value of comic books from 1980s anyone

Associate
Hello I ve recently had a nice loft find of a stack of comics, these include Transformer, conan, star wars, thundercats ghost rider all 1980s. from around 82 till later 90s. All seem in good condition. As far as I can tell most are great condition. I have no interest in keeping hold of these, obvoiusly would like to get the best price I can for them? Anyone know if these would be worth anything, or are they best chucked onto a online auction site

Soldato
Comics pre ~1965 are worthless, with very few exceptions (limited editions, certain issues where a popular character makes their first appearance etc).

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry if I'm being thick, but these two options seem incongruous. If they're worth anything then surely they're best "chucked onto an online auction site"?
Well no, obviously not... If they're worth more than a few quid then he'd be best going to a dealer of some sort.

Associate
OP
Well no, obviously not... If they're worth more than a few quid then he'd be best going to a dealer of some sort.

Exacty! dont want to put them online and have my pants pulled down over the price. As I have no knowledge what so ever on valuing comics. Although as prevoiusly stated if 80's and onwards arent worth that much, selling through the auction site will probably be best.....

I`ll thinking maybe clump some together and sell them as bundles... half a dozen at a time...

GAC

GAC

Soldato
if you have a local comic book store bob down with a list of what you have. they will probably give you a rough idea on value and may even buy some off you. but you do run the risk of them under valuing the stuff.

otherwise slap em up on the bay or e and see what you can get.

Soldato

Assuming the comics were worth say £500, and that i was a comic book dealer.

Why would i pay you the full price? I wouldn't, in fact, when you asked me the value i would tell you £400, then offer you £350

If you were to list it on an auction site than you can have it sell for what it is worth give or take, minus the fee.

Caporegime

Why would i pay you the full price? I wouldn't, in fact, when you asked me the value i would tell you £400, then offer you £350

If you were to list it on an auction site than you can have it sell for what it is worth give or take, minus the fee.

Pah... If you were really good you'd say they were worth £5...

Soldato
Hello I ve recently had a nice loft find of a stack of comics, these include Transformer, conan, star wars, thundercats ghost rider all 1980s. from around 82 till later 90s. All seem in good condition. As far as I can tell most are great condition. I have no interest in keeping hold of these, obvoiusly would like to get the best price I can for them? Anyone know if these would be worth anything, or are they best chucked onto a online auction site

Not sure about Ghost Rider but I reckon they'd all be worth at least a couple of notes each. Do a Google for year and issue number to get an idea of what they're worth.

Soldato

Well I imagine you'd get them valued by more than once source, whom you can then play against each other.

Either way, you'd probably still get substantially more than if you just bunged it on ebay.

Soldato
Comics pre ~1965 are worthless, with very few exceptions (limited editions, certain issues where a popular character makes their first appearance etc).

Which means there are an awful lot of valuable comics post 1965. I collected American comics for a few years when I was at college and got myself quite a collection - purchased to read, not to actually collect.
I've got some quite valuable ones - whole Knightfall/Knightquest arc, all first printings.
The whole "Death of Superman" series, including all of the cross-overs - also including the 4 issues that apperred before the storyline that showed a single set of 3 pictures of Doomsday's hand as he broke free. I still have a sealed "Death of Superman" black-bag. Then the "Reign of the Supermen" arc..
Vengance of Bane one-shot, Sword of Azrael 4 part (the guy who becomes Batman once Bruce has his back broken).

As far as I know the money is in the US comics and not the UK ones. But, "number 1's" and the like should always be worth something to someone.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Really hard to say yay or nay tbh mate, likely you might have something of value there.
Ptroblerm with comics is e.g:

say #9 is worth nowt but #10 has the first appearance of x character the price could jump silly amounts depending who it is.

A site I used to user but have been out of comics for a long time shows the mid 90s conans at around £1-2 an issue, the 70s stuff is far more expensive. Ghost riders from 90s about 1.50 an issue

If you cba to go about noting down every issue/number and pricing them up individually them yeah you'll likely get more money, IF you sell evey last one, which you might struggle with.

Best option would be seeing if theres a comic dealer local or just whackm em on ebay as a job lot.

Caporegime

Ebay fees are around 14% lol.

Back
Top Bottom