Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Since the Superhub 1, you can't access the admin pages until the modem is online. It makes it's difficult to debug issues when the problem is you can't get online, but it was done to stop people grabbing the WAN port before the modem goes online. Then they could pretend to be the head end server and hand out whatever config file they liked, thus unlocking the modem.

It was bit silly as you would get caught as soon as you used your extra speed, but people got away with it in the old days of Blueyonder and NTL before they started tracking such things.

Man of Honour
Central-ish London, congested is a given unfortunately. What advantage would I have moving to FTTC? I'm very reluctant to halve my download when I just got a Deus Ex off Steam in 14 minutes :D

For me the ability to play games and generally browse the web at peak times made the transition much easier. Though I did go from 100Mbit to 78Mbit so not such a huge drop.

Soldato
Here we go.... peak time test.

3764794531.png

Well and truly fixed. Chuffed.

Glad it's been resolved. I ran a test at 7pm and got full speed, but then subsequent tests around 8 and 9 yielded slightly slower results. Still north of 120mb but not what I know the line is capable of.

Associate
Hi all having serious issues with my super hub 2 (ui says its a 2) at the moment, can't login to the admin ages at all, I see a password field but no username field. Resetting doesn't help. It seems to be somehow reliant on the internet connection ???? WTF? as it only goes wrong when I am getting extremely poor speeds like sub 1mb paying for 50.

I have an engineer coming out Thursday, should I insist on a new router, or do I just stick this one in modem mode and buy a decent router. Its been a while since I used my old WRT54G.

You don't need a username. Just fill the password in which is changeme by default

Soldato
Since I moaned to Virgin media and asked for a cancellation my connection has been locked to 162mb pretty much all the time. No idea what they did but it's working very well (for now)...

Soldato
well I went home yesterday after work to see a Virgin van and a guy digging up the road...

Hooray! I thought, bit odd that I called up the day before and they knew nothing but, hey ho. So I go talk to him, noticing where he is digging the grass to the downstairs flat thinking "Hey thats a bit odd", and he's all like:

"Yeah I'm installing it for flat A (I'm flat D, part of a massive house that's been converted) who moved in on Saturday but when I came out then they didn't have permission from the landlady so we bypassed the system, said I installed it and im doing it now"..

I'VE BEEN WAITING 2 MONTHS. TWO FREAKING MONTHS. And they get it installed on the day they move in!

Made phonecalls to the construction team who had no idea what was going on, giving me some BS excuse about how were on a different T junction in the road, which would be physically impossible, and the cabinet is technically closer to my flat. Said the best they can do is email the contractor and wait for a response... so next week.

Called Virgin directly and all they did was read the note that the construction person had left from my above call and then called them back and gave me a long winded version of the bs excuse.

Also spoke to the engineer who's going to have a word with his manager this morning so :/

I'm SO annoyed.

Associate
I had practically the same issue. Loads of failed installs. No one knew what was going on. Construction blaming on one team and someone else on another etc etc.

I kicked off on Twitter. Got big discount!

Oh and it got sorted. Some guy from their Twitter team called me and made sure it got sorted!

well I went home yesterday after work to see a Virgin van and a guy digging up the road...

Hooray! I thought, bit odd that I called up the day before and they knew nothing but, hey ho. So I go talk to him, noticing where he is digging the grass to the downstairs flat thinking "Hey thats a bit odd", and he's all like:

"Yeah I'm installing it for flat A (I'm flat D, part of a massive house that's been converted) who moved in on Saturday but when I came out then they didn't have permission from the landlady so we bypassed the system, said I installed it and im doing it now"..

I'VE BEEN WAITING 2 MONTHS. TWO FREAKING MONTHS. And they get it installed on the day they move in!

Made phonecalls to the construction team who had no idea what was going on, giving me some BS excuse about how were on a different T junction in the road, which would be physically impossible, and the cabinet is technically closer to my flat. Said the best they can do is email the contractor and wait for a response... so next week.

Called Virgin directly and all they did was read the note that the construction person had left from my above call and then called them back and gave me a long winded version of the bs excuse.

Also spoke to the engineer who's going to have a word with his manager this morning so :/

I'm SO annoyed.

Associate
Does anyone get terrible range on their Superhub 1?

I had one for a couple of weeks before getting a Superhub 2 and the range was far worse than my 5 year old Netgear wireless N router :confused:

Associate
Does anyone know the number I have to ring to activate my superhub?

Got a new one a little while ago but the wife has thrown out the letter that came with it.

I've just been on the merry-go-round that is both the VM website and even worse the telephone system. My god! They're bad!!

Cheers :)

Soldato
I'm thinking of buying a range extender for my superhub2. I don't have any AC devices so am happy with an for the time being but can anyone recommend something?? I want to carry on using the superhub wifi, just give it a boost. Thanks.

Associate
I'm thinking of buying a range extender for my superhub2. I don't have any AC devices so am happy with an for the time being but can anyone recommend something?? I want to carry on using the superhub wifi, just give it a boost. Thanks.

Remember range extenders / repeaters essentially cut the bandwidth of your wifi.

I ended up using HomePlugs to join them up to prevent this

Back
Top Bottom