** OSX Yosemite **

Caporegime
Running Yosemite on my retina MacBook Pro with no issues. I don't really know how I feel about the new iTunes but I don't have an issue with the design of the OS as far as the visual appearance goes. I'm still only a click away from using tools like 'dig' so it's far from iOS with windowing or a toy or whatever.

If anything the introduction of the iOS and Mac OS X integration through things like Handoff shows Apple are more than interested in keeping both around.

Soldato
Have they introduced the "photos" application yet?

I'm sick of having 40GB of photos and then a 40GB iPhoto library too.. hogging to much space! Any ideas of if the upcoming "photos" app that was showcased at the reveal will require a library file?

Soldato
Have they introduced the "photos" application yet?

I'm sick of having 40GB of photos and then a 40GB iPhoto library too.. hogging to much space! Any ideas of if the upcoming "photos" app that was showcased at the reveal will require a library file?

I imagine it will require a library file but its also going to sync across iCloud and iOS. So you won't need to keep a local copy of an image if you don't want to.

The release date for Photos isn't till 2015. So don't expect it anytime soon.

Soldato
That's right. Store all you photos on iCloud. lol

Why doesn't it just create a database instead of duplicating the images? If Lightroom is anything to go by the database would only be about 2gb for 40gbs worth of photos.

Associate
Would love to know that too, although Parallels are bombarding me with update notices , I have to pay effectively another £50 on top of the £60 i paid 14 months ago otherwise the software won't work on Yosemite, interested if vmware are doing the same thing.

Commissario
Would love to know that too, although Parallels are bombarding me with update notices , I have to pay effectively another £50 on top of the £60 i paid 14 months ago otherwise the software won't work on Yosemite, interested if vmware are doing the same thing.
Yes, I've had those update notices as well. I used the £35 upgrade price to upgrade Parallels 8 which I bought two years ago on an upgrade price. I tend to skip every other Parallels version and just buy an upgrade every couple of years.

Soldato
PB3 is a hell of a lot snappier. Safari actually works now and doesn't hang all the time.

System as a whole is MUCH better since PB1 and even PB2.

Soldato
Yes, I've had those update notices as well. I used the £35 upgrade price to upgrade Parallels 8 which I bought two years ago on an upgrade price. I tend to skip every other Parallels version and just buy an upgrade every couple of years.

Ahh.. this is exactly the reason I threw my toys out the pram with Parallels.. basically every time an OS update came out.. you pay through the nose for no real update in functionality..

Switched to virtualbox..

I am trying to update to DP8 and the download says 10 hours. Its downloading in Kb!

I have installed DP1 and gone through all the updates. Some download really really fast. Others don't.

Example,

DP2 Downloaded rapid.
DP3 Download took 18 hours
DP4 Download took 2 mins
DP5 Download took 2 mins
DP6 Download took 12 hours
DP7 Download took minutes
DP8 now says 6 hours.

Anyone understand?

Associate
Does anyone know if it will be possible to upgrade from the public beta's to the official release? I'm sure I read somewhere on appleseed that it was possible.

My testing partition has become my most used partition with Yosemite, so I'm thinking to just upgrade rather than fresh install it. I'll then image the secondary partition to the primary and then delete the secondary (unless there's an easier way of removing the primary partition?)

Soldato
Really started to be impressed with Yosemite. PB4 has improved on PB3.

What i'm really wondering though is if Yosemite and Server 4.0 solves the absolutely dire situation of SMB file sharing that Mavericks was/is plagued with. I've read that they're upgrading to SMB3 in 10.10 so i'm a little wary.

Biggest mistake I've made as work was upgrading everyone to Mavericks...biggest headache ever with timing out server connection, losing connections, duplicate connections, slow connection, weird open directory errors, external storage not working correctly...

Back
Top Bottom