Spec me a holiday in Thailand

Associate
Never been to Thailand before but I'm sure some of you have so I need your help please. :)

I'm looking to spend 14 days there in December, eating, drinking, chilling, beaching, water activities.

I'm thinking Phuket but I have no idea what else is available and I really want this sort of scenery.

Does anyone have any recommendations with location / beaches / hotels / tips?

Thanks

Associate
Just got back from 3 weeks there (and was there for a month last year too), so I can probably offer a bit of advice...

November is the height of the rainy season, so I'm not sure how the weather will fair in December. I guess it depends how far into December you're going, but I wouldn't count on sunny days. You might get them, but it's a toss up.

As for destinations... The best advice I can give is not to go to too many places. You're only there for 2 weeks, so visiting the entire country is just going to make things miserable. Pick 2 or 3 main locations and spend around 4 or 5 days in each. People will be telling you to go all over, but I would highly recommend against it.

One of my favorite areas was Chiang Mai. It doesn't have beaches, but there are just so many activities to do there. They also have amazing hotels. We stayed in Bodhi Serene (awesome location) and also Ping Nakara (very upscale and colonial-like).

If you want the whole party and no-strings sex experience then I guess Pattaya is where you want to head. Although in fairness pretty much every major town and city has a plethora of young women flaunting themselves at you.

For the whole tropical experience you essentially have 2 main choices. That would be Samui and Phangan on the East of the country and Phucket and surrounding areas on the West. I can't really suggest one or the other. I've been to both and they each offer pros and cons. You're more likely to come into contact with the type of scenery from the link you posted in Phuket though, so maybe there is best.

Bangkok is also great as a stay over destination for a day or so. The pollution and overall congestion might not be your thing though.

Either way have fun! It's a great country

Associate
Just checked out Samui on Google images and it looks amazing.

Presumably by your response, you recommend booking flights and places to stay separately?

Samui is okay, but I would say it's slightly more orientated to families. I've been there twice and it's great, but I don't know if it would fit your situation. Good thing about it though is that places like Phangan and just a short speed boat away.

Also Samui airport is pretty much my favorite in the World. So cool.

Not quite sure what you mean about booking separately... Whenever I go on holiday though I book my flight directly with the airline (for example Emirates) and then use booking.com for the hotels. Is that what you mean?

Soldato
A few days on the floating hotels on the river kwai with a few days around kanchanaburi will sort the chill out side of things, make sure to pay Bangkok a visit as well :)

Associate
Here's a pic I took of our hotel beach in Phuket:

http://i.imgur.com/QrqPSCt.jpg

And here's a couple from an excursion:

http://i.imgur.com/nYahf5z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FEZAlsU.jpg

If this is the type of thing you like maybe Phuket is best? Although be warned excursions can be extremely miserable things depending on the type of transport you take. Spending 2 hours bobbing up and down in a boat to get somewhere (where you usually barely spend 30 minutes) isn't exactly my idea of fun

Soldato
Head over East for a week, few days in koh tao to chill out and lie on beautiful and quiet beaches. Samui isn't great, beaches aren't the cleanest and it's very developed. The main street is just full of people trying to sell you crap. Though, if you do go make sure you go to the jungle club, it's stunning.
After around five days over that side, get a bus over to the west coast (after the boat) and stay in Krabi for a night. The weekend night market is awesome, and I highly recommend doing some kayaking there. Some of the most beautiful scenery around. After a night or two in Krabi get the boat to Koh phi phi and party there for a while. Good young scene, very developed but much better partying than Samui. Obligatory tour to 'The Beach' is Obligatory.

After phi phi you could go to phuket, and then up to Bangkok.

Associate
OP
Phi Phi looks great, I might need to reassess my plans. Was going to go Virgin Holidays route and sleep at the same place but sounds like I should books flights and rooms separately.

If I'm going to be travelling, should I book separate hotels in advance then or fly out and find somewhere to sleep?

Associate
After around five days over that side, get a bus over to the west coast (after the boat) and stay in Krabi for a night.

Just be aware that's an 11 hour journey (when you include the ferry). Not something I'd recommend to anyone, especially those suppose to be on a holiday.

You can take a flight from Samui to Phuket which lasts about 30 minutes instead

Associate
If I'm going to be travelling, should I book separate hotels in advance then or fly out and find somewhere to sleep?

As far as I know December is a quiet month, meaning you could probably get away with just having your flights and then booking as you visit places. That way if somewhere isn't very nice you don't have to stay there too long, you can just go somewhere else instead.

Again though I can't stress enough not traveling too much. Don't try to see the entire country in 2 weeks. It will make things miserable for you :)

Back
Top Bottom