The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Associate
Mine arrived this morning :) Impressed so far. Only had a quick go on crisis 3 and general use.

Will have to upgrade my graphics cards at some point as currently only on 7702gb sli, however so far no problems.

Hoping to wait for the 8gb versions of the 970/980s or 980ti/titan IIs.

Man of Honour
On a scale of 1-10, in terms of smoothness, how would you rate say BF4 running between 30-50 FPS (which is about what you will get on multiplayer with a single 780 ti running @ 1440p)

Seems a bit low even for full ultra settings - I get around 80fps average, rarely drop below 67fps even on siege at 1920x1080 with full ultra and knocking back a couple of settings (mostly just turning off MSAA) get a solid 125fps (capped) with shadowplay capturing at 1920x1080 and ~100fps at 2560x1440 (not tried full ultra on 2560x1440). With a single 780 running clocks that would put it about 9% faster than a stock 780ti.

Associate
One thing I did notice is the bottom edge of the monitor especially the bottom left seems to get very warm to the touch, never had that on a monitor before.

Pointless observation for you :p

Soldato
One thing I did notice is the bottom edge of the monitor especially the bottom left seems to get very warm to the touch, never had that on a monitor before.

Pointless observation for you :p

I've read somewhere else of people reporting similar. For what it's worth, mine doesn't get hot at all.

Associate
I'm not really sure this test/comparison makes sense. GSYNC is a natural successor to VSYNC and if you were able to maintain 60fps with VSYNC then you would be able to maintain the same FPS with GSYNC. Where GSYNC shines over VSYNC is where you are getting drops in FPS - the experience is much smoother. GSYNC will also reduce the input lag you will be getting with VSYNC so the experience will feel snappier.

If you're going to be running a 980/780Ti then I would drop the MSAA as it doesn't make a huge difference IMO at this resolution. That way you can maintain a solid 144fps and the experience will be so much better. Getting solid 135fps (I restrict my FPS to 135) with GSYNC in battlefield is unreal.

The test makes sense if someone has a 1080p monitor, for which his rig will be able to max out all games at 60fps+ for at least 2-3 years, but knows that already there are games that he would be running sub 60fps if he were to buy a 1440p monitor.

Thus the question is, does the G-sync effect nullify the stutter/lag effect of running games at sub 60fps on a normal monitor (with V-synch enabled as tearing is unnaccetable)?

Or does 40fps on a G-sync'd monitor have the same aesthetic 'smoothness' as 60 FPS v-sync'd on a conventional monitor?

Soldato
The test makes sense if someone has a 1080p monitor, for which his rig will be able to max out all games at 60fps+ for at least 2-3 years, but knows that already there are games that he would be running sub 60fps if he were to buy a 1440p monitor.

Thus the question is, does the G-sync effect nullify the stutter/lag effect of running games at sub 60fps on a normal monitor (with V-synch enabled as tearing is unnaccetable)?

Or does 40fps on a G-sync'd monitor have the same aesthetic 'smoothness' as 60 FPS v-sync'd on a conventional monitor?

Basically yes, those dips below 60 become imperceptible, plus you remove the input lag you get from vsync, it is win win

Associate
Woohoo, my monitor arrived today :)

Went from an ips HP ZR30w to this monitor, wasn't convinced when I first switched the monitor on, colours looked washed out :(

left everything at default and set refresh at 144 and limited frames in Battlefield to 135 and OMG, it's never been so smooth, absolutely brilliant :D

Last edited:
Associate
Guys Im thinking of taking the plunge and purchasing one.

However I beleive I'll need a GPU upgrade as currently I run a 680.

Would a single 970 be enough to run most games on high using the ROG?

Also will I still be able to Dual screen with the ROG being my main screen running G-Sync and a Dell 24" screen as an extended desktop for web browsing??/

Last edited:
Soldato
All depends on what games you play at what settings. To give you an idea, my heavily clocked 780 will only run BF4 > 100fps without AA switched on.

I think if you want to run AA on this monitor in some of the more demanding games you would really need 2 970's which given their price is not that expensive (when you compare this option to the 780Ti launch price).

Associate
Depends on the games and settings. But i'd lean towards getting 2x 970's for stability and to make sure. The difference in FPS between one of these beauties and a 1080p is quite large.

Soldato
Anyone using one of these and the Oculus Rift? The only thing stopping me ordering one is that my Rift will be here soon and there seems to be major conflict between the Oculus drivers and G-sync.

Turn off gsync?
I had a DK2, but sold it because it is still rubbish, consumer version needs to be 4K because a 1080p screen 3 inches from your face looks like original wolfenstein graphics with illegible text thrown in for good measure, there is also like zero actual support for the dk2 aswell, so aside from a couple of demos there isnt much you can do with it as an end user

Last edited:
Soldato
consumer version needs to be 4K because a 1080p screen 3 inches from your face looks like original wolfenstein graphics with illegible text thrown in for good measure

haha.

This monitor has exceeded expectations, I half expected to try it and return it - gsync works very well, colours while not outstanding in comparison into a decent isp are exceptionally good. Very happy with the purchase.

Associate
Any chance on these dropping in price at all soon? I know they on this week only. 600 is my max price though, guess ill be waiting a month or so and see what happens. Rain forest has them for 620 but no stock for a month. :(

Back
Top Bottom