Anyone living in an Apartment?

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Hi,

I'm looking at a move to a new city and have been considering a central apartment rather than a house in the Suburbs. A few friends have warned me off due to noise issues they experienced in their apartment (they broke the lease 6 months in to get out due to noise).

Just wondered if anyone else had a central apartment and could give their experiences.

Thanks.

Soldato
All depends on the place and how it's been built.

This.

I live in a small block of apartments (flats) with 3 floors 2 flats per floor. Can't hear talking which is good but as soon as anyone wants to close a door or walk downstairs and everyone knows. Personally i think its all about the neighbours. We're on the top floor again can't hear any talking but because they had the TV on the wall you can hear everything. Then there's the smoking. Yes they are not allowed but the Darwins think no one will notice if they smoke through the toilet vents. Where you you think the connected vents go to... Yup my bathroom. Luckily they moved out now.

So yes, apartments are good..*. :cool:

*Cannot wait to have enough for a deposit for a house.

Soldato
I'm in an apartment. Can't hear a damn thing. It's so quiet, i'm scared to walk around with boots on incase I wake someone up. In reality, I suspect the walls and floors are just 6 feet thick as it's a renovated Mill rather than a new build apartment block.

Soldato
Can't hear anything from the neighbours in my flat. I'm ground floor and hear nothing from above.

Just the once in summer when it was boiling and everyone had the windows open. Someone bought a really loud girl back and they were at it all night.

Soldato
I've lived in a flat once or twice and I didn't care for it much, basically forced me to rent a 3 bed because there was no garage/ shed or even loft to store all me tools and stuff and I needed a room for my instruments on top of the room to make up for storage space.

And welding where there's carpet is just not practical, you need to put down some ply or something and put a shower cap over the smoke detector and then it stinks the house out.

Horrible having nowhere to sit and drink beer when it's hot outside as well, save for going to the pub and there aren't many beer gardens in the city to be fair.

I'm not a big fan of flat living no, but I never had noise problems on account of it being an older building with proper walls and floors and high off the ground.

Associate
I was 7 floors up above a mainish road and the general traffic wasnt too bad but scooters + sirens were horrible the noise just travelled up.
And in the summer my god it got hot no airflow through the flat at all. Noise from neighbours was minimal though if any.

Man of Honour
I lived in an apartment in the US and a flat in the UK. The flat in the UK was nice because it was well built, the apartment in the us was a cess pit with roaches, red necks and crack dealers and the neighbours were even worse.

Permabanned
Make sure you check if the neighbours have dogs. My old flat was pretty much silent other than the downstairs neighbours dog barking. Never heard them or their telly etc but that mutt was loud.

Soldato
I live in a 1st floor corner flat in a block that is around 12 floors high, and has ~6 per floor. Because of the layout of the building, I only actually have neighbours on one side, and above me. This is because their are the stairs and some open space between each "set" of flats, and my flat is over the exit into the garden area.

No noise, can hear upstairs if they are moving furniture/dropping stuff on the floor, but never hear anything else really, except from outside. make sure your windows don't open onto a road if noise is an issue for you, as it makes it is stupidly louder than having your bedroom windows opening at the back/side.

Corner flat means it gets good airflow 97% of the time too, so its not too hot.

Seperate living room, kitchen and bathroom is also nice to have, but then again so it open plan as it feels much bigger then.

My neighbours have complained to me once about noise, and that was when I played music from my bedroom so we could hear it in the front room, since the PC in the front room randomly broke and I was too drunk to fix it. They told me, I realised how stupid I was being, and I turned it down/off. I gave them a bottle of wine to apologise. Not had any other issues in three years of living here.

Associate
I lived on the top floor city centre in a 10 year old build, it really is down to neighbours. Get considerate ones then you're fine, get the ones who constantly smoke out of their balcony doors in the summer and you'll get smoke billowing into your room. Doors slamming constantly etc. You'll also get people having social events constantly as your pad is in the "city centre" so people's friends will abuse this. Oh and Washer/Driers are horrible to use - get used to having your washing on a clothes horse 6 days out of 7.

Soldato
Just do it and see what its like. Its impossible to say as like others have said a big factor is neighbours.

Go for it, don't like it then move out after your lease.

Soldato
Hi,

I'm looking at a move to a new city and have been considering a central apartment rather than a house in the Suburbs. A few friends have warned me off due to noise issues they experienced in their apartment (they broke the lease 6 months in to get out due to noise).

Just wondered if anyone else had a central apartment and could give their experiences.

Thanks.

If you are worried about that sort of thing then it is probably not for you.

Associate
I live in a middle floor flat as it was all I could afford to buy as a student and with prices so high here. The flat is modern however and I don't hear the neighbours at all. In fact it makes me paranoid because maybe they are just really quiet and they have to put up with me watching TV to 12:00am every night.

Permabanned
In fact it makes me paranoid because maybe they are just really quiet and they have to put up with me watching TV to 12:00am every night.

Turn your TV on then go ask the neighbours if they can hear it. Gives you an excuse to introduce yourself at the same time.

Soldato
Once lived in a city centre, bit of a dump student flat with single glazing, noise was unreal from the street, but you adapt to it, it's only when I moved elsewhere that I realised how badly my health, physical and mental, was damaged, make sure you have single/triple glazing and the walls are soundproof.

Back
Top Bottom