Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Having one of those days of it, before my BB died the other week I had noticed a clicking noise occasionally.

Still did it after BB replacement, greased the pedal spindles and it's still there.

Replaced the chain today as I've got into the habit of doing it every 4000km which may be it, not ridden yet to tell. It *could* be the seat I guess but the rails are greased, only happens when pedalling it doesn't if I freewheel so it's either drivetrain or movement on the saddle. Cranks spin beautifully on the new bearings so it's not that, tried another set of wheels so it's not the wheels.

Also noticed when changing wheels back from Zipps to training wheels, a slight high pitched squeal which I have traced to the bearings in the powertap freehub. I washed the bike yday as it was all dusty after being on the back of the ute at work so guess a bit of water worked its way inside. I took the hub off and I've got it inside now trying to dry it incase there is water inside. Worst case I'll have to knock the bearings out and replace but I have other wheels I can use.

Associate
I had something similar - turned out there was rubbing between the PF BB and the drive side bit of the frame. Only happened when I put effort in on that side. May be that, although you did say you've replaced the BB

Oh ... and first sub 18 min lap of RP today! Clearly it depends on what segment you take but I'm picking the 17:48 one ;)

And as much as I dislike the dynamos, they did say thanks when I gave a couple a pull along the south side of the park (think my problem with them is they block you in when overtaking)

http://www.strava.com/activities/196904617/segments/4635987422

Soldato
I had something similar - turned out there was rubbing between the PF BB and the drive side bit of the frame. Only happened when I put effort in on that side. May be that, although you did say you've replaced the BB

Hmmm, I guess it could be that but spinning the cranks with no chain on in the work stand gave no noise.

See what happens, planning to ride tomorrow as need go get back on the training!

Just about hung on in today's handicap, big group off the block, so skipped a couple of turns when I felt like I was going to blow up, rode on the front up the cat 4, climbing is much easier than going full gas on the flat rolling turns! Shorter race at 36km with only one cat climb, but average speed of 41.2kmh! We still didn't get fastest time, that went to the scratch bunch who were maybe a minute quicker than us.

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe - it does sound similar as I tried spinning the cranks too and all was smooth and pedaling lightly was quiet as well. Had to take it to the bike shop as couldn't get that side of the PF BB out but they removed it it and just added some grease where it made contact with the frame

Ma or may not be that, that noise was a right pain to solve for me :(

Soldato
I inspected my bike and I need a new handlebar and rear wheel. What are peoples opinions on these bits to replace with on a triban 5? I was thinking a compact drop handlebar as I didn't have the best flexibility before having 2 spine joints fused! I've never bought components before so any opinions would be welcome!

Wheelset
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-5-blackwhite-clincher-wheelset-2014/

Handlebars
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBPX6061SD/planet-x-road-bar-strada-shallow-drop

Handlebar tape
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BTPXCOG/planet-x-cork-gel-bar-tape
Or
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-gel-cork-bar-tape/

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;26925003 said:
That was in April. Sram recalled all their hydro road discs and replaced them. If these don't have the replacement ones on then both Wiggle and Charge have been negligent.

Replacements for unsold stock were shipped to dealers and manufacturers in May.

The plug 5 looks a great deal! I'd be tempted but I don't fancy having SRAM on one bike when i'm used to shimano..

Soldato
Upon cleaning my bike, I took the rear wheel off to take the cassette off to clean and noticed that the rear derailleur was "wobbly". On further inspection, I found that one of the hanger screws was missing entirely and the other was barely holding the hanger on! That could have explained why my gears have been randomly changing gears lately!

Soldato
Great - it appears my ultegra di2 jockey cage has twisted somehow, I think it's from my crash last month. It looks really out when it's on my turbo trainer, when i'm in the small chainring/big cog the cage brushes up against the side of the trainer (it's a wahoo kickr hence no wheel). I've adjusted the limit screws but to get it away from the trainer it throws it out of the biggest cog into the next one down.

This sounds like it's a typical case of a bent mech hanger but it's not - I replaced that after my crash and it looks fine (it hasn't had any knocks since). The problem only occurs at the more extreme end of the gears as well so I can use most of them OK

Is there anything else I might not have considered? New RD will cost me a bomb given it's Di2

Soldato
Is this 6770 or 6870?

Madison do stock the 6770 outher and inner cage plates but they are £40 and £30 respectively.

A 6770 mech is about £190 rrp as I changed one last week but they are now listed as discontinued so you'll have to find somewhere who already has one in stock.

6870 is a tiny bit cheaper but would mean new chain, cassette, an update or new battery, wires and junction box.

Soldato
Is this 6770 or 6870?

Madison do stock the 6770 outher and inner cage plates but they are £40 and £30 respectively.

A 6770 mech is about £190 rrp as I changed one last week but they are now listed as discontinued so you'll have to find somewhere who already has one in stock.

6870 is a tiny bit cheaper but would mean new chain, cassette, an update or new battery, wires and junction box.

Ah that's not too bad for the plates, it's a 6770 yeah.

Rather oddly, i've spent ages fiddling with it but it now seems OK. I don't know if I managed to straighten out a kink somewhere or what. I'll keep an eye on it for now though.

Soldato
Ah that's not too bad for the plates, it's a 6770 yeah.

Rather oddly, i've spent ages fiddling with it but it now seems OK. I don't know if I managed to straighten out a kink somewhere or what. I'll keep an eye on it for now though.

I ended up changing the hanger with the mech on the bike I worked on as even a slight bend can be a ******* on 10 speed.

Once you've got it straight I'd still check the high and low screws to be sure and I assume you are pressing the button on the front junction and using the small adjustments to perfect it?

Soldato
I ended up changing the hanger with the mech on the bike I worked on as even a slight bend can be a ******* on 10 speed.

Once you've got it straight I'd still check the high and low screws to be sure and I assume you are pressing the button on the front junction and using the small adjustments to perfect it?

Well if there was proof needed it was bent - I thought it was fixed but it wasn't locked into the turbo properly and it was effectively realigning it!

I had a look on the madison site but what worries me is that I need the inner and outer plate - which would be nearly as much as what I can get a new 11spd derailleur for. Given I'm not certain that would even solve it I'm not sure what to do :( I'll try and upload some pics to show the issue

Soldato
Any recommendations for a carbon road/race frame. Probably second hand due to budget of up to £400, although would consider Chinese. Seen a couple of scott foil frames for around that price but not sure of anything else?

Does it have to be carbon?
There is a kinesis Aethein on eBay for £400.that would be a great race bike.size 56. I am quite happy with my fm029 Chinese frame and that was about £400. Check out velobuild.com.

Associate
Family trip to the lake district and cycled from Braithwaite up Whinlatter Pass, on to Buttermere and then Honister Pass... what an absolute monster honister is, yet want to go out again while I'm here! Back to california in a few weeks and taking my bike over and so hope to try a few nice routes and second bash at Mt. Diablo.

Any recommendations for other rides to check out in the lake district area?

http://www.strava.com/activities/196899354

Man of Honour
Family trip to the lake district and cycled from Braithwaite up Whinlatter Pass, on to Buttermere and then Honister Pass... what an absolute monster honister is, yet want to go out again while I'm here! Back to california in a few weeks and taking my bike over and so hope to try a few nice routes and second bash at Mt. Diablo.

Any recommendations for other rides to check out in the lake district area?

http://www.strava.com/activities/196899354

There are a few other fun climbs/rides to do around that area:

http://www.strava.com/activities/190228460
http://www.strava.com/activities/190666307

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom