CIM Qualifications

Associate
Hi folks,

Just wondered if anyone has studied for a qualification via the Chartered Institute of Marketing? If so, was it valuable to your career?

I'm debating whether to study for my Diploma in Professional Marketing. I understood there would be a course fee and a fee to become a member of CIM. But after further reading there are also module fees, registration fees, and assessment fees too... :eek: Can't help but wonder if there is a cheaper method of gaining a similar qualification?

Is it worth becoming a member of CIM for the resources that become available?

Any advice/info would be appreciated :)

Soldato
Yes, I have done the CIM qualifications. Was it valuable to my career? Hell yes. Impossible to get a top Marketing job without one.

I was a Marketing Manager for a Premiership Football Club and held various marketing positions in the media before I do what I do now.

My email address is in my trust account if you want any further advice but there isn't much more to say other than DO IT. And definitely do and digital/social media marketing ones you can.

Re: costs, shop around. Prices are not fixed and some places charge different amounts than others.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I am also considering doing this. YSMN might drop you a line.

Main concern for me is that I went through my Uni notes and assessments recently (from over 10 years ago :eek:) and there was a lot of theory stuff (Durkheim, Freud, Lacan, Barthes) which I found hard to grasp.

The practical modules I was good at though - DTP, HTML, video and radio production - all things I have used throughout my career so far.

Have to agree that I have seen a lot of job ads in the last couple of years where their screening questions actually ask if you have a CIM or IDM qualification... I often wonder if the companies asking for those actually know what they are asking about... :confused:

10 years was a long time ago though and of course I have learnt a lot more and can apply myself more ;) so haven't written off the idea totally. I think it would definitely be an investment and if my current company can help towards the cost all the better.

Actually saw a discussion on LinkedIn today

BB x

Associate
OP
Thanks for the sensible replies :)

YSMN - In your opinion, is it worth working towards Chartered Marketer?

BB - I doubt I would find my Uni modules as easy as I did back then either. But like you said, things have changed considerably in 10 years. My mind-set is completely different and things have changed from a marketing perspective too. That LinkedIn discussion is interesting too! Definitely food for thought. Is there a specific qualification you were looking at?

My issue is that my employer most definitely wouldn't pay for the qualification. But I'll take the time to shop around if prices vary elsewhere.

Soldato
Chartered Marketer status isn't going to open any more doors than a CIM qual. What it does do is get you networking with Marketing professionals as you have to attend the CPD sessions.

The CPD sessions are usually organised by your local branch and are guest speakers of decent calibre. This draws in new people and if you are one of those people who can network and make good friends quickly, it's a good way to make connections for jobs that come up. Or to acquire work if you work for an agency.

The qualification doesn't really teach you anything new or magical marketing techniques; you learn those on the job through managing campaigns. It's all very theoretical and if you are expecting to come back a Marketing guru then you will be sorely disappointed. You will find some top level jobs want a CIM qual as part of the candidate specification and without one you will not get the interview though and that is the sole reason I did my quals.

The one off courses after you have your CIM or CPD sessions are the valuable ones to keep you updated. I went to an SEO course at Google HQ last year which was great and cost me nothing. L'Oreal paid for it (because i'm worth it?! :p) so I could help some of their client salons out.

Associate
OP
The qualification doesn't really teach you anything new or magical marketing techniques; you learn those on the job through managing campaigns. It's all very theoretical and if you are expecting to come back a Marketing guru then you will be sorely disappointed. You will find some top level jobs want a CIM qual as part of the candidate specification and without one you will not get the interview though and that is the sole reason I did my quals.

That's pretty much where I feel I'm at now - at a stage in career when I need to aim higher and CIM would give me an edge.

Thank you :) Really useful advice.

Caporegime
What does "Chartered" mean?

The professional body has a royal charter (usually)... various organisations exist in the UK & commonwealth to represent different professions - they often award professional credentials. I.e. Chartered Accountants will belong to one of a few Accountancy organisations with a royal charter.

Other professional bodies don't have royal charters but seem to have adopted the word for a bit of prestige... i.e. 'Chartered' Financial Analysts.

Back
Top Bottom