Assistance - Calling all Samsung EVO owners

Associate
Still not the same as secure erasing or formatting, then replacing the data.

Whatever.

Let's hope that Samsung come up with a decent fix, otherwise they, and their customers have a problem.

They'll certainly lose my custom. I trusted that they were selling a good product.

Associate
It's exactly the same in that it rewrites the data, and that's all that's needed to restore performance. A secure erase resets all cells, including free ones so it's more thorough but it's not necessary to restore performance, as we've seen, because all that is needed is to rewrite the data.

I'm confident samsung will provide a decent fix, but you never really know.

Last edited:
Associate
You obviously didn't used a defragger that rerewrites all the data which is why you thought it's not the same.

As I said you need a defragger that does rewrite all the data, as detailed in my linked post.

Soldato
Associate
apparently you can set mydefragger to do the very same thing as secure erase then restore. with probably slightly less time as defragger will move the flash memory with files locked in as opposed to wipe the entire drive.

That sounds like it could be useful, if Samsung don't come up with a fix.

Can you explain how this is done, or where you found this info ?

Soldato
That sounds like it could be useful, if Samsung don't come up with a fix.

Can you explain how this is done, or where you found this info ?

I have not used the defragger but have a quick read here...

it lets you choose the file that you defrag based on age and all sorts

http://www.mydefrag.com/Scripts-FileBoolean.html

maybe script it to run once a month...if samsung isn't able to eradicate the problem

Last edited:
Associate
I`ve had a quick look.

It seems as though you can use scripts to control how the defrag process works.

Is there a way to force files that were created over a month ago to be moved, even if they are not fragmented ?

Soldato
i think so. there is a command to move all files to the back of the drive. so that will shift everything of certain age to the back of the drive regardless of fragmentation.

Associate
pc-guy gets it, a normal defrager will just rewrite the files which are fragmented, but MyDefrager has an option which will move every file regardless of whether it is fragmented or not. The end result is all files are rewriten so performance is restored.

Using a defrager with that important feature acheives the same as a reimage, becasue at the end of it all files are rewriten and so performance is restored.

Associate
pc-guy gets it, a normal defrager will just rewrite the files which are fragmented, but MyDefrager has an option which will move every file regardless of whether it is fragmented or not. The end result is all files are rewriten so performance is restored.

Using a defrager with that important feature acheives the same as a reimage, becasue at the end of it all files are rewriten and so performance is restored.

Your theory is good, but your earlier example didn't seem to achieve the same results as a reimage.

Underboss
Here's mine :

Samsung EVO SSD 120Gb
SATA 2

SamsungEVO840120GbSSD_zps9b3462f6.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't bother trying to fix it, unless you are experiencing poor performance.

The firmware update will hopefully be available in a couple of weeks.

Associate
Your theory is good, but your earlier example didn't seem to achieve the same results as a reimage.

Before i sent my drive back and got a full refund, i did do the same thing, using "MyDefrag" and it temporarily fixed the drive, with speeds back to around 480MB/sec.

I probably wouldnt recommend doing it a lot, but i was seeing speeds of less than 20MB/sec on older files (windows OS and databases i moved to the drive), so i had little to lose.

Associate
Before i sent my drive back and got a full refund, i did do the same thing, using "MyDefrag" and it temporarily fixed the drive, with speeds back to around 480MB/sec.

I probably wouldnt recommend doing it a lot, but i was seeing speeds of less than 20MB/sec on older files (windows OS and databases i moved to the drive), so i had little to lose.

Whichever fix you use, it's only temporary.

All being well, the forthcoming firmware update will provide a permanent cure. I'm sure that Samsung will be putting every effort into this update, otherwise they could well be getting a few more returns.

TBH, I was a dissapointed when I first read about this problem, as I thought that the Evo range of SSDs were one of the best value for money SSDs available. Then I was pleased to discover that the problem could be fixed (albeit temporarily). I fixed my Evo, in the hope that the performance of my PC would improve (maybe I hadn't noticed the drop in performance, and it would suddenly speed up). Strangely it didn't seem to. Maybe the boot time dropped by a second, and just maybe I noticed that apps now open a bit faster. I can't say that I know for sure. I'll be hanging on to my Evo to see what Samsung come up with. I see no reason to send it back at the moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom