A few questions.. (Body, Lenses, Flashes)

Soldato
I currently have a 600D, with a 580EX, and a 50mm 1.8

Now im looking for a second flash and Yongnuo has been recommended? Which would i get?

Also looking at upgrading my body AND lends to a 70D & a 50mm 1.4 USM lens? A good upgrade?

Just want some thoughts really..

Soldato
600D to 70D, and 1.8 to 1.4 aren't worthwhile upgrades.

Have a look at the 6D. It's more (currently £1079 on digital rev), but worth saving for and you get full frame.

The 1.8 lens is a great lens and so you'd probably be better off buying a lens of a different focal length to support it.

Soldato
OP
600D to 70D, and 1.8 to 1.4 aren't worthwhile upgrades.

Have a look at the 6D. It's more (currently £1079 on digital rev), but worth saving for and you get full frame.

The 1.8 lens is a great lens and so you'd probably be better off buying a lens of a different focal length to support it.

i use the 50mm for product photography what other lenses would you recommend?

Caporegime
I'm going 60D to 70d this year probably

But ddefinately better to get a different lens Imo. Particularly as you have a prime

Soldato
If you're doing product photography then that's even more reason to go full frame (6D) for better detail and shallower dof.

Lens wise, you should have a look at some macro lenses. I'd recommend for your budget (similar to the 1.4) to look at:

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Tamron AF SP 90mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Macro
Sigma AF 70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro

or the Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM as a sharp telephoto prime.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you're doing product photography then that's even more reason to go full frame (6D) for better detail and shallower dof.

Lens wise, you should have a look at some macro lenses. I'd recommend for your budget (similar to the 1.4) to look at:

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Tamron AF SP 90mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Macro
Sigma AF 70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro

or the Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM as a sharp telephoto prime.

Product photography you want a deep DoF not a shallow, you are going to be stopping the lens down to at least f/16 to maintain everything in focus. For some. Thing you will even need to focus stack multiple images.

A macro lens is a good shout but a lot depends on the product itself. Small things like watches or jewelry then a longish telephoto macro will work well but for larger items a 35mm or 50mm macro would be better.

However I agree that a 600D to 70D isn't worth it For this type of photography. 6D probably would be more worthwhile.similar for the lenses. since the lens will be stopped right down for product photography then there is no difference between the 1.8 and 1.4 fifties.

Soldato
Product photography you want a deep DoF not a shallow, you are going to be stopping the lens down to at least f/16 to maintain everything in focus. For some. Thing you will even need to focus stack multiple images.

With product photography you want to be able to highlight/focus on certain aspects/functions/features of a product whilst throwing the rest out of focus. This is easier to do at higher apertures on a full frame camera. I also would recommend to be weary of shooting at f16 for it as most lenses lose sharpness significantly once the aperture is this closed, but obviously it depends on the product/s you are shooting and the desired effect.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I take it you have a nice tripod etc?

Yes i have a nice tripod and head :)

this is some product photography done a while back - not perfect but still learning
** No hotlinked images **
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0165/3920/products/blackstaytrue_2048x2048.png?v=1407418260

this was more recent...

Details.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
With product photography you want to be able to highlight/focus on certain aspects/functions/features of a product whilst throwing the rest out of focus. This is easier to do at higher apertures on a full frame camera. I also would recommend to be weary of shooting at f16 for it as most lenses lose sharpness significantly once the aperture is this closed, but obviously it depends on the product/s you are shooting and the desired effect.

The purpose of product photography is to show the product clearly in focus, not a wafer thin slice. At the close up distance typically shot this is difficult without stopping down significantly. I've done a lot of price photography and sell a lot of product stock, f/1 to f/16 was the norm for most.

Yeah, f/16 is not brilliant with diffraction but the alternatives are:
1) Use a PC/TS lens to control the focal plane so you can maximize the DoF.
2) focus stack a many images where you manually adjust the focus using a macro focus head. Compose in something like enfusion.

The former is expensive and the latter is time consuming. There is a 3rd option used in industry a lot:

3) use CG and have the whole thing a graphic from a good rendering package.

Typically uses for product photography are in brochures and websites so the ultimate resolution is not such a big deal and f/16 can work out fine on a budget.

The TS lenses are the common solution because they are quicker than stacking and double up as macro lenses anyway.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The photo of the shaver isn't shallow DoF, you have the whole thing in focus which is typical of product photography. The shallow DoF stuff emphasizing brand names or details etc. is more marketing material and advertising, product photography is getting the whole thing in focus so when it is displayed on a website for example you can zoom in and scroll all around the product in detail. This is just semantics though, if you want a shallow DoF look for some marketing purpose then by all means open up the lens (although note the f/1.8 on a crop body will give an identical DoF to the f/2.8 lenses you suggested on a FF body)

This is typical product photography:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/popup_image.php?prodid=FS-020-OG
Note how the entire computer is in focus.

Even ken Rockwell, who as we all know can never, ever be wrong ;) says to use f/22 to f/32
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/product-photography.htm

Caporegime
35mm might be too wide for FF with products like you have showed.
Your 50mm on canon crop is equialent to 80mm on FF, so a Canon 85mm f/1.8 might make more sense. Or just keep your 50mm and see what you need.

The thing is you haven't said why you want to upgrade. What is the limitation of your current setup? What would ou like improved?

Product photography is very easy on cameras - you don't need good auto focus, you don't need good High ISO or DR, you dont need a rugged waterproof setup, you dont need built in vgrip, you don't need high speed.

I don't think you will see much difference in your output with a different camera. Sure the 6D images will have more detail when printed very large but that is rarely done 9except for billboards and the like).

If there is no compelling reason to change bodies I would stick with what you have and look at lenses. If you find the 50mm too long or too short then you can help whittle down the options. If you think the 50mm is just right then I wouldn't even both changing lenses.

I can't really help with flashes and i tend not to use them for product photography,. i have 3-4 500W lamps I diffuse through home made light boxes.

Soldato
The photo of the shaver isn't shallow DoF, you have the whole thing in focus which is typical of product photography.

Scroll right. It's a 2 part photo. To say that none of that is product photography is just silly. It's all product photography.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom