rMBP 15": Battery Life Intergrated GPU vs Dedicated GPU Battery Life

Associate
Hello all,

I have finally decided to buy a rMBP 15". Once thing I am concerned about is the battery life of integrated vs dedicated.

1. Does the dedicated GPU reduce the battery a lot (numbers if poss)?
2. Is the GPU always powered on, or does it only kick in when required?

Thanks

Permabanned
I had the Ivy Bridge rMBP with the iGPU and dGPU. The dGPU activates when required but when it does the battery life suffered a lot. You could switch off the dGPU with software but some apps would activate the dGPU anyway like Parallels.

I now have the Haswell rMBP and decided to get the iGPU only version for that reason. I don't game on mine so I just like the simplicity of it now.

Associate
If you buy the dual GPU version of the rMPB, you should be able to control whether or not the dGPU is activated through a third party app called gfxCardStatus. I've found the nVidia GPU is beneficial for certain purposes, primarily gaming but also certain apps such as Adobe Premiere can take advantage also.

I have the dual GPU 15" Haswell rMPB and force OS X to use the integrated GPU for most daily tasks, unless I need the extra power from the discrete GPU. I've found that it never auto switches to the nVidia GPU unless I set gfxCardStatus to 'Dynamic Switching'.

I believe you can instruct Parallels to use the integrated GPU as default by setting the VM to 'Longer battery life' if you opt not to use gfxCardStatus.

Back
Top Bottom