The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Mobster
Soldato
my monitor has started flickering too?

I made a thread but no real answers:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18627745

THing is it started when I upgraded to 970's so i am unsure what is going on.
At desktop it is flickering bright/darker and text goes slightly blurry like not running at native res then back again.

What I noticed when i unplugged the DP cable from the monitor is that on the black background it appeared to still be doing it.

Is the monitor faulty?

I get a little bit of that, sometimes when it does do that and I look at a white background, its like it has a slight pink tinge to it too.

No mate, none at all and I always have plenty of browsers open and running. Something up with that monitor I suspect.

I have a feeling there's sometime up with it too, I've got amazon delivering a cable tomorrow, so if that doesnt fix it, its going back.

I do miss my SPVA though.

Soldato
To all of you ROG swift owners,

Do you see yourselves using this monitor in the next 5 years or so? If not, why do you think it wont last long?

I guess this question does not apply to those who live on the edge of technology but some of the users here might be on a similar boat. Im trying to weigh my options and want to know the opinions of users as when I buy a monitor I tend to keep it for a long time.

Depends on what else comes out. I mean, chances of me using the monitor in 5 years? Sure, i tend to have two monitors on my desk so if i upgrade this it'll be demoted to second screen. My old monitor has done just that, it's 3+ years old and it's replaced my dead DGM (if the DGM1440p was still working, might not be there!)

Associate
Yeah, I was in the exact same boat, down to the dodgy pink curtains in the captains quarters. I'll be keeping it for the foreseeable future, I can't think what else I'd need from a monitor other than multiple inputs, which I can get around by swapping a cable. I'm not interested in 4k.

The only thing that would see me ditch the rog would be a 32+ inch 120hz gsync 4k, so i dont think that will happen soon

Yep 5 years sounds fine, can't imagine what else I'd need in a monitor. Maybe a beer holder on the side?

Depends on what else comes out. I mean, chances of me using the monitor in 5 years? Sure, i tend to have two monitors on my desk so if i upgrade this it'll be demoted to second screen. My old monitor has done just that, it's 3+ years old and it's replaced my dead DGM (if the DGM1440p was still working, might not be there!)

Cheers for the input everyone. I guess its really up to the user how long the monitor lasts. Usually for me its not a big problem but when a proprietary feature is mixed in, it makes it hard to decide.

Associate
To all of you ROG swift owners,

Do you see yourselves using this monitor in the next 5 years or so? If not, why do you think it wont last long?

I guess this question does not apply to those who live on the edge of technology but some of the users here might be on a similar boat. Im trying to weigh my options and want to know the opinions of users as when I buy a monitor I tend to keep it for a long time.

I will be sticking with the ROG until a 3440x1440 21:9 144hz gsync monitor comes out. Cant see it happening any time soon but that would be my ultimate dream monitor.

Associate
I have this monitor plus my TV is connected using HDMI. The problem is I can't see post on ROG and monitor is only in operation once Windows7 is starting to load. If I unplug TV I can see POST info on ROG but I like to have both connected so I can switch on TV (or expand) when needed. Any thoughts what I can do to set ROG as a Primary screen outside Windows?

Associate
I have this monitor plus my TV is connected using HDMI. The problem is I can't see post on ROG and monitor is only in operation once Windows7 is starting to load. If I unplug TV I can see POST info on ROG but I like to have both connected so I can switch on TV (or expand) when needed. Any thoughts what I can do to set ROG as a Primary screen outside Windows?

I have the same thing. The post shows up on the TV then switches to the monitor once windows starts loading.

Associate
i think it's more a DP problem than the monitor itself. i have the same "issue", my secondary monitor on the DVI port takes precedence over DP when POSTing and booting windows.

Soldato
I will be sticking with the ROG until a 3440x1440 21:9 144hz gsync monitor comes out. Cant see it happening any time soon but that would be my ultimate dream monitor.

The market for 2560x1440 144Hz is small enough. I doubt that monitor - which would also make me do stuff in my pants - will ever come out :(

Soldato
I dont know if its just me or if this monitor is faulty, but WoW is a mess. There is horrible flicker in loading screens, opening menus and in game. I've tried 144Hz, 120Hz, 60Hz, disabling GSync and still nothing is helping. This cant be normal surely ?

I get it very briefly on my initial loading screens but then it never comes back whilst I am playing.

Associate
little correction 4096x2160 21:9 144hz gsync ips my dream hope 2-3 years my dream come true. :cool:

Honestly I'd rather have the fast response times of a TN as long as the TN is of the same standard as the ROG. IPS is great but for me it just doesn't cut the mustard for gaming.

Mobster
Soldato
Honestly I'd rather have the fast response times of a TN as long as the TN is of the same standard as the ROG. IPS is great but for me it just doesn't cut the mustard for gaming.

In all honesty, I couldnt always notice the difference with gync on or off at 144Hz, even at 120Hz. I played with the Swift using 144Hz and g-sync off, and with 60Hz Gsync on and In Skyrim, Borderlands 2, WoW, and Bioshock infinite (I didnt have my swift long enough to play more) I couldnt notice a difference.

My Swift was faulty as I had pretty bad flickering, some strobing, horrible hue's and pinky whites so It could have been the monitor I suppose.

Caporegime
In all honesty, I couldnt always notice the difference with gync on or off at 144Hz, even at 120Hz. I played with the Swift using 144Hz and g-sync off, and with 60Hz Gsync on and In Skyrim, Borderlands 2, WoW, and Bioshock infinite (I didnt have my swift long enough to play more) I couldnt notice a difference.

My Swift was faulty as I had pretty bad flickering, some strobing, horrible hue's and pinky whites so It could have been the monitor I suppose.

You played Bioshock infinite?! :eek:

http://community.amd.com/community/.../optimized-for-amd-bioshock-infinite-launches

:p

Sounds like you just got a faulty monitor!

Associate
Hi guys

Just bought this monitor and looking forward to receiving it tomorrow all being well :)

Just a quick question if anyone could help? The game I am playing at the moment is assassins creed 4 and is locked to a max of 63fps or somewhere around that but drops in to the 40s being badly optimised on PC. Now G-Sync should help with that from what I have read. Does the monitor automatically switch to 60hz or would I need to press a button on the monitor to get it to display at at 60hz when my desktop and other games run at 120hz?

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends on the game (I can try fire it up tonight). If it's engine locked at 60fps then it will likely default to 60hz, you can force 120/144hz with the overclock button on the side of the monitor.dips. on some games this will also force the game to sync up to 120/144 also :)

And yes, gsync will help no end with those dips.

Edit: what gpu are you using with it? Sig says cf270...

Back
Top Bottom