Iron damaged table...

rpg

rpg

Associate
So I decided to destroy my kitchen table last night with an iron...

C7352E60-04FD-492B-9EA7-D0AFFDF9DEF6_zpsvjhaftdz.jpg

Is there any tips or ways I can improve the appearance or repair the above?

Excluding a table cloth of course!

rpg

rpg

Associate
OP
solid wood or laminated surface?

If its solid wood, belt sand the top down and revarnish.

I think that's my problem - it seems to have a laminated/lacquered finish.

Am I likely to make it worse in that case if I go with a light sand and varnish afterwards?

Soldato
Don't belt sand it unless you want to **** the surface up - belt sanding is too aggressive for that, it's more for turning rough bumpy surfaces flat and shaping wood.

Give it a good rub down with some 120 grit or an orbital sander with some 120 and then lacquer it. I prefer nitrocellulose lacquers but that's just me.

Soldato
Don't belt sand it unless you want to mess the surface up - belt sanding is too aggressive for that, it's more for turning rough bumpy surfaces flat and shaping wood.

Give it a good rub down with some 120 grit or an orbital sander with some 120 and then lacquer it. I prefer nitrocellulose lacquers but that's just me.

You get 120 grit paper for belt sanders too.. ideal for flat surfaces and removing paint, varnish or stain.

while an orbital sander is great for finishing wood, its a pain to use them for a quick job to get though paint or varnish. If its real wood then that mark could be a little into the table and would need a bit taking off to remove it.

If its a laminate, you might have to remove and reapply, or sand it and paint it maybe? Not my area of expertise :)

Soldato
If its solid wood then a belt sander and some finer grit paper is fine, but still have to be very careful and keep the sander moving all the time. If it is veneered then a belt sander is a very bad idea, too easy to completely go through the veneer at the edges and then the table is ruined.

If it is veneered then a cabinet scraper and a lot of patience to remove the finish, then 180-240g sandpaper to finish is what I would use. If it's chipboard with a photo of wood glued on top then it's new table time :eek:.

rpg

rpg

Associate
OP
Thanks to all for the suggestions - but I don't think the other half would appreciate me causing more damage... :p

SDC11568_zpsc0517793.jpg

@Mark A, maybe the table isn't veneered at all! Looking at this chip on the side, it does in fact look like chipboard with an imitation surface on top? Am I best just leaving it alone?

Soldato
2 options:

Paint it, sand paint down and add a nice smooth clear coat to finish.

Go mental and buy a massive sheet of coloured perspex and glue it to the top of the table

Back
Top Bottom