Double din headunit

Soldato
Hi guys, im looking at upgrading to a double din unit. My only requirements are for it to have a sat nav unit built in and to be able to play an ipod (i think anything wth usb will do but not 100% sure on this). Ive seen a Kenwood DNX4250BT which is the sort of price bracket im looking at. Hopefully someone can help as there dont seem to be many headunit reviews on the internet.

Cheers

Chris

Man of Honour
I had a high end Kenwood DNN9230DAB and it was pretty dire. It took around 90 seconds to fully boot up and then it was glitchy and slow. For the price I paid for it I was pretty disgusted at its performance.

Underboss
Hi guys, im looking at upgrading to a double din unit. My only requirements are for it to have a sat nav unit built in and to be able to play an ipod (i think anything wth usb will do but not 100% sure on this). Ive seen a Kenwood DNX4250BT which is the sort of price bracket im looking at. Hopefully someone can help as there dont seem to be many headunit reviews on the internet.

Cheers

Chris

does your car take double dins or single?

Man of Honour
Thats exactly why i would like peoples opinions.:D

The unit was over £1k and had a lot of features, nav, BT, iPod, wifi, ran on Android etc etc. Maybe they crammed in too much on a RISC type CPU, I don't know, but I wasn't a huge fan of it. Bit of a waste of money really.

If buying again I'd definitely go into a decent car audio shop where they have these types of units on display and ask for them to be powered up in front of you, let you play with moving between nav and iPod etc.

Soldato
Just bought a Pioneer AVIC-F960DAB which looks to be a roughly comparable price and has navigation etc in it. Should be arriving today so I'll give some feedback on it later. I have an AVH-X3600DAB right now which I'm quite happy with but I wanted something with navigation and CarPlay support hence the upgrade.

Soldato
OP
Just bought a Pioneer AVIC-F960DAB which looks to be a roughly comparable price and has navigation etc in it. Should be arriving today so I'll give some feedback on it later. I have an AVH-X3600DAB right now which I'm quite happy with but I wanted something with navigation and CarPlay support hence the upgrade.

Ok it would be interesting to see what you think, how much did you pay?

Soldato
I got it for £655. First impressions are that it's very good. Sounds great and has all the functionality I wanted with a decent interface. Navigation seems to work quite well and the interface is intuitive enough. I'm more than happy with it so far.

That said I have two issues left to resolve - the first is my reverse camera, the reverse sense isn't working correctly at the moment. The second is that I cannot work out how to update the maps, that system seems needlessly complicated but when I've got it worked out it'll be fine.

Let me know if there's any specifics you want to know.

Edit: OK fixed the maps update situation, it was a bit of an odd process but got there in the end. Just my reverse cam sensing to fix now.

Last edited:
Soldato
My cam situation is sorted so it's all good now. Let me know if you want to know any specifics.

There is also the AVIC-F960BT which I believe is the same head unit but without DAB. So if you're not fussed about digital radio then that would save you £60 or so. If you are fussed about digital radio then be aware that none of the Pioneer head units come with DAB antennas so you'd need to throw another £20 or so at it if you wanted to use DAB.

They do come with a GPS antenna though so you're fine on that front.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Im not too bothered by dab as listening to it at home it tends to loose signal in a fixed position. TBH the 960 was the one i had my eye on. Does it come with a fascia adapter?

Back
Top Bottom