• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
...and as regards the running temp Precision X shows that 79 degs is the actual target temp along with 100% power target. Although it might seem crazy when benchmarking but if you have a smaller PC you might want to actually drop the power or temp targets - you prob wont notice the reduced boost clocks but the lower power draw is handy.

If you don't have enough cooling you will notice the 970 throttling as it gets near the limits - e.g. in Furmark. I actually calibrate the fan curve to give it just enough cooling so that it doesn't start to throttle at that max running temp.

Caporegime
...and as regards the running temp Precision X shows that 79 degs is the actual target temp along with 100% power target. Although it might seem crazy when benchmarking but if you have a smaller PC you might want to actually drop the power or temp targets - you prob wont notice the reduced boost clocks but the lower power draw is handy.

If you don't have enough cooling you will notice the 970 throttling as it gets near the limits - e.g. in Furmark. I actually calibrate the fan curve to give it just enough cooling so that it doesn't start to throttle at that max running temp.

Just played the opening act of Borderlands 2.

Custom fan curve, maxing out at 72ºC at 91% fan speed, boost of 1291/3506.

Admittedly, smooth as silk at 1440p with FXAA, but weird that it is noisier than my 290X was.

Associate
I would have thought you should be able to keep the fan curve below 80% at mid 70's degrees. If you nudge down the temp target to match the max volume you're happy with then that should put a cap during the more demanding games - not good for benchmarking but good for living with!

Caporegime
I would have thought you should be able to keep the fan curve below 80% at mid 70's degrees. If you nudge down the temp target to match the max volume you're happy with then that should put a cap during the more demanding games - not good for benchmarking but good for living with!

Are those the power and temp limit settings in Afterburner? Haven't used a green card in many years, lol

Associate
AFAIK there are only green GPUs and blue CPUs
I found those sliders in Precision X - if you have a full sized rig with lots of fans and PSU then prob no point in adjusting downwards - to get the highest boost clock you seem to need to increase the power limit if possible.

Permabanned
Owners of the cheaper Palit 970 - what's it like in comparison to the other 970s?

I want a cool running quiet 970 to replace my 780 ti. I may even get 2x 970s..

I got it today, cooler is cheap as heck but it's not that noisy to be honest, it's just lacking a decent power target as it only allows an increase of 6% where as other cards allow for double or even triple that.

Mine sits between 1450-1520Mhz depending on the game.

Associate
Few questions:
1. My AB 4.0.0.4604 doesn't have option for displaying in OSD. Is there a specific version that has this? I'd like to see actual in-game.
2. Is boost shown accurately in GPU-z sensors, or do you read it somewhere else?
3. Do you leave your OC settings 24/7, or only when gaming?
4. Read that @Gibbo said that temps reach 80s with stock fan curve. How do I setup a better fan curve? :) thanks.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Mine was hitting 76 on 3dmark on stock clocks . should I be worried ?

Sorry mate but yes, I was hitting 68-69 overclocked on 3dmark with my Asus, I changed the cooling in my system I am now at 64 overclocked on 3dmark.

These cards need a small airflow over them IMHO, maybe run your fans at 30% at idle.

Have you checked that all fans are working?

Last edited:
Associate
Bought the MSI 970 yesterday. Hoping they come back in stock today. Very excited!

Been with AMD for the last few builds, looking forward to coming back to the green side with all of the features nVidia has over AMD.

Soldato
gibbo said that pretty much all the GTX 970's will hit 80c on defualt fan curves

I must be the exception to the rule then.

BF4 gaming and it never goes above 70 degrees. Ever. That's boosting around 1540 and memory at 8000 with max power limit and voltages.

Combined with the new BF4 patch I was running High settings at 2560x1080 last night and the fps averaged 120. So so happy with this MSI

Last edited:
Soldato
2mqq3hw.jpg

Best I can do so far. Think it needs more volts and a higher power limit. Photo taken on my phone as trying to alt tab into Paint to save a screen shot gives me a black screen for some reason

Really need to get the EK waterblock & back plate when it comes out. My 4690 is at 4.7GHz and maxes at 40 degrees so plenty of extra cooling power for the GPU in the loop.

Soldato
Tried my Zotac gaming edition last night.

Had a bit of a scare installing it as it wouldn't boot the second time I put it in after tidying my cables but seems fine now.

Did a quick arma 3 run and I'm amazed by it although my recent gaming has been on the HD4600 and it went from chugging on 30 fps on low to 60fps on ultra with 8xmsaa!

I think I can live with a bit of fan noise for a 5 year warranty although I can't hear it over my other fans yet as I've not undervolted them.

Soldato
Arrrgh! Really want to pick up the MSI but can't justify it...

Got 4x ebay auctions of various things coming to an end this evening though so fingers crossed I'll make enough out of those

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Great news, our 700pc of MSI 970 have landed in East Midlands airport and even better news have being released by customs and are already at the UPS Stoke depo. :D

Hopefully they will land with us and be booked into stock before lunch time.

We've got 450pc spare, GET ORDERING!!! :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom