• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
One review of the Inno3D 970 claims it doesn't hit 60C, yet the other says it almost hits 80C. Not sure why there's such a big difference.
Tempted to just wait for the proper reference models.

Associate
Well I enquired about sending my Galax cards back and swapping for Inno3D but have been told that I will be liable for up to 25% of the as items have been taken out of the packaging (as per new laws). Unable to be more specific until they would have the cards back. :(

Let me know how your returns go...

From BBC Watchdog site:

In total, six of the top twenty companies made these demands about the way you have to return a product, in order to get a refund even though the guidance and therefore the regulations say otherwise.

Ingrid Gubbay Consumer Lawyer says, “You’d think that retailers, particularly big high street retailers would have this now in place. But it seems to me there’s a lot of work still to be done. It suggests a general lack of awareness and they need to smarten up their act,. There’s absolutely no reason why they should not be compliant.”

AFAIK, You have the right to inspect the goods - which obviously includes taking them out of the packaging. As long as they are retuned in "as new" condition and with the original packaging, you should get a full refund minus postage.

What "new laws" are you referring to? Maybe I'm out-of-date on the DSR regs? Would be nice to know. Thanks.

Soldato
AFAIK, You have the right to inspect the goods - which obviously includes taking them out of the packaging. As long as they are retuned in "as new" condition and with the original packaging, you should get a full refund minus postage.

What "new laws" are you referring to? Maybe I'm out-of-date on the DSR regs? Would be nice to know. Thanks.

DSR was was apparently replaced in June this year by the Consumer Contracts Regulations:

'Your right to a refund You should get a refund within 14 days of either the trader getting the goods back, or you providing evidence of having returned the goods (for example, a proof of postage receipt from the post office), whichever is the sooner.

A deduction can be made if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling the goods more than was necessary.

The extent to which a customer can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop.
'

Associate
A product with a broken seal that has been used cannot be returned to as new condition though can it?

Do you have a shrink wrap machine or can you reseal the box and anti static bag seal to as new wjen you've just torn it?

Yes, it can. You have the right to "inspect the goods", which includes breaking any seals; the seller cannot claim otherwise.

If you've damaged the packaging, then that's a grey area. But shrink-wrap, security seals, blister-packs, etc., etc. cannot be used as an excuse for not giving a full refund - as you had to get past them to inspect the goods..

EDIT (from new Consumer Contracts Regulations):

14. You have a right to deduct monies from refunds where goods show signs
of unreasonable use leading to diminished value. You cannot usually deduct
for removal of packaging to inspect the item, but you can deduct for damage
or wear and tear where the item has not just been checked but used.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix Overclocked:-

Not bad considering the CPU is not overclocked...

00003.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Not bad for "mid range" cards eh.

Enjoy!

Glad to see Nvidia customer's finally getting the 290 price and performance with the launch of these new mid range maxwell's. I wonder how long it will be before Amd's high end 390's arrive with 30-50% increase on the performance of the 970 and Nvidia drop their high end Maxwell prices in line with Amd's launch prices?

Soldato
I have been having a play with the 970 gaming tonight and I must say I'm quite impressed. in game at 1440p I don't see any difference from my 290 or 780 which is what I expected as all these cards are more than capable on current games.

I dont think anyone could deny that an Nvidia's software suite and drivers is leagues ahead of AMD's it feels nice to use.

So far it's a great card and a bargain for the price anyone looking to upgrade from 680/280 levels is going to be very happy with a 970.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm seriously considering swapping out my Tri-X 290 for one of these. Nvidia just seems more stable and a lot of the games I play are optimized for them. Is it worth it? I'd add another in SLI later down the line.

Soldato
I'm seriously considering swapping out my Tri-X 290 for one of these. Nvidia just seems more stable and a lot of the games I play are optimized for them. Is it worth it? I'd add another in SLI later down the line.

I cannot tell any difference in game at 1440p between the 290 and 970 or even the 980. Games just do not push these cards at 1440p and below.

I would await the next set of cards the 290 is still a good card and will serve you well. You would be spending money and loosing money for negliable gains in game.

Back
Top Bottom