• iPhone 6 plus 16gb

Votes: 18 3.3%
  • iPhone 6 plus 64gb

Votes: 109 20.1%
  • iPhone 6 plus 128gb

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
What are the iphone black silicone and leather cases like that Apple sell? They look pretty decent for £25 & £35. On my current iphone 5 i have an apple sold plastic hard shell case which is great - cant remember the make but i bought it in an apple shop for £25

I have a feeling tge silicone ones may go all baggy in time so will just get a leather unless someone recommends something thats a lot better for ~£30

Caporegime
2GB of data is nothing in this day and age!

Also, if you have a lot of friends with iOS devices, you'll be sending messages with iMessage, so really, you don't need a massive text allowance. I think I use 20 of my 5000 messages because the mrs uses an iPhone and those 20 are failed iMessages.

If you can afford it, the sim-only plans are always better because you're not paying for the phone on top of a (usually poor tariff).

depends on your usage.

I barely touch my 2gb limit.

Soldato
You don't just get the phone for that cost IMO. Apple has the best customer service out of any company i have ever dealt with e.g. Walking into an Apple store with a handset from insurance that was faulty and them swapping it there and then, no questions asked. Or them allowing me to buy a phone and keep it for 3 weeks (with a note from a manager) knowing I was going to return it for a full refund after 3 weeks by which time my insurance handset will have came through.

Try that at another company and I would have been laughed at.

"Im going to buy this item from you, use it for 3 weeks then return it and want my money back because im getting it from someone else"

But that can't be true as Apple only sell the most highly engineered products on the planet so (1) you don't need a warranty and (2) it will never go wrong. Not sure why there are so many people milling around the Genius bars with their iPhones though waiting for assessment and repair.

BTW - You will struggle to find a better retailer on warranties than JL.

Caporegime
I think it's unfair to single out iPhones as being expensive. In absolute terms yes they are, but it's not a device that you can compare to an iMac.

The iPhone 6 is £539, the Galaxy S5 is £519.95. I've no doubt which one is the better value for money.

Yes the prices on new launch Android handsets drop through the floor a few months after release, but that's more a reaction to what the market finds to be an acceptable price.

I don't know what point you're trying to make about people taking their iPhones to the Genius Bar. Being well built doesn't mean they will never have an issue, and it doesn't mean that people won't need to ask a "how do I do this" question.

Associate
i have had my IP5 for two years, and its never ever missed a beat :) to add to which i have gone thru all the iphones from the release of the 3GS and only once have i ever had to get a replacement and that was an IP4 for aknown carrier fail issue i beleive, but changed/replaced within hours of being diagnosed

Soldato
I reserved a 16GB and 64GB iPhone 6 for pickup from the local Apple Store this morning, so currently trying to work out what carrier/tariff I want as well as whether to stick with my policy of always getting the lowest capacity available.

I've been fine with 16GB so far, after all.

Soldato
I think it's unfair to single out iPhones as being expensive. In absolute terms yes they are, but it's not a device that you can compare to an iMac.

The iPhone 6 is £539, the Galaxy S5 is £519.95. I've no doubt which one is the better value for money.

Yes the prices on new launch Android handsets drop through the floor a few months after release, but that's more a reaction to what the market finds to be an acceptable price.

I don't know what point you're trying to make about people taking their iPhones to the Genius Bar. Being well built doesn't mean they will never have an issue, and it doesn't mean that people won't need to ask a "how do I do this" question.

I could take issue with you about the Sammy - mine is now 3 years old, looks as new and has never missed a beat. I notice you failed to put the M8 in your list which most impartial reviewers state it is a better phone all round than the iPhone.

You are right when you say you can't compare an iMac to an iPhone as the iMac is a far more desirable value added item than a phone.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The fact that Samsung releases a new phone every 2 nanoseconds also means that they will always out-spec the iPhone.

Apple don't release on the bleeding edge, but they do typically release with the best implementation.

I think the point about Apple releasing the most highly engineered products is true though. I haven't seen another phone on the market with the build quality of the iPhone 5s and now the 6/6+.

Caporegime
The m8 is 549.99 ....I couldn't bring myself to buy one at that price tbh....

I'm running kitkat on my galaxy s2 and I'm totally bored of android....

Yeah the m8 would be a better faster experience but not new enough for the outlay from a psychological perspective :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
I could take issue with you about the Sammy - mine is now 3 years old, looks as new and has never missed a beat. I notice you failed to put the M8 in your list which most impartial reviewers state it is a better phone all round than the iPhone.

You are right when you say you can't compare an iMac to an iPhone as the iMac is a far more desirable value added item than a phone.

But an iMac can't make phone calls or provide you with data connected services on the move. They are completely different things, and I've no idea why you're trying to compare the value they each bring. It's like asking someone if they'd prefer a sandwich or an umbrella.

I know you'd like to see yourself as some sort of voice of reason against the Reality Distortion Field, but you're clutching at straws on this one. The point I was making is that iPhones are not more expensive on launch than comparable handsets from competing manufacturers, a point you've just made for me with the HTC One M8 priced at £529.95. If you think I left it out on purpose then you're misguided, I don't have a clue what Android handsets are good, I just picked the one I see adverts for everywhere.

Impartial reviewers don't have to live with a handset for two years of waiting for OS updates that never come, or weeks waiting for warranty repairs to be carried out. If you buy purely off a spec sheet then Android is probably the platform for you, but I prefer the Apple way.

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't seen another phone on the market with the build quality of the iPhone 5s and now the 6/6+.

That's just not true anymore though. The HTC One M8, LG G3, Xperia Z3 & compact, Samsung Galaxy Alpha are all as solidly built as any iPhone and arguably better designed- HTC One for its unibody design without ridiculously huge antenna bars (as on iPhone 6), the Xperia with seamless glass front and back and waterproofing, the LG G3 with huge battery and screen yet minimal bezels, The Galaxy Alpha for it's iPhone 6 beating thinness.

Apple's designers have clearly had a mare with the iPhone 6 having a low capacity battery, not market leading thinness, sticky out camera and huge antenna bars.

Associate
Apple are amazing at selling things. Before the iphone 6 launch i was perfectly happy with my android but there is something about the way they launch & sell their products that makes you (or at least me) want to buy them. I have no idea what it is. I was watching the launch thinking nothing but OMG I NEED THIS PHONE AND WATCH ! It's like some kind of drug where you think "I don't need this, life would be better and cheaper without it" but you just can't resist handing over your cash. They are exceptionally good at making you believe that their product is unique and superior in every way.

Thats how i feel anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know you'd like to see yourself as some sort of voice of reason against the Reality Distortion Field, but you're clutching at straws on this one. The point I was making is that iPhones are not more expensive on launch than comparable handsets from competing manufacturers, a point you've just made for me with the HTC One M8 priced at £529.95.

Apple are certainly more expensive than comparable handsets.

Example, iPhone 6 16GB... £539.99

Xperia Z3 compact.... £429.99

iPhone 6 plus 16GB.... £619.00

LG G3..... £400

The iPhones are so overpriced it's maddening. Unfortunately that's the price of iOS entry!

Caporegime
You're turning this into "what phones in my opinion are better than the iPhone", which wasn't the point. HTCs current flagship is the One M8, Samsung's is the S5. Both of which are priced similarly to the iPhone 6.

Whether this is other manufacturers seeing what Apple price their handsets at and assuming that's acceptable is a different issue.

Soldato
Why are you ignoring LG and Sony's offerings? As shown, they're significantly cheaper. Also the gap widens as soon as you add in 64GB or 128GB iPhones as micro sd cards are so much cheaper than what Apple are charging for extra storage. Your argument is completely flawed. It's not opinion that android phones are cheaper, it's fact as demonstrated.

Caporegime
Again, you aren't getting my point. Samsung is arguably what people end up with when they don't buy Apple, so I think it's fair to compare the two. LG and Sony etc. are blips on the Android radar in comparison, which might explain the pricing.

If you want a flawed argument then a 32GB iPhone is not the same as a 16GB Android handset with a 16GB SD card.

Soldato
You're turning this into "what phones in my opinion are better than the iPhone", which wasn't the point. HTCs current flagship is the One M8, Samsung's is the S5. Both of which are priced similarly to the iPhone 6.

Whether this is other manufacturers seeing what Apple price their handsets at and assuming that's acceptable is a different issue.

To be fair you can easily shop around and get The M8/S5 much cheaper then their RRP, not something you can really do with the iPhone. For example handtech has the S5 for £369.

Back
Top Bottom