Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
But ... dont the pro's have figures around that? Obviously they must weigh less but if you just need to shed weight and keep the power constant you'd be sorted. If my FTP was what yours is, I'd be pushing 6w/kg!!!

Yep, pros will have an FTP similar to that.
Jens Voigt averaged 412watts during his hour record but he's heavier than the little climbers so that gives him an FTP around 5.3w/kg.
Froome and Contador, etc will have values around 6w/kg.

Soldato
The bandied around numbers here make me doubt my figures even more :p

It might be overreading a little. Maybe 10-15%.
Dont be put off by the actual numbers though. It's the same reason that guys in the weight lifting threads will talk about weight in relation to their bodyweight (they might be aiming for a 1.5*bodyweight squat, or something).

Here is a random example I found:
TrainingPeaks power data from stage9 of TdF 2012. It's a TT and just under an hour long, so a great indication of FTP.
Janez Brajkovic (page 1) is the only one i'm looking at because it seems the others are probably not trying 100%. (Brajkovic was a good GC contender and finished the tour 9th overall, so was definitely trying).

His FTP is around 358w.
I'm going to do an FTP test on wednesday and I expect to be close to that. It doesnt mean I could keep up with him though.
He's about 20kg less than me, so he's doing 5.6w/kg and i'll be lucky to get 4.5

Man of Honour
Ah, interesting figures.

Yeah. I know you're right about the bodyweight ratio stuff. I've definitely kept that in mind when squatting and the like before.

To be honest I was expecting a lot less than 4w/kg so it doesn't really take much to make me doubt it. I think rather than do a sufferfest or whatever tomorrow I'll do another FTP test (this time the full thing) with the set up suggested and see where I get. Obviously I'm going to be a bit tired so if it's just a tiny bit lower I'll probably leave it where it is. If it's substantially lower I'll temporarily go for the new figure and then re-test again in a week or so.

olv

olv

Soldato
Could someone please explain to me how the shimano freehub works on my Fulcrum 7s? I don't quite get it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freehub#mediaviewer/File:Labeled_Bicycle_Hub_Comparison-en.svg How is the drive transferred to the hub?

Trying to figure out what's gone wrong with my 4 month old wheels. It's gradually become worse but essentially now if I freewheel for a short period then the next time I attempt to pedal then my foot will fall through dead space until it finally catches up with the hub. This is particularly amusing when rolling up to traffic lights and then suddenly deciding to stand up and pedal and almost clonking yourself on the steerer, feels like when your chain snaps.

If you keep the hub engaged then it's fine. I did notice when fixing a puncture at the weekend that there is a lot of lateral play in the cassette but the locking ring is done up tight. I'd like to avoid sending it back to wiggle as it'll cost me more in travel costs if it's away for a week then it would be to replace it. But still it shouldn't be buggered after such a short period.

Soldato
This is what the inside end of your freehub looks like:
uBz6cM5.jpg
The little teeth are called 'pawls' and there is a spring which forces them outwards to catch into grooves on the inside of the hub.

Your problem sounds like either they are stuck and not springing out (dirty or seized) or, more likely - due to the cassette being wobbly, the freehub is not screwed on tight and when the pawls spring out they dont line up with the grooves inside the hub.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Potentially got a new job on the cards, but it's 24 miles away instead of the my usual 5 mile... would you cycle it?

Now I know I would, possibly on alternate and better weather days. My only real concern is being visible in the darker months.

I'm kinda forced to ride, dropping from 21 to 18k a year to get my foot in the door means I need to save money somehow. 24 miles is 1-1.5 hours riding enviroment depending so not the end of the world to keep fit and save money. I'm kinda exceted by the challenge and change. Just waiting to hear back (wanting to know how quick I may progress).

Soldato
Potentially got a new job on the cards, but it's 24 miles away instead of the my usual 5 mile... would you cycle it?

Now I know I would, possibly on alternate and better weather days. My only real concern is being visible in the darker months.

I'm kinda forced to ride, dropping from 21 to 18k a year to get my foot in the door means I need to save money somehow. 24 miles is 1-1.5 hours riding enviroment depending so not the end of the world to keep fit and save money. I'm kinda exceted by the challenge and change. Just waiting to hear back (wanting to know how quick I may progress).

depends on the roads, elevation etc.. I could do it for 5days/week but I'd only cycle nothing else.. I'd have to stop my training etc.

Soldato
Fitted my turbo tyre on the TT bike last night ready for some evening Sufferfesting.

This is the first time I've removed the rear wheel since getting the bike and it was a pain in the bum to get back on! I had to get my flatmate to help.

Is there an easy trick I'm missing when it comes to fitting the rear wheel on a bike that has horizonal dropouts and a cassette/rear mech? If I punctured out on the road I won't always have a spare pair of hands.

Caporegime

Did ~30 miles a day for years :).

InQ

InQ

Associate
I'm about 3.9ish at last count. The Road Machine is pretty accurate but needs the screw tightened about 3 full turns (and ensure your tyre is at consistent psi, I use 110 on the trainer). It's within the realms of possibility but 340w on your first ever FTP would be very very impressive.

I have the Road Machine but havent done an FTP test as yet, rear tyre at 100psi and 3 full turns from touching.
Did have an FTP of 250 on my Rock N Roll last year but was using a different bike and obviously different trainer.

I think i'd be lucky to get to 250 at the moment though! :D

I'm circa 70KG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom