CoolerMaster HAF-X top fan replacements

Associate
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend replacement fans for the top of the CoolerMaster HAF-X case? I asked CM on Twitter and they pointed me at their website, but they've been out of stock for over 6 weeks.

I'm not fussed about LED, I just want them to do their job well. I'm aware that not all 200x30mm fans will fit in the top of the case, so wanted to check with people who've actually got some!

Soldato
How long have you had the case? If it's still within 2 year warranty go on their website and say you have a faulty fan, mine went funny and they sent me a new one within a week. :)

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. Nelly - it's about 3 years old so it's out of warranty. The fan that came with the case started catching on the top of the case. I couldn't bend the offending fan blade back into place so I just snapped it off. Problem temporarily solved.

I'll pick up some of those bitfenix fans.

I use SpeedFan to control my GPU fan - do I need a fan controller? What are the benefits? I'm sure I looked into getting one in the past but something stopped me... Maybe motherboard didn't support it or something?

Associate
Thanks guys. Nelly - it's about 3 years old so it's out of warranty. The fan that came with the case started catching on the top of the case. I couldn't bend the offending fan blade back into place so I just snapped it off. Problem temporarily solved.

I'll pick up some of those bitfenix fans.

I use SpeedFan to control my GPU fan - do I need a fan controller? What are the benefits? I'm sure I looked into getting one in the past but something stopped me... Maybe motherboard didn't support it or something?

You don't NEED one Selachi I just liked the idea of having a display on my pc showing temps and fans speeds and then being able to control the fans via the screen so I installed one... you can control your fans from the motherboard if you have enough fan headers

Also Cooler Master do replacement fans they run at a max speed of 700 rpm

http://eu.coolermaster.com/uk/product/Detail/cooling/megaflow/megaflow-200-red-led-silent-fan.html

Overclockers do sell them but they are out of stock atm

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produ...&catid=2331&sortby=nameAsc&subid=2335&mfrid=8

Cooler master

Speed (R.P.M.) 700 RPM
Air Flow (CFM) 110 CFM
Air pressure (mmH2O) 0.595 mm H2O
Noise 19 dBA

Bitfenix

- Current (A): 0.33A ±10% Speed (RPM): 900 RPM ±10%
- Air Flow (CFM): 148.72 CFM ±10%
- Air Pressure (mmH2O): 1.26 mmH2O
- Noise (dB-A): 27.5 dB(A)

Note that the Bitfenix will spin up to 900 rpm and the cooler master will spin upto 700 rpm so the Bitfenix looks louder but that's because you can make it spin faster.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you - I've ordered a couple of bitfenix replacements. Just as well - my machine, and my entire desk are now vibrating ever so slightly as the fan blade I removed has unbalanced everything...

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone - they arrived today from OCUK and I've installed them both in the top of the case. I see what you mean about it being a tight fit. Here are some photos of the installation so you can see where the difficulties were. You can click on the images to see full res versions. Album link: imgur.com/a/hbM7q

The case
m6zLXPXs.jpg.png

Lid off, 1 old fan
uxK6zNus.jpg.png

Old & new
jbN5M2us.jpg.png

This is one problem - the case has two rivets towards the front of the case on top that stop you from being able to screw down the fan all the way
PqcSivos.jpg.png

Mor obvious here:
TUhEj34s.jpg.png

The fan came with rubber mounting things, but they wouldn't fit in the screw holes, so I mounted it with the metal screws provided.

This is why it's difficult. All the cables that fit in the header have to come through that gap, and the bitfenix fan covers half of it up.
kyKNcYjs.jpg.png

Installed:
eAtWjras.jpg.png
YMbb4U3s.jpg.png

Inside view:
L0UGEkMs.jpg.png

Associate
Associate
Cheers Anthony, looks nice, I'm trying to choose a fan controller myself but annoyingly I have got space for a double slot one as I've only got 3 5.25 bays, one is filled with a blu-ray drive and the other has a hdd mounted in it.

Associate
Cheers Anthony, looks nice, I'm trying to choose a fan controller myself but annoyingly I have got space for a double slot one as I've only got 3 5.25 bays, one is filled with a blu-ray drive and the other has a hdd mounted in it.

I thought that case had lots of HDD cages that you accessed from the back ? or have you removed them ? also can't you move the HDD to the floor of your case ??

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah it has 2 drive cages but I've currently taken them both out to maximize airflow from the front fan. I have a 2.5" ssd mounted behind the motherboard and a 3.5" 2TB hdd in one of the 5.25" bays. It's not really a problem, there are plenty of fan controllers that only take 1 bay so I'll just have to get one of them. The Lamptron FC5 V3 is looking very nice so far.

Associate
OP
Just for info for anyone else with the clicking fan problem, replacing the stock fan with the bitfenux one hasn't actually solved the issue - it still clicks for about 5 minutes when I first turn the computer on each time. I think the culprit is actually the strip of metal that goes across the top of the case underneath the fan, not the fan itself.

At a complete guess, I'd say when the PC is cold, the strip of metal arches upwards and gets in the way of the fan, but when the PC has warmed up, the strip relaxes and gets straight again which is why it stops after a few minutes?!

Associate
Just for info for anyone else with the clicking fan problem, replacing the stock fan with the bitfenux one hasn't actually solved the issue - it still clicks for about 5 minutes when I first turn the computer on each time. I think the culprit is actually the strip of metal that goes across the top of the case underneath the fan, not the fan itself.

At a complete guess, I'd say when the PC is cold, the strip of metal arches upwards and gets in the way of the fan, but when the PC has warmed up, the strip relaxes and gets straight again which is why it stops after a few minutes?!

I am going to have a close look at mine as I sit about 2 feet away from my case and have not noticed any clicking from a cold start.

Associate
OP
I've had the case for 3 years - it only started doing it a couple of months ago. PC's been on all day and it only did it for a few minutes when I first turned it on.

Back
Top Bottom