Netflix / Amazon Prime / Now TV

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've preordered the Amazon Fire TV for this reason.

I pay almost £40 pcm to Sky, and I only watch the F1. Using the Fire TV I can subscribe to Netflix and use it in conjunction with my Amazon Prime subscription for a total of around £13 pcm.

The biggest selling point was that the device handles all the big streaming services and it is on offer at £49 for Prime members at the moment too :)

Man of Honour
I wish I could find something that played everything that cheaply, but went for a £200 tiny PC fits in your palm. All ready got Netflix/amazon/nowtv/ set up on it. as well as youtube, Xbox movies, live stream and a few others. Friday be buying http://www.pctvsystems.com/Products...S2Stick/tabid/236/language/en-GB/Default.aspx for it to get freest and good buy sky, nowtv is several times cheaper with pretty much all the important stuff on it and f1 will just buy a 24hr pass when needed.

Caporegime
I think it's a case of netflix turning a blind eye to it. They could hold you to be in breach of their ts and cs but why would they want to do that? They're getting your £6 a month, so they're happy. Content providers could chivvy them to do it, I guess, but I can't see it being worth getting excited over.

Man of Honour
I wish I could find something that played everything that cheaply, but went for a £200 tiny PC fits in your palm. All ready got Netflix/amazon/nowtv/ set up on it. as well as youtube, Xbox movies, live stream and a few others. Friday be buying http://www.pctvsystems.com/Products...S2Stick/tabid/236/language/en-GB/Default.aspx for it to get freest and good buy sky, nowtv is several times cheaper with pretty much all the important stuff on it and f1 will just buy a 24hr pass when needed.

Wish Netflix and Amazon would move away from Silverlight - it works fine on my Windows 7 systems but I've a couple of Windows 8 tablets/laptops where the sound just cuts out after 10 seconds of playback whatever I do.

Gonna try a USB dongle for the sound when I get around to it but I'm 99% sure its a Windows 8 issue.

EDIT: Bah having posted that decided to actually try it and seems it works fine (so far) with the dongle so looks like a sound driver issue with Intel based embedded sound hardware (all use variations of the same sound chipset).

Last edited:
Soldato
Wish Netflix and Amazon would move away from Silverlight - it works fine on my Windows 7 systems but I've a couple of Windows 8 tablets/laptops where the sound just cuts out after 10 seconds of playback whatever I do.

Gonna try a USB dongle for the sound when I get around to it but I'm 99% sure its a Windows 8 issue.

EDIT: Bah having posted that decided to actually try it and seems it works fine (so far) with the dongle so looks like a sound driver issue with Intel based embedded sound hardware (all use variations of the same sound chipset).

Silverlight stuff plays properly with the sound intact using my G930 headset on my Windows 8 tablet. Maybe you're on to something.

Soldato
Despite my annoyance at the lack of transparency over Game of Thrones, I've just rejoined NowTV for Lost and Boardwalk Empire. No idea when both will finish though, so I've no idea whether to binge or gorge!

At least it supports Chromecast now.

Soldato

The Roku box does this, with the exception of Amazon right now. I have Plex setup on it and it streams all my media and also streams US shows from the Plex media server.

Man of Honour
Silverlight stuff plays properly with the sound intact using my G930 headset on my Windows 8 tablet. Maybe you're on to something.

Been playing around with a couple of laptops and tablets and seems they don't like to play nice with silverlight and Windows 8 with the onboard sound :S (mostly using fairly cheap and nasty intel or c-media codecs though) work fine using any USB dongle/DAC I've tried though (one of which is based on c-media albeit a fairly high end version of their hardware).

One of the laptops can dual boot 7 and 8 and works fine on 7 so it looks like a Windows 8 driver issue with the lower end sound stuff, not tried anything higher end as my desktops all have 7 on them for good reason :p

Man of Honour
Never had an issue on any device, they all use on board sound and win8. laptop, desktop, htpc.

The Roku box does this, with the exception of Amazon right now. I have Plex setup on it and it streams all my media and also streams US shows from the Plex media server.

It clearly doesn't though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There is a lot of overlap but its not 100% the same, also amazon has a lot of stuff to purchase that isn't available at all on netflix if your buying titles rather than streaming from a rented service.

EDIT: They all have their own exclusives also, though eventually they tend to get distributed to other platforms - netflix makes some pretty good in house tv shows and amazon is starting to do the same though the quality is more hit and miss.

Soldato
OP
Dont Netflix, Amazon and Now TV have all the same films on their service though?

There is a small overlap but each service has enough unique content to justify the individual subscriptions.

Also found out I don't have to resort to downloads to get my Sons Of Anarchy S7 fix...it's being added to amazon week by week at just £1.89/episode.

Soldato
OP
Amazon Prime video really comes into its own when watched through the TV.

Since I got the PS4 last week i've used it more for Prime than games!!! There are some duplicate content but I like the TV series more on Prime.

Yeah, I find i'm watching more on Amazon than the other two combined, the TV selection is unmatched.

Soldato
Not sure why I'm still bothering with sky TBH. We have netflix, and did try a free month of Amazon, but found the streaming wasn't so good.Maybe that has improved now?
I do know I am getting fed up with the amount of repeats on sky, for what it costs I am finding it harder and harder to justify, especially with a smart tv.

Man of Honour
Just be nice if someone could make an app, which pulled in the info from all services you have, so you could see everything in one place.

:( it's refusing to play in anything bit lowest quality today :(, very abnormal.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just be nice if someone could make an app, which pulled in the info from all services you have, so you could see everything in one place.

:( it's refusing to play in anything bit lowest quality today :(, very abnormal.

Amazon Fire has - Amazon Prime, Netflix, Now TV, Plex
Roku has - Youtube, Plex, Netflix, Now TV
ATV - Youtube, - not so important....Apple Movies, Apple Trailers
PS4 - Amazon Prime, Netflix

I just need something with Youtube, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Plex/DLNA.

Is this so HARD? !!?!!

Back
Top Bottom