Tablet recommendation please

Soldato
Hi all,
So I'll be honest here - the tablet products have really passed me by. The format doesn't really interest me and I've not really taken any notice of them. I know Apple make some and I know that even if I personally was interested in one it wouldn't be an Apple one.
So, the wife has decided she wants one. She would like to browse the web, update her social media and play the "games of the moment" which she currently plays on her phone.
She'd also like to be able to update her Wordpress blog too - she has used a tablet at work and found that she can type on one.

What recommendations do you have? Budget wise, I'm not too sure. Not into the Apple price ranges, whcih of course rules out the Apple and I'm guessing the MS Surface products.
Something Android I'm assuming here....?

Cheers for any recommendations on that rather poor requirement above.

Associate
I've had an Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" for a while now and very happy with it. I use it for the majority of web browsing and online shopping. Played a few games on it, streamed a few hd movies. It's very fast I'm not left waiting for it to catch up, the screen res is excellent and the sound is pretty good too. Only thing I've changed is side loading dolphin browser as I had some problems with the silk browser that's included. You don't have access to the Google play store but Amazon's own store however you can manually install most software easily if there's something you want that Amazon don't have. If I use it on and off all day just for web browsing then I only use about 20% battery.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry it took me a while to thank you for the reply.
Some people mentioned that the Kindle was just "too" tied in to Amazon, but I'm guessing that isn't really the case?
My wife is using an iPad (not mini) at work and likes the form factor, so that will be what - a 10" display.

Nexus 7 was another mentioned elsewhere, but then I see others saying that this is coming to the end of its life with new models around the corner?

Budget wise - guess we're looking in the £200 - £250 range. The Android equivalant of the iPad at the above budget I guess is what we are seeking.

Ta

Soldato
OP
We are now leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1"
It's currently available for £299 (16GB model). It's at the very top-end of our budget. However the 10.1" is going to be the closest to the iPad size.

Associate
We are now leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1"
It's currently available for £299 (16GB model). It's at the very top-end of our budget. However the 10.1" is going to be the closest to the iPad size.

I recently got a Samsung Tabpro 8" for £200, im very happy with it. No point paying extra for the Tab S in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom