Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well if there was proof needed it was bent - I thought it was fixed but it wasn't locked into the turbo properly and it was effectively realigning it!

I had a look on the madison site but what worries me is that I need the inner and outer plate - which would be nearly as much as what I can get a new 11spd derailleur for. Given I'm not certain that would even solve it I'm not sure what to do :( I'll try and upload some pics to show the issue

I'd change it if you are worried. I've spent ages bending things back to no avail.

11 speed would mean getting new cassette, chain and wheel at the minimum.

If you have the box mounted under the stem you could flash the parts to work together but you have to watch what firmware is on certain parts.

On another not one of the guys crashed through the back of a car window today on the ride. 40 stitches to his face :| poor guy has a bad crash every year. Broke his arm the first year he started, tore/dislocated his shoulder last time and now this.

InQ

InQ

Associate
Well if there was proof needed it was bent - I thought it was fixed but it wasn't locked into the turbo properly and it was effectively realigning it!

I had a look on the madison site but what worries me is that I need the inner and outer plate - which would be nearly as much as what I can get a new 11spd derailleur for. Given I'm not certain that would even solve it I'm not sure what to do :( I'll try and upload some pics to show the issue

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12985308

Has a rear mech for sale as part of a bundle, might split it?

Associate
Hi

Been away for a couple of weeks so not been in the saddle .

Usually do around 20 miles but went up to a local club today as they do a 40 mile 14mph ave ride. What I didn't know until just before the start was they weren't doing this run, instead doing a 58mile 18mph ave one. Hmm

Decided to tag along but they stopped twice and whilst talking they mentioned the pace wasn't quick enough. Fair enough I thought and let them know I would turn around and leave them.

So I found myself 15 miles from home which wasn't a problem until I did another 8 or so.

Seemed not to hit a wall, more like rear ended it at 50mph. Legs felt so weak, bum aching etc. so had to do the shameful call. ' Hi love, can you come out and pick me up'

Figure with 8 or so rides under my belt, doing this isn't that bad really.

http://www.strava.com/activities/197412389

Jb

Soldato
Went out for a 'long' ride today and ended up doing 11.9 miles! My furthest by quite a long shot! :D

http://www.strava.com/activities/197427417

Felt good and legs could do more... But got a long day today (off to see Lee Evans later) so shall see how my legs fare for tomorrow before I think about the next one! ;)

Was an amazing route & weather and I'll do it again soon - there was also some organised road run for most of it so lots of people around, drink stations (didn't need but it was offered!) and marshals so the traffic was well behaved! Stopped twice, once where I had planned to (half-way ish) and then the second time when a 11% slope totally destroyed me! Ouch! :)

There's a Aldi Cycling special starting on thursday and I've got my eye on the HRM & watch combo £13 (will try and pair with my S5) along with the tool kit £20 which has a chain whip, chain tool and BB tool which will be useful in future. I'll probably pick up some of their long sleeved tops to replace my current baggy tops.

Keep an eye open on your local Aldi's guys! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Went for a ride yesterday:

http://www.strava.com/activities/197123944

Didn't realise how much of a climb it would be to get out of Aberdeen. Had to stop to eat something and use my inhaler at the top. Was pretty fun other than that, although i did have a niggling knee pain towards the end that is now making it pretty hard to kneel/stand up. Also seem to have caught a cold anyway so i don't think i'll be back out for a few days.

I also discovered that i can't use my front light and cycle computer at the same time.

Associate
Just a question regarding strava.com.

I went on ther to check my latest ride and just below ride description, 7 'peoples' profile pics have appeared. What's that about pls?

Jb

Soldato
Does anyone know the biggest rear gear I can use with a standard SRAM Rival 10spd setup? Currently running 12-25 and really struggling with big hills in the lakes. Front setup is full size which doesn't help.

Man of Honour
So, based on Alan Milligan doing this route already (damn you:p), does anyone have an idea how well/badly Wiggle sportives are organised?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-super-series-wiggle-peak-district-punisher-sportive-std-2014/

I quite like the idea of doing the full route, plus riding down to Macclesfield and back of course. It will end up being quite painful but based on the ride I did this week I think I can do it.

The main concern I have is based on food and drink availability. What kind of stuff is available on these rides?

Last edited:
Associate
So, based on Alan Milligan doing this route already (damn you:p), does anyone have an idea how well/badly Wiggle sportives are organised?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-super-series-wiggle-peak-district-punisher-sportive-std-2014/

I quite like the idea of doing the full route, plus riding down to Macclesfield and back of course. It will end up being quite painful but based on the ride I did this week I think I can do it.

The main concern I have is based on food and drink availability. What kind of stuff is available on these rides?

Go for it. You have a taste for hills now and i think this will be ideal. It was a very enjoyable ride especially if the weather is like it was today with some spectacular views. This one starts in Bakewell though! Can't really complain with the organisation of the wiggle events, i did one back in May and there were plenty of food stations, support etc also lots of free goodies at the end! Bit expensive, but it's all good fun, helps add miles on the clock and to explore new territory.

Man of Honour
Cheers. This morning I'm feeling pretty ill so I'll see how I feel in a day or two :p I might try and work out what the weather is going to be like too...

Anyhow, today I send back my HyRds to get a warranty replacement. In the meantime I've fit some old BB5s to my bike. My god they are awful. It's almost like I can pull on the brake levers to accelerate :/

Caporegime
Discs in the pro peloton in about 2 years \o/. The delay is mostly political to allow Campag to get time to produce their disc range, but will hopefully mean that we start to see an awful lot more disc models coming, and at a cheaper price too.

Soldato
Discs in the pro peloton in about 2 years \o/. The delay is mostly political to allow Campag to get time to produce their disc range, but will hopefully mean that we start to see an awful lot more disc models coming, and at a cheaper price too.

about time we see disks on bikes below £1000(quality disk brakes I mean)

finally ticked over 4k miles this year!

Year-to-Date
Distance 4,039.5 mi
Time 254h 29m
Elev Gain 118,274 ft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom