Bottom