Secret finance woes!

Associate
It wasn't even that, it was the fact that as I say they're a very well known company, you wouldn't expect them to have a vehicle on finance especially when their job is to actually sell the things!

It's for tax reasons. It is expenditure (liability) as opposed to a capital assett (taxable) - probably just a breakdown in internal communications.

Soldato
I wonder who their auditors are. Paying finance on something they no longer have in their possession is something that should have been picked up. Even if it wasn't practical to see the car itself the V5 ought to have been verified.

This probably wasn't malicious, just inept.

Auditors don't check everything, far from it and if its below the materiality level they wont care (which this will be).

HMRC would care but again its probably below their materiality level for a company this size.

Associate
Progress! Finally.

After receiving no call backs or emails from the company I went in to their nearest branch today........................5 to 10 days and it'll be sorted and a letter should be getting sent to confirm. So in 5 to 10 days I can report back!

Make a note of with whom, time and date these discussions took place and keep them safe.

Strongly recommend you put every issue like this in life in writing - always back everything up in writing.

Further to our brief discussion today (date) I understand there was a 'thing' that will be sorted within 5 to 10 days, I would be grateful if you could update me by calling xxxxxxxxxx and provide a copy of the settlement in the SAE enclosed......

Where do I send my bill?

Caporegime
OP
I've been keeping notes on the whole thing. Dates and times of calls etc. The guy I spoke to yesterday pointed out he was unsure how their accounts department hadn't picked up on it and had asked them to investigate too.

Associate
Good for you. I hope it works out asap.

My understanding is that the car doesn't belong to you - presumably that effects your insurance etc

As your attorney I advise you to document it in writing via letters to these amateurs so you are in a much stronger position with a formal narrative (your letters) if it turns out you are the victim of sharp practice and you need a legal remedy.

:p

Soldato
Problem here is that said UK vehicle company should have known better and technically if the authorities were to pay a call get a massive fine and/or adverse publicity. Give them a call, explain politely that you wish to sell the car and they will need to pay the existing finance off. If you get nowhere then you will have to bargain with them, but be careful as you may not have a car left if it's repo'd. Bear in mind I'm sure that in court you'd win and they'd be left looking very stupid and open to investigation, something they will be keen to avoid

There's that bear again! Growlllll! He gets about a bit

Soldato
Problem here is that said UK vehicle company should have known better and technically if the authorities were to pay a call get a massive fine and/or adverse publicity. Give them a call, explain politely that you wish to sell the car and they will need to pay the existing finance off. If you get nowhere then you will have to bargain with them, but be careful as you may not have a car left if it's repo'd. Bear in mind I'm sure that in court you'd win and they'd be left looking very stupid and open to investigation, something they will be keen to avoid

;)

Soldato
I wonder who their auditors are. Paying finance on something they no longer have in their possession is something that should have been picked up. Even if it wasn't practical to see the car itself the V5 ought to have been verified.

This probably wasn't malicious, just inept.

I don't think reviewing the V5 for every single item of inventory held by a "major UK vehicle company" is a practical audit procedure somehow.

Associate
Not sure what your point is, given that's the correct spelling?

Ditto.

Possibly posted from a ZX Spectrum?

Too much texting and rap music IMO. It is rare that I ever spot a grammatical error so I will be celebrating for the rest of today starting with a smug of red whine.

Soldato
Haha yes I know it's spelt correctly but it has always amused me as a lad at school always maintained it was bare as it had nothing to do with bears. So the growl bit was an in joke for me. Not that I am perfect because I thought there was one place in the States called Arkansas and another called Arkansaw. Anyway it was early and I was a bit merry!

Caporegime
OP
So...bit of an update. I've spent the last fortnight chasing these folks and after contacting the finance company directly today...nothing has been done!
I'm now in direct contact with the company directors who are proving to be...evasive and perpetually on holiday.
I've had a bit of legal advice from a solicitor and also direct from the finance company who aren't too pleased themselves.
I've tried to do this informally and give them the benefit of the doubt so from today I've started formally issuing letters via recorded post and emails to keep a paper trail. I've also printed off my phone records to show when I contacted them first.
I do want to mention bmw who have been fantastic at providing me help.

Caporegime
OP
That's a tempting option! Managed to get a call back off one of them this evening so I'll be heading in to one of their branches tomorrow to have a chat with him. It's not the same guy I've been dealing with however it was his car originally so he should have some understanding.

Back
Top Bottom