Maximus VI Formula CrossChill

Associate
Hey guys im after some advice please. you guys have been so good so far and have offered me some great advice.

I have a Maximus VI Formula motherboard, and will be watercooling.

To make the runs more smoother and cleaner I was going to use the onboard CrossChill block on the motherboard.
Is this safe to use, im sure I read somewhere there was posts on some forum about using it as it was bare ally in the block ?.

So is this safe to use with my loop ?

I will be using mayhems fluid(don't know if it will make a difference)

I have got on order a ek supremecy evo nickel cpu block, with the normal rads ect. is it something to do with mixing metals, and the ally in the CrossChill is not coated ally or something.

So some advice before I do it please guys.

Associate
From what I understand, mixing metals causes galvanic corrosion. I am not sure if Mayhems fluid has inhibitors to prevent this, so as a rule of thumb I would not do this personally. A shame to hear this as I have the z77 MVF board and was thinking along the same lines as yourself.

This was copied from overclock.net;

"Do not mix metals
You can have
copper, nickel, brass, stainless steel in the same loop
If you have any metal like this do not use something that is aluminum. Doing so will cause Galvanic corrosion which is very bad"

Associate
I have that same motherboard under water and my loop's been running for about 10 months.

I'll be flushing my system in a couple of weeks (adding another rad and changing res) so I'll be able to have a good inspection then but I've not seen any issues at all.

I used Mayhems X1 in my loop which has inhibitors. If you use a high quality fluid like Mayhems X1 or AquaComputer DP then mixing metals in your loop won't be an issue.

Associate
OP
I have that same motherboard under water and my loop's been running for about 10 months.

I'll be flushing my system in a couple of weeks (adding another rad and changing res) so I'll be able to have a good inspection then but I've not seen any issues at all.

I used Mayhems X1 in my loop which has inhibitors. If you use a high quality fluid like Mayhems X1 or AquaComputer DP then mixing metals in your loop won't be an issue.

Cool will be good to see, many thanks

Associate
OP
From what I understand, mixing metals causes galvanic corrosion. I am not sure if Mayhems fluid has inhibitors to prevent this, so as a rule of thumb I would not do this personally. A shame to hear this as I have the z77 MVF board and was thinking along the same lines as yourself.

This was copied from overclock.net;

"Do not mix metals
You can have
copper, nickel, brass, stainless steel in the same loop
If you have any metal like this do not use something that is aluminum. Doing so will cause Galvanic corrosion which is very bad"

This is what I was wandering myself. I presume it would be fine with quality liquid. would be nice to see if the mayhems rep could advise though,

Associate
I have the same board as you OP, I have been watercooling this board since January with a Raystorm block on the CPU and haven't noticed any corrosion issues, I also have used Mayhems red uv premixed stuff. I did a fair bit of reading before building my loop and came to the conclusion that mixing metals is fine providing you use decent fluid.

Associate
OP
Soldato
Will be fine with decent fluid.

The is a lot of anti-aluminium spite on the net due to the fact that a lot of people running tapwater* had issues with it and it developed a "rep" because they refused to hold themselves responsible for their own mistakes.

For reference Aluminium is barely more reactive than the tin flux in radiator joint solders.

*or other fluids with insufficient corrosion protection.

Back
Top Bottom