So windows 9?

Man of Honour
Nope, the leaked build has a tick box to enable the Start Screen instead of the Start Menu (or vice versa). Either way it should keep both camps happy.

Not really sure why the need to make it seperate, just have the start menu customisable so it can scale from the simplest of menus all the way upto a fullscreen start screen depending on the user's preferences/customisation and have options for DPI scaling so that for instance on a low res or tablet your start menu could be fullscreen but say you then docked the tablet for a full desktop experience it would be rendered at normal size as a start menu and so on.

Soldato
Nope, the leaked build has a tick box to enable the Start Screen instead of the Start Menu (or vice versa). Either way it should keep both camps happy.

Ha. This is exactly what I predicted over a year ago.

People think they couldn't implement a little tick box for Windows 8?

The fact is they easily could have, but if they did, 99% of people would simply disable it, and then their plan to exploit Windows users to spearhead their crap apps into people's faces and the market share wouldn't have existed.

I'm not saying Metro is complete and utter crap, it's just that there's a time and place for faffing around with crapps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Support for multiple desktops will be hugely welcome in business/enterprise. The continuing furore, here and well everywhere, over the Start Menu is hilarious. Microsoft must be incredibly bemused by it all.

Also Win8.1 was a free upgrade, so whoever said releasing a Windows release for free was without precedent is wrong. Windows 9 will almost certainly be free for consumers that already have Win8.x; that should be obvious. It would be a surprise to me if it wasn't.

I see Paul Thurrott made a nice fool of himself, again, when he claimed the screenshots were fake, even going as far as claiming to have verified this with a Microsoft "contact". Tip: Get better contacts Paul.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also Win8.1 was a free upgrade, so whoever said releasing a Windows release for free was without precedent is wrong. Windows 9 will almost certainly be free for consumers that already have Win8.x; that should be obvious. It would be a surprise to me if it wasn't.

Windows 8.1 was more of a service pack then a full upgrade so I don't think it necessarily sets a precedence. This is not to say Windows 9 definitely won't be free, I just wouldn't use 8.1 as the rule.

I really hope there is a way of stopping the update to Windows 9 however if it does show up as a Windows update. New versions of Windows do tend to break things (though this has got better in recent versions, mainly due to still basically running the same - albeit tweaked - kernel as Windows Vista) and this could potentially cause huge headaches to IT support with Windows 8 already fully distributed in their companies.

Soldato
I really hope there is a way of stopping the update to Windows 9 however if it does show up as a Windows update. New versions of Windows do tend to break things (though this has got better in recent versions, mainly due to still basically running the same - albeit tweaked - kernel as Windows Vista) and this could potentially cause huge headaches to IT support with Windows 8 already fully distributed in their companies.

For the small amount of companies who have adapted Windows 8, I guess MS wouldn't worry too much about that.

Associate
I think for those already on 8 MS could get away with a small charge for the upgrade and a lot would take it. I wouldn't take it as a given it'll be free but they've certainly got the motivation to move people off the old 7 platform.

Soldato
If it's free as a one-off to adopt users not convinced by Windows 8, then that's fine, but I'd worry if it's free long-term, as it means they'll be making money in other ways - adverts?

It's only a matter of time before Windows becomes subscription based for consumers.

Back
Top Bottom