Japanese Grand Prix 2014, Suzuka - Race 15/19

smr

smr

Soldato
TediousConsiderateBlacknorwegianelkhound.gif

213kph before Jules aquaplaned. Around 130mph.

Associate
I've just seen phone camera footage of the crash as it happened and it's clear as day.

No amount of roll cages would have helped. My God it was horrendous. The car went under the back of the 15 tonne JCB at high speed and the bumper of the thing was at perfect eye level height...

I'm amazed he's still alive.

While the crash was indeed horrendous, you have to look at what the single roll hoop did infact achieve. I would guess it was the main reason the the CAT loader (only 6.5t not 15t) was thrown out of the way. Perhaps an enclosed cockpit would have provided further protection to the driver.

That is assuming that the actual collision and not the rapid deceleration caused the injuries.

Soldato
"Concussion may be a milder type of diffuse axonal injury.[6]"

I think the quote is "The family revealed he suffered a diffuse axonal injury and is regarded as "critical but stable". "

So we still don't know how severe it actually is

News article released not that long ago states however

According to the web resource brainandspinalcord.org, a diffuse axonal injury is 'one of the most common traumatic brain injuries' and that 'instead of occurring in a specific area', the injury 'occurs over a more widespread area'.

The website states that 'diffuse axonal injury isn’t the result of a blow to the head. Instead, it results from the brain moving back and forth in the skull as a result of acceleration or deceleration.

However, it adds that 'in addition to being one of the most common types of brain injuries, it’s also one of the most devastating'.

Soldato
"Jules remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the Mie General Medical Centre in Yokkaichi. He has suffered a diffuse axonal injury [when the head is rapidly accelerated or decelerated] and is in a critical but stable condition," the family said.
"The medical professionals at the hospital are providing the very best treatment and care and we are grateful for everything they have done for Jules since his accident."
The statement added: "This is a very difficult time for our family, but the messages of support and affection for Jules from all over the world have been a source of great comfort to us. We would like to express our sincere appreciation."

So looks like he did not hit his head

source
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29521187

Soldato
Anyone think we should make a separate thread for the information/updates on Jules (maybe a thread for the repercussions/possible future solutions too)? It could well be an ongoing topic and we don't want news getting lost in other threads.

Man of Honour
OP
Valid point. We have another race thread coming up too.

Shimmy is slacking the Russian GP thread should have been started by now. :p

I did ask earlier in the thread whether to make it on Monday as usual as I knew Jules would be the dominating talking point quite rightly.

I know it's in jest, but I'll make the new thread tomorrow morning. Just got home and need some sleep :p

Back
Top Bottom