Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Soldato
Does anyone know the biggest rear gear I can use with a standard SRAM Rival 10spd setup? Currently running 12-25 and really struggling with big hills in the lakes. Front setup is full size which doesn't help.

39/53? You really need to be on 34/50 or on a triple.
There is no way I or people on this forum could get up Wrynose east to west on a standard.

Soldato
My Van Nicholas Yukon is in the bike shop for a service, so I had to cycle in on the Arkose for the first time in months. It seems that the triple on the Yukon has weakened my climbing ability considerably, as I really struggled to get up Anerley Hill this morning. On the plus side, I was no slower getting in, despite the extra weight and much wider tyres. Perhaps it isn't all about the bike after all. If the weather is decent on Friday I may ride the Aquilo in just to see if it makes any difference (but mainly to show it off at work ;)).

Soldato
Went out for a 'long' ride today and ended up doing 11.9 miles! My furthest by quite a long shot! :D

http://www.strava.com/activities/197427417

Felt good and legs could do more... But got a long day today (off to see Lee Evans later) so shall see how my legs fare for tomorrow before I think about the next one! ;)

Was an amazing route & weather and I'll do it again soon - there was also some organised road run for most of it so lots of people around, drink stations (didn't need but it was offered!) and marshals so the traffic was well behaved! Stopped twice, once where I had planned to (half-way ish) and then the second time when a 11% slope totally destroyed me! Ouch! :)

There's a Aldi Cycling special starting on thursday and I've got my eye on the HRM & watch combo £13 (will try and pair with my S5) along with the tool kit £20 which has a chain whip, chain tool and BB tool which will be useful in future. I'll probably pick up some of their long sleeved tops to replace my current baggy tops.

Keep an eye open on your local Aldi's guys! :)

Superb! That's more like it. Up it to 15 miles next week if you say your legs could do more. Excellent.

I'll be trying to get some of the waterproof socks. My current waterproof socks were hand-me-downs and are a little too small.

Associate
Been away the last couple of weeks so have only ridden the Hadrons a few times, but they are seriously good. Holding fast speeds is so much easier than on the Aksium's. They also look awesome.

Hadrons.jpg

Soldato
it was a bit nippy this morning! 10c on my garmin and the first 2-3 miles were quite cold, then I warmed up and it was ok but t-shirt + shorts is not going to last long.

Y'tellin' me! 6c this morning according to my Garmin. Warmed up a bit after 10 mins but still took a while to warm up at work!

Both lights are now on but I reckon in a week I will need my main front lights, to "see".

Going to have to start bringing the winter jackets out of the cupboard now.

Soldato
Now my rear light has packed up :mad:

Smart Lunar 2, basically the switch has stopped working so I can't turn it off. I have to pop it open and take the batteries out each time. Damn cheap rubbish.

yeah, I've learned this with the rear lights.. buy cheap buy twice!

front's from ebay seem to be working fine.. had them for like 16months and it's all good!

Y'tellin' me! 6c this morning according to my Garmin. Warmed up a bit after 10 mins but still took a while to warm up at work!

Both lights are now on but I reckon in a week I will need my main front lights, to "see".

Going to have to start bringing the winter jackets out of the cupboard now.

yup! winter is coming on to us, hard and fast ;)

think I'll need full finger gloves soon..

Man of Honour
So, finally did an FTP test during an extra long lunch break today. Slightly dodgy as I had to skip the first 30 minutes warm up (though I'd semi warmed up by riding back home from work...), I ate lunch just before it and I'm still a bit tired from Saturday's century ride.

TrainerRoad has set my FTP to 338 and at my not particularly light weight that equals an FTP/KG of 3.98. So close to 4 :p

Now I know what to expect I reckon I could up that a bit if I were to do it again (and rested/etc properly). I'll leave it as it is for now though and see how things look after a few weeks of SufferFest and TR training.

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1133302-20-Minute-Test

http://www.strava.com/activities/197934885

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom