Gay Man Survives Hammer Attack

Caporegime
You sound like a thoroughly unpleasant individual. It doesn't matter how irritating you find something you don't bury a hammer in someone's head. There are ways of dealing with your irritation that are much more socially acceptable.

The idea that it's some how even slightly explainable because of how the guy *might* have behaved is disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

And you sound illiterate as you clearly can't read what I've written. Twice. Why should I be ashamed for understanding how people can be pushed to violence? Because I'm a nice chap I'll again reiterate for you that it is in no way the acceptable thing to do but I can understand how when you are forced to endure someone who goes against all your beliefs that in certain individuals it can lead to violence.

Caporegime
what you think he was "mincing" particularly loudly while he slept?

No, but I imagine if you have decided to hurt someone it's easier to do it whilst they are defenceless?
The same way you'll frequently find wives who murder their husbands will do it whilst they are sleeping.
It does show forethought and premeditation behind the attack certainly. It's something that was planned, not a case where the guy simply flipped. So again, something that's been building up over time.

Soldato
OP
And you sound illiterate as you clearly can't read what I've written. Twice. Why should I be ashamed for understanding how people can be pushed to violence? Because I'm a nice chap I'll again reiterate for you that it is in no way the acceptable thing to do but I can understand how when you are forced to endure someone who goes against all your beliefs that in certain individuals it can lead to violence.

He wasn't forced at all, if he wants to be an intolerant ass there's nothing stopping him leaving.

Caporegime
He wasn't forced at all, if he wants to be an intolerant ass there's nothing stopping him leaving.

He didn't select this individual as a housemate. He was forced upon him.
How do you know what he had to tolerate? We know from the description that the guilty party was against homosexuality, we don't however know what the victim was like. He could have been a lovely upstanding bloke or he could have been ridiculously camp as discussed earlier which may have strongly offended the guilty party. Why should he have to tolerate something unnecessary like that?
Why should anyone be forced to endure something awful under the guise of tolerance?

Of course this is all purely hypothetical because we don't know the true circumstances. All I've said from the start is that I can understand what can drive people to violence. Not that I condone it.

Of course because I didn't immediately shout for the guy to be buggered within an inch of his life and call the victim a hero I'm a horrible person.

Soldato
All I've said from the start is that I can understand what can drive people to violence. Not that I condone it.
I think confusion is arising with your use of "understand". That word can often imply a sense of empathy e.g. "I understand what you're going through", especially in this context where knowing that certain nonspecific things can drive certain people to violence is patently obvious, and so commenting on that would seem unnecessary - whether your intention or not.

I think mentally ill is a fairly accurate description of the attacker. Someone being camp can be annoying, but it for it be so frustrating that a brutal murder is the logical solution is evidence of seriously disturbed behaviour, no matter how camp.
He could have been a lovely upstanding bloke or he could have been ridiculously camp as discussed earlier which may have strongly offended the guilty party. Why should he have to tolerate something unnecessary like that?
Tolerating the harmless behaviour of other people is a normal part of human coexistence. If you disagree with it, that's fine, but if you disagree so strongly you physically interfere with the lives of others you should be stopped.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why should anyone be forced to endure something awful under the guise of tolerance?.

what awefulness was he forced to endure.

and before you say camp, you know more straight people are "camp" than gays right?

and its straight people who made it famous.

and who says the guy was camp at all?

lovely upstanding bloke or he could have been ridiculously camp

interesting the opposite of upstanding and lovely is camp?

Caporegime
what awefulness was he forced to endure.

and before you say camp, you know more straight people are "camp" than gays right?

and its straight people who made it famous.

and who says the guy was camp at all?

interesting the opposite of upstanding and lovely is camp?

Nobody did. If you bothered reading properly you'd see that I said we don't know the circumstances. We don't know what he had to endure - if anything.

Soldato
I think confusion is arising with your use of "understand". That word can often imply a sense of empathy e.g. "I understand what you're going through", especially in this context where knowing that certain nonspecific things can drive certain people to violence is patently obvious, and so commenting on that would seem unnecessary - whether your intention or not.

I think mentally ill is a fairly accurate description of the attacker. Someone being camp can be annoying, but it for it be so frustrating that a brutal murder is the logical solution is evidence of seriously disturbed behaviour, no matter how camp.Tolerating the harmless behaviour of other people is a normal part of human coexistence. If you disagree with it, that's fine, but if you disagree so strongly you physically interfere with the lives of others you should be stopped.
Indeed,

There is understanding the casual factors behind a given behaviour & another to consider irrational prejudice as being exculpatory. The use of language & clear bias to me indicates at least an element of the latter.

Soldato
OP
How do you know what he had to tolerate? We know from the description that the guilty party was against homosexuality, we don't however know what the victim was like. He could have been a lovely upstanding bloke or he could have been ridiculously camp as discussed earlier which may have strongly offended the guilty party. Why should he have to tolerate something unnecessary like that?
Why should anyone be forced to endure something awful under the guise of tolerance?

Of course this is all purely hypothetical because we don't know the true circumstances. All I've said from the start is that I can understand what can drive people to violence. Not that I condone it.

Again, he hasn't been forced upon him at all, he could ask the landlord about changing the tenant, or just leave...

Of course because I didn't immediately shout for the guy to be buggered within an inch of his life and call the victim a hero I'm a horrible person.

Well yes, to be honest anyone that has a shred of sympathy for someone who has the capability to carry out a calculated, crude and brutal attack like this might need to rethink...

Caporegime
Again, he hasn't been forced upon him at all, he could ask the landlord about changing the tenant, or just leave...

Well yes, to be honest anyone that has a shred of sympathy for someone who has the capability to carry out a calculated, crude and brutal attack like this might need to rethink...

Lol!!!

Have you actually read what you've said?! Because I didn't ask for a man to be raped I'm a horrible person?! What?!

Associate
Jesus wept.

Leaving aside for the moment the issue of whether (i) the victim was in fact "camp" as you hypothesize, and (ii) whether being camp should ellicit such offense, according to you the correct response to your hypothetical scenario of an "annoying/offensive" housemate is to hammer them in the head? How about housemates with a particularly annoying accent? Terrible BO? And what if they will never flush the toilet?

Will you also "understand" if they were hammered in the head too?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Jesus wept.

Leaving aside for the moment the issue of whether (i) the victim was in fact "camp" as you hypothesize, and (ii) whether being camp should ellicit such offense, according to you the correct response to your hypothetical scenario of an "annoying/offensive" housemate is to hammer them in the head? How about housemates with a particularly annoying accent? Terrible BO? And what if they will never flush the toilet?

Will you also "understand" if they were hammered in the head too?

Learn to read. I stated in my very first post that violence is the wrong response. I did state however that I can understand how the behaviour of some extremely camp individuals would want to drive someone to violence. I also stated we have no evidence of the victims behaviour so everything is pure speculation.

Associate
Learn to read.
I can do that just fine, thanks.
I stated in my very first post that violence is the wrong response.
Perhaps you should have stopped back there, then?
I did state however that I can understand how the behaviour of some extremely camp individuals would want to drive someone to violence
There are so many things wrong with that sentence, I don't know where to start.
I also stated we have no evidence of the victims behaviour so everything is pure speculation.
So you thought the sensible thing to do was to speculate in order to express sympathy with the attacker under a situation that might not be true at all?

Caporegime
I can do that just fine, thanks. Perhaps you should have stopped back there, then?There are so many things wrong with that sentance, I don't know where to start. So you thought the sensible thing to do was to speculate in order to express sympathy with the attacker under a situation that might not be true at all?

Evidently you can't read.

And I'll stop where I want to stop.

I never stated I sympathised. I instead empathised and understood. Two very different things to sympathy.

Does a psychiatrist sympathise with their patients? No. But they must understand them.

Soldato
I'm sorry the act happened, not sure i'm sorry for the victim. I don't know him.

I once lived in a shared house and it was an awful time.

On my floor there were two apartments. The other tennant, some woman in her late 20s was a drunken nuisance. She went out one night, came back and left her gravy knickers in the hallway floor. Obviously hooked up with some random bloke and left them there AFTER the fact.

I knocked on the door, told her to clear them up and she started swearing at me. I just binned them. Because I did that, she spent two hours banging on my door. So I called the cops.

She was quiet for an hour, then started up again but more drunk this time and she actually hit me. I pushed her through the hallway. Someone else called the police and they were going to arrest us both and didn't want to hear my side of the story.

They sided with the drunk psychopath because it was a woman.

Few months of living like that I did actually want to kill her. I may have done if I didn't move.

Trying to sleep at night when you have work early in the morning only to have some lunatic ruin every single night was getting beyond a joke.

I even tried being nice and asking her if she needed any help. Absolute nutter.

The landlord didn't want to know because she always paid rent on time and the previous tenant didn't.

Not lived in a shared property since that, never will again. Not with strangers at least.

You can never know the full extent of a story but nobody deserves a claw hammer to the head. Maybe a good shoe'in perhaps.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So you thought the sensible thing to do was to speculate in order to express sympathy with the attacker under a situation that might not be true at all?

The fallacy is your seeing his post as expressing sympathy with the attacker when it isn't at all.

Back
Top Bottom