Do you watch a movie/tv show if you've already read the source material?

Soldato
Starting this thread prompted by a bizarre reply I received in a thread I posted earlier.

This thread... http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18624475

I stated...

The Strain has just started, itching to watch it since I finished reading the trilogy a few months back.

First reply...

Why would you want to watch it if you've read the books?

By this logic, if anyone has ever read a book of a movie/tv series, they'd never want to watch it, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Does anyone else feel the same way, am I the odd one out who wants to watch adaptions of things i've read?

Permabanned
I think it's fairly obvious the majority answer to this would be yes. Otherwise no one would ever go and see movies like LOTR, The Hobbit or watch shows like Game of Thrones lol.

I probably wouldn't do it straight after each other so things aren't so fresh on my mind though.

Commissario
Yes.

The same reason I'll sometimes watch two or three versions of the same film, because it can be interesting and fun to see how the film maker has taken the source material and adapted it for screen (especially if it's films done over the space of forty or more years, so you get to see how techniques have changed).

It's a bit like with Anime I'll quite happily watch both the subbed and dubbed version because the differences in performance can be interesting and you never know what version will be best.

Man of Honour
I am avoiding game of thrones on tv so I can finish the books and the enjoy it. I tend to prioritise book over film or tv but of a story works then sure, watch it multiple ways.

Man of Honour
Otherwise no one would ever go and see movies like LOTR, The Hobbit or watch shows like Game of Thrones lol

I watched LOTR, Hobbit and GoT but haven't read the books. Sometimes a movie introduces me to a novelist (e.g. I didn't read Grisham until after watching the Pelican Brief at the cinema... I suspect quite a few got their first taste of Clancy on the screen rather than paper too).

Anyway I do and find that the books are nearly always superior to the films as typically you have a much more expansive plot/characterisation.

Back
Top Bottom