I have't been on a "contract" in a while...do carriers still delay OS updates?

Associate
I'm in a sticky situation.
I owned the Nexus 4, then Nexus 5, contract free on sim only rolling monthly. It was perfect. Then I lost my N5 a few weeks ago.
Why was this the perfect world?

1. No bloatware apps from carriers (3, EE, Voda, O2, etc)
  2. I got Android OS updates Immediately!

Now I was ready to throw my money at a Nexus 6, but latest rumours have killed any hopes of that and it looks I'll have to ditch Google for this generation of phone :'(
Because of this, I'd have to blow 500 freaking pounds on a flagship device if I want to continue on my sim only way. (Nexus really does win in price).

So if I return to a 24 month contract with say.....Three....and an Xperia Z3......will the carrier delay OS updates, such as Android L? Or does it more come down to Sony?

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, they will 'delay' the process of updates - because when the update is completed by Google then Sony will have to do their updates. Finally Three will have to start their process of certification before rolling out an update.

Alternatively you could choose to get a Z3 sim-free?

Soldato
Depends where you buy the contract from. Buying the contract from the carrier directly usually means the software on the phone has been modified by the carrier, so it will be up to that network to roll out the update.

Where as places like Carphone Warehouse usually gets the phone unbranded/unlocked so it will be up to the manufacturer to release the update instead (in the Z3's case, Sony).

Associate
OP
Yes, they will 'delay' the process of updates - because when the update is completed by Google then Sony will have to do their updates. Finally Three will have to start their process of certification before rolling out an update.

Alternatively you could choose to get a Z3 sim-free?
I would love to get a Z3 sim-free, but you may have missed the point in my post :) I don't have 500quid to drop on a simfree flagship phone, which is why I'm back to considering a contract

Associate
OP
Depends where you buy the contract from. Buying the contract from the carrier directly usually means the software on the phone has been modified by the carrier, so it will be up to that network to roll out the update.

Where as places like Carphone Warehouse usually gets the phone unbranded/unlocked so it will be up to the manufacturer to release the update instead (in the Z3's case, Sony).

ah ok, that's a good point to consider, forgot about that..

Back
Top Bottom