Does alcohol bring out the 'real' you?

Caporegime
Yes it does, but only because of various mental issues I have, such as severe anxiety and such. I can only get past those issues with medication or alcohol... I have done so many things and spoken to so many people after drinking. I have made new friends, asked people things I've never had the confidence to ask, had fantastic fun, and so on.

I don't like drinking, I dispise alcohol, and I am against drinking alcohol for the sake of it, to "improve" a party, or whatever... Drinking certainly isn't a solution to this issue, I don't drink excessively, I have never craved alcohol, and I am looking into a *proper* solution currently. :p

If nothing else, this is a fantastic opportunity to find out what alcohol I do and don't like. :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have a friend who is a hugger when he's drunk. Not lovely dovey hugs though. Bear hugs. You'll be standing in the pub and he'll just march up behind you, grab you, lift you and squeeze. He's like Donk from Crocodile Dundee.

Caporegime
The reason people talk of it bringing out 'the real you' is simply because alcohol suppresses your inhibitions....

So when your colleague calls the CFO a **** at the company Christmas party he might well be airing his true feelings rather than suppressing them as he would when sober... Ditto to the 40 year old manager who's acting particularly inappropriately with the new receptionist.

Whether people deem that to be 'the real you' is another matter... but the fact is alcohol does lower your inhibitions regardless.

Soldato
I don't think it brings the real you out, I think it just exaggerates/exacerbates certain "qualities". For example, it can make you more violent and also lose your inhibitions.

That said, alcohol does often lead to awesomeness and amazing things happening :p

Soldato
I've never become violent when drunk, usually just very merry bordering on camp and suddenly think I'm Johnny Big Bucks getting the plastic out and regretting it considerably the next morning.

I tend to get a taxi back from Manchester to my house, maybe about 8/9 miles. I always find myself in the McDonalds car park with a taxi driver after buying him a huge meal. :(

Back
Top Bottom