Setting up iMac as remote sever with iTunes access

Soldato
I work on an iMac (with solid state hard disk) at home and would like to access files from work over the internet and would ideally show up as a server. Is this possible via afp? I would also like to access my iTunes if possible. I am on Mavericks. My work computer is also an iMac. Any advice how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Associate
You can get the Server app from the App Store. This turns on a lot of the remote functions, however you are going to need to open ports up on your router to allow access from the Internet.

You also need to consider your home connection may have a dynamic IP, meaning it may change from time-to-time. You can setup things like Dynamic DNS which means you'd be able to access your Mac with a URL rather than a changing IP address.

It's relatively easy but also a security risk so I would advise reading up on this first!

If it's just iTunes and files, surely DropBox and iTunes Match are much more viable options?

Soldato
OP
Thank you for the reply. Server app sounds good. Would rather avoid going into router settings if possible as could be tricky to change them as I don't have access at present.

Dropbox and iTunes are not options as I have a large number of files and would not like to duplicate them.

You can get the Server app from the App Store. This turns on a lot of the remote functions, however you are going to need to open ports up on your router to allow access from the Internet.

You also need to consider your home connection may have a dynamic IP, meaning it may change from time-to-time. You can setup things like Dynamic DNS which means you'd be able to access your Mac with a URL rather than a changing IP address.

It's relatively easy but also a security risk so I would advise reading up on this first!

If it's just iTunes and files, surely DropBox and iTunes Match are much more viable options?

Soldato
I wouldn't buy Server.app, all the sharing functionality you'll likely need is available in the Sharing pane in System Preferences. The main reason for Server.app (as with anything similar to it) is to have a nice GUI for more advanced features (or for basic services you wouldn't enable on a PC, but you would on a server, such as DHCP).

iTunes Home Sharing won't be an option here, as Bonjour won't work over a VPN. So you've got a choice of using traditional file sharing protocols (on other ports), or server software like Plex.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't buy Server.app, all the sharing functionality you'll likely need is available in the Sharing pane in System Preferences. The main reason for Server.app (as with anything similar to it) is to have a nice GUI for more advanced features (or for basic services you wouldn't enable on a PC, but you would on a server, such as DHCP).

iTunes Home Sharing won't be an option here, as Bonjour won't work over a VPN. So you've got a choice of using traditional file sharing protocols (on other ports), or server software like Plex.
Thank you for the reply. What settings do I need to change in the Sharing pane? I have not done this before so any basic instructions or links would really help. I could live without iTunes so happy to leave that out for the time being.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom