*** The Official HTC One M8 Thread ***

Associate
In for a penny, in for a pound. Just used the Sunshine app to s-off. Now to install adaway.

Thanks for your pointers so far guys.. This has turned out to be quite a bit different to rooting a GS3 a few years ago.

EDIT: I'm guessing you can delete the sunshine app without any worries once its done its stuff?

Last edited:
Soldato
In for a penny, in for a pound. Just used the Sunshine app to s-off. Now to install adaway.

Thanks for your pointers so far guys.. This has turned out to be quite a bit different to rooting a GS3 a few years ago.

EDIT: I'm guessing you can delete the sunshine app without any worries once its done its stuff?

Yeah totally different from the S3. Took me a while to get the S-off done.

Associate

It leaves an app? I guess you can remove it since I forgot it even exists. :p

I had loads of trouble rooting my S2/S3/S4 so I thought I'd give a manufacturer a try that supports (kind of) modders. It's done me well so far, although gravity box and the Cyanogen rom itself seem to be fighting over my statusbar settings. :confused:

Soldato
That's insane, I wouldn't have that either. They're literally gimping features of the device, can you not set another app as default?

Anyway, it's easy enough to root and stay stock. Look up CF-root if you don't know a load about android, you'll manage with ADB if you do. :)

It comes pre-installed with the latest Android version and every so often asks if you want to upgrade, with no way of cancelling it or uninstalling it. I still use the standard messaging app, so there is that at least.

I know a bit about rooting, started rotting with a HTC Desire when they first came out, then the Galaxy Nexus, I just always get slightly worried before rooting in case something goes wrong.

Associate
It comes pre-installed with the latest Android version and every so often asks if you want to upgrade, with no way of cancelling it or uninstalling it. I still use the standard messaging app, so there is that at least.

I know a bit about rooting, started rotting with a HTC Desire when they first came out, then the Galaxy Nexus, I just always get slightly worried before rooting in case something goes wrong.

Yeah there's always that feeling of 'if I brick this...'. :eek:

I started with a LG Optimus GT540 and it was horrible. Then came the desire, then the GS2/3/4 and now I'm on this phone. :D

Associate
I had a couple of brown trouser moments recently. All ok in the end though. And then I decided to unroot just to see if I can lol.. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2735235)

Now my question is, I left s-off, so I just adb unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery then re root the rom?

EDIT: Also, whats the deal with charging on this thing? it seems to take 2+ hours to charge, and thats not from empty either. Am trying my 2A ipad charger now but it seems barely any quicker at first glance.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a couple of brown trouser moments recently. All ok in the end though. And then I decided to unroot just to see if I can lol.. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2735235)

Now my question is, I left s-off, so I just adb unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery then re root the rom?

EDIT: Also, whats the deal with charging on this thing? it seems to take 2+ hours to charge, and thats not from empty either. Am trying my 2A ipad charger now but it seems barely any quicker at first glance.

I've not unrooted yet, I tend to leave well alone once I've got it how I like it.

I read somewhere that the M8 does support fast charging but the charger HTC give you with the phone is not. Also read that they were going to release one separately later in the year, not looked into whether that's happened yet or not though.

Associate
I've just noticed I don't seem to be getting any HSPA+ on my M8, O2 network. I have a Moto G for work and that seems to pick it up no problem. I did find out that the M8 might not have a H+ symbol in the status bar but even when I check the "about > network > mobile network type: " it just says HSPA compared to the Moto G's HSPA+.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this?

TIA

Associate
Having a look at this phone instead of the iPhone 6 ( absolute rip off in my eyes) Opinions people?

Really like the look/style of the thing, and love the customization you have with Android phones compared to iPhones.

Currently got a iPhone 4, and while it's been fantastic for me, getting a bit bored of it and want a nice new phone so give me some opinions! Ta :)

Associate
I tried a few androids for short periods but kept going back to iPhone. I thought I'd have a final fling with Android and the m8 and I've not looked back. Sense is really fantastic and in my opinion improves on Android. But if I did want to try a stock experience, I have the choice. Ios is a really good operating system but with androids there is just so much choice. Saying that, I wouldn't talk my mum into getting one, I'm happy her staying on iOS.

As far as the m8 in particular, amazing build quality, camera is great for my non pro needs and the software is damn good and can be tweaked to your very own personal taste quite easily.

Soldato
This guys website and supporting youtube vids I found very useful, M8 is the first phone I've rooted.

http://sakitechonline.com/

Question though, im currently rooted on stock sense ROM, I've got an android update from my provider, 3 - am I correct in thinking applying this update will unroot my phone?

If I re-root it after the update is there anyway to keep all my settings and apps without having to reinstall and set everything back up again?

Last edited:
Associate
How is the camera speed on this? I've a HTC One and especially low-light it can take a good few seconds to take a picture which isn't great. Found out I can upgrade my work phone so it's a choice between this and the S5.

Associate
I find the camera quite good, but I'm not a massive user of it. Photo's on my computer aren't quite as detailed as they could be, but for my needs are fine. I'm not 100% sure but i think low light does take a short while to acclimatise so if thats important to you maybe the S5 would be better? Saying that, I love the M8. Tried a few Samsungs and always went back to iPhone before I got this.

Back
Top Bottom