would you take a cat d car?

Soldato
Looking to get the Mrs a car, nowt special don't want fincance etc.

For our budget when could afford a 58 plate with 50-60k on the clock, if we went for a cat d then your looking at a 10 plate with 20-30k on the clock.

Looking to keep the car 5-6 years run it into ground etc. So resale isnt a big issue really, so would I be stupid looking at them?

Any pitfalls?

Soldato
Why does everyone who starts theses threads always justify it by running it into the ground. Just run the normal car into the ground and if halfway you do suddenly change your mind, you won't have a difficult time.

Man of Honour
I would and have especially if running it into the ground. Resale value shouldn't make any difference, as you are buying it at a significant discount and such selling it at a significant discount, isn't an issue.

Obvious pitfall is check the repair work and make sure you pay cat d prices.

Why would you have a difficulty time @ pepsilol

Last edited:

Soldato
All depends if you can see what has been repaired

I'd be happy to take a car If I know what has been damaged and what repaired but if it was unknown then I'd be wary

Soldato
Why does everyone who starts theses threads always justify it by running it into the ground. Just run the normal car into the ground and if halfway you do suddenly change your mind, you won't have a difficult time.

If you don't care about resale then one of the biggest negatives is less relevant and secondly, if you do intend to run the car to it's virtual end then why spend the extra money on a straight one just on the off chance you might change your mind?

Though personally, using such reasoning I wouldn't be thinking 'ooh £5k gets me a 58 plate 60k car or a CATD 10 plate 30k car', i'd be thinking 'ooh £5k gets me a 58 plate 60k car, or a CATD one is only £3k' and save money, rather than just get a slightly newer one to run to destruction.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Either car would be ran the same way, and wouldn't be big issue if did want to sell it just know would get less as has been a cat d which is fine as cost less in first place no big deal

Soldato
All depends if you can see what has been repaired

I'd be happy to take a car If I know what has been damaged and what repaired but if it was unknown then I'd be wary

Same.

The people who fix these things properly tend to keep good records of the damage and more importantly the repairs. Without this and assuming its a few thousand pounds plus of car I wouldn't touch it.

Soldato
If you don't care about resale then one of the biggest negatives is less relevant and secondly, if you do intend to run the car to it's virtual end then why spend the extra money on a straight one just on the off chance you might change your mind?

Though personally, using such reasoning I wouldn't be thinking 'ooh £5k gets me a 58 plate 60k car or a CATD 10 plate 30k car', i'd be thinking 'ooh £5k gets me a 58 plate 60k car, or a CATD one is only £3k' and save money, rather than just get a slightly newer one to run to destruction.

But there are so many question marks with cat Ds.

Does it drive straight?
Does it leak water inside?
Has it got electrical niggles?

Why would anyone want to open themselves upto a potential trolling when they can afford a non written off car anyway?

£5k is hardly small money here. £1k yeah Cat D is fine but £5k is pushing it a bit no?

Soldato
Well £5k is just a random figure, we've no idea how much the OP is intending on spending.

There are potentially also virtually no question marks with some Cat Ds, as long as you do your regular due diligence on the car and research it briefly, you can likely avoid most of the lemon cars.

If you're that worried about having a non-perfect car to run to destruction, then obviously no a Cat D isn't for you.

Man of Honour
You could also get a through inspection if you really want piece of mind and even with throat cost, make a massive saving. Assuming you don't test 10 lemons before finding a good one. But as said research and a good look round, should be obvious which are the lemons.

Soldato
Well £5k is just a random figure, we've no idea how much the OP is intending on spending.

There are potentially also virtually no question marks with some Cat Ds, as long as you do your regular due diligence on the car and research it briefly, you can likely avoid most of the lemon cars.

If you're that worried about having a non-perfect car to run to destruction, then obviously no a Cat D isn't for you.

Honestly thought I read he was spending £5k :eek:

Soldato
It was my 2001 Jeep Cherokee. It had had some door and wing damage but I could never shake the feeling, even though I knew what had been replaced, that other things were amiss with it. It suffered from a few other faults that I spent ages chasing around, like a knackered wiper linkage, the doors dropping and a leaking radiator. All probably unrelated but I just got sick of them because every time something cropped up it all seemed potentially related to what had happened.

It drove OK but nowhere near as nicely as my previous one. I grew very tired of it very quickly and was glad to see the back of it. Wasn't something I wanted to hang on to, at any stretch. I'd have rather had one that was 6 years older, with another 40k on the clock, and well looked after - rather than the newer, lower-mileage example with some accident damage.

Plus, if the need ever arises, it's always a pain to sell on - unless you're willing to take a hit and have a load of boring conversations.

Soldato
£4000-4500 budget

Looking at corsas

And will have to have a think/talk with her!

Cheers

You should really buy something else anyway. All the kids at my work spend this kind of money on Corsas and I really don't understand why. But anyway, a 10 plate Corsa is really no different to an 08 plate one, and in fact those extra 2 years don't mean much, it depends on how well the previous owner looked after their car. You might go as far to say that if somebody crashed their Corsa they might be an idiot who never serviced it or washed it too.

Soldato
OP
You should really buy something else anyway. All the kids at my work spend this kind of money on Corsas and I really don't understand why. But anyway, a 10 plate Corsa is really no different to an 08 plate one, and in fact those extra 2 years don't mean much, it depends on how well the previous owner looked after their car. You might go as far to say that if somebody crashed their Corsa they might be an idiot who never serviced it or washed it too.

Why what's wrong with a corsa? And you could use the argument they are all the same so why does anyone ever buy a newer car compared to the same shape/model that's Been out for years?

And service history would be looked at and anyone could not bother getting car serviced!

Back
Top Bottom