Suggestions for Cyclocross £1000-£1300

Soldato
Mudguards are uncool. There's no two ways around this. It's always been the case and it always will be.

But for commuting, unless you like a big brown stain up the back of your jacket and your bag, you want something you can fit guards to.

What grudas said, or an Pinnacle Arkose, or a Charge Plug 4 or 5.

I've just been through exactly the same process and got the Plug 5.

Soldato
I have a TCX SLR2 2014. It's a very good bike, though I'm currently without it due to a cracked frame :(

I've had a look at the 2015 offerings and I'm not really sure what else you get for your £250 going from the TCX SLR2 to TCX SLR1? Looks like it's just 15mm Thru Axle for the wheels and a different crankset? The brakes and main components are identical.

For the money the Rose that InQ posted looks pretty good, personally I'd avoid the Planet X London Road due to the brakes - the BB7s are nowhere near as easily adjustable as the Spyres.

Soldato
The Rose does look very good for the money - it's about 1.5kg lighter than the Arkose Three. I'm not sure if the brakes are actually better than the BB7s on the Arkose Three, but I would expect that the brakes on the Arkose Four would be even better as they're hydraulic. It's a shame Evans don't list the weights of their Arkose models, it'd make it a lot easier to decide between them.

InQ

InQ

Associate
Seems Rose have updated their models to 2015 and the spec now cannot be changed.....poor from Rose, one of their main plus points over other brands!

Caporegime
I've got a merida cx with shimano 105 that can take full mudguards.
700 miles later and all I've done with it apart from ride it is clean it. (actually I lie I re greased the crank shaft)

well worth the £999 it cost

Back
Top Bottom