'Appy toys

Associate
If hive is anything like tado it works based on your proximity to the house, so you setup a timer and temperature like you would with any heating system.

However if your not at home it won't enable the heating, tado also works out if your on the way back home and starts pre-heating.

Soldato
what size does this smart water bottle come in? i keep a 5l bottle next to my bed [one of those clear plastic "dumb" jobbies from lidl] but its annoying when i go to take a drink and it turns out its empty, would be cool if my phone sent me a text when i drink the last of the water from it reminding me to fill it up again. would make my life so much easier.

kinda wish my fridge would tell me when my bacon is getting out of date so i know when to eat it.

Soldato
Do Hive and Nest type products offer a per-room thermostatic radiator type thingy?

i.e. Can i get a new central heating system installed and control each room from my tablet or phone like so?:

Kitchen | 18c | 6am - 9am, 5pm - 9pm
Hall | 16c | All day
Lounge | 22c | 6am -9am, 4pm - 10pm
Master Bedroom | 20c | 6am - 8am, 9am - 11pm
Spare room | 14c | All day

Associate
Do Hive and Nest type products offer a per-room thermostatic radiator type thingy?

i.e. Can i get a new central heating system installed and control each room from my tablet or phone like so?:

Kitchen | 18c | 6am - 9am, 5pm - 9pm
Hall | 16c | All day
Lounge | 22c | 6am -9am, 4pm - 10pm
Master Bedroom | 20c | 6am - 8am, 9am - 11pm
Spare room | 14c | All day

Well I suppose you could put TRVs on the all radiators and adjust accordingly.

Caporegime
I don't even use my heating until I can see my breath in my house, I like it cold.

I'm still using my air con at night!

I'll be like this...

As it is I have the radiator off and a fan on in front of an open window all the time in my room... Walking into it is like being hit in the face by a wall of blissful cold.

Its good for the folding rigs dontcha know. :D

But seriously though, I would assume that the app you speak of would be used to override the heating and turn it off if you aren't in. Or perhaps to pre-heat the house when you come back from a trip! :)

Soldato
22c in the lounge? You have a vagina don't you?

Ha! :D No, i just prefer to be warm and where lounging around shorts and t-shirt. I probably wouldn't have it at 22c, probably 20c, twas just an example.

You must really love your visitors :p

When not in use. It was an example :p

Well I suppose you could put TRVs on the all radiators and adjust accordingly.

So, that's a no then?
The idea is, that you load up an "app" on a tablet or phone and dial a thermostat per room on timers, making it fully customisable from a device. At the moment it just seems a bit half-baked. If i was going to upgrade my central heating to something new and flashy, i want that sort of customisation.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a smart toilet, it keeps track of my bowel movements and automatically posts the more interesting ones to a selection of social networks.

It uses a combination of water displacement and sonic sensors to determine stool consistency.

At the end of every month I get charts summarising my excrement with recommendations, achievements and warnings depending on how well I had performed.

There is a global tracking system where you can compete against people from all over the world but the I don't bother as I think the fees they charge are taking the ****.

22c in the lounge? You have a vagina don't you?

Ahh, my female colleagues are only happy when the office reads 27C, while I am sweating buckets. We however got a new girl who started with us a couple of weeks ago. She's on the desk next to me and thankfully, she's happy for me to have my window open which brings the office back down to 21C.

Whole house at 18 here!

Yeah similar here, when I'm awake.

I don't even use my heating until I can see my breath in my house, I like it cold.

I'm still using my air con at night!

... and this when I'm asleep.

I have a smart toilet, it keeps track of my bowel movements and automatically posts the more interesting ones to a selection of social networks.

Does the toilet tell you if it's a chocolate sausage, a fudge dragon or a mud monkey? Also, does it sometimes advise you to squeeze a cheeky one through the letterbox? :p

Caporegime
Well the main idea of it is not to turn your heating on when your at the pub, but to keep it off despite what the timer may be set to.

Hence making you savings.

The TV advert does say things like "turn your hot water on" and "adjust your heating" while showing an animation of you turning it up.

I'm with others, the whole Hive idea and how its been marketed is utterly retarded.

Caporegime
I'm going to make an app which lets people control their hands from their phone.

"Push 3 to tell your hand to push 3." Hey look, it worked!

Now how much should I sell this for?

Back
Top Bottom